1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Cenda's pony drawings

Discussion in 'Art and Drawings' started by Cendaquenta, 19 July 2013.

1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I'm somewhat nervous about this, but here goes.
    Occasionally I do pony fan-art. I don't think I'm all that good at it just yet, but I've reached the stage where I feel comfortable sharing it with others and requesting critique/feedback. So first off I'd like to share some drawings I've done over the past just-under-a-year.
    [​IMG]
    I've posted this everywhere in the drawing request threads, so sorry for the repetition - repetition - repetition. :p This was the first pony drawing of mine I was ever actually happy with and also spawned my OC - who, fair warning, turns up quite a lot in my drawings.
    PIC_0475.JPG
    I consider this one my first "proper" bit of fan-art, rather than just doodling. It's an illustration for a fanfic I never wrote (again a recurring theme with my art), concerning filly-Derpy's first experience with Hearts and Hooves Day and also her first meeting with the equally young Time Turner.
    I don't know why I gave it a title, I just named it after a song I was singing.
    PIC_0481.JPG
    PIC_0482.JPG
    This was a learning experience more than anything, although as you can see it ultimately didn't turn out as well as it could have - it was my first bit of fan-art using references (the trading cards), first time drawing Discord, and first time drawing a non-pony. Just a bit of concept art of what Discord and Fluttershy's kid would look like, which isn't a new idea at all as fan-art goes. One positive though, I like how Fluttershy's mane turned out.
    (More recent stuff now - from within the past couple of months.)
    PIC_0476.JPG
    More illustrations from a non-existent fic. This is maybe my favourite out of the stuff I've done.
    PIC_0477.JPG
    Just a little bit of funny/silly/meta stuff.
    PIC_0478.JPG
    More humour/minor crossover. Rarity's mane was a bit of a nightmare - I was sincerely glad I didn't have room for her tail.
    (These drawings are the most recent - from today.)
    PIC_0479.JPG
    First time drawing a proper alicorn. Celestia, baby-Cadance, baby-Chrysalis. This was fine at the drawing stage, then went completely haywire when I tried to colour it as I used completely the wrong materials. I'll try and re-draw this a while down the line once I get more practised.
    PIC_0480.JPG
    Also known as Super Manly Celestia. Would have been decent but for huge chin. Another do-over at some point in the future.
    [​IMG]
    As the title suggests, this was inspired by the Last Post Wins thread. This picture is actually what inspired me to share the rest of my stuff after seeing the incredibly positive reception it got, so I owe thanks to all participants of that thread. :)

So, in conclusion - please tell me what you think. Any comments and/or advice will be appreciated!

#1 Cendaquenta, 19 July 2013
    Last edited: 19 July 2013
  2. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

Love that last pic! (totally not biased at all) <3

One thing I'm wondering though, how much sketching do you do?
    There doesn't seem to be any sketch lines in the photos, unless you erase them or sketch elsewhere, but if you don't then I'd highly suggest doing sketches (and don't be afraid to post some - it can sometimes be easier for others to spot issues from sketches!)

Other than that, I would suggest looking at some pony shaping and sizing tutorials/guides (that'd stop things like manly chinned Celestia - unless you wanted such a thing. xD)

3. Cendaquenta

I do sketch - I draw the entire thing in pencil, then go over the outlines in pen and erase the pencil marks. Problems tend to arise when I forget bits during the pencil stage, for example, Celestia's wings in the Manlylestia pic. I also tend to work better from referring to screenshots - today's pics were done using trading card references if any, as was the Fluttercord pic, whereas the better ones (SS and Twist, Cosplay) work off screenshots.
    I'll definitely have a look for tutorials and such - I've heard some good things about the official drawing book, so I may try to find that.

4. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

There's nothing wrong with references, I use them all the time, I've not seen this official drawing book, but something like that would definitely come in handy!

5. Coastie

Coastie Aerospace Pony.

I clearly also particularly like the last pic :)

Am completely unqualified to critique in any possible way, but would love to see more!

6. Cendaquenta

Sweetie Belle hugging Wall-E, because... robots. And because why the heck not.

PIC_0485.JPG
    Didn't quite get the colours right on Wall-E, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.
    PIC_0483.JPG

Bexy164, Coastie and Pigasus like this.
  7. Java

Java Coffee pony. Former UKofE Admin.

Some great pictures, and some really interesting ideas, I look forward to seeing more!

Cendaquenta likes this.
  8. Cendaquenta

[​IMG]

Just a little thing I did for the "Draw a lil something about yourself" thread - the challenge was to draw your OC/ponysona with your favourite Mane 6 pony and favourite MLP villian. The green pegasus, Marked Page, is my attempt to make a proper ponysona.

Bexy164 likes this.
  9. Cendaquenta

*sudden thread revival*

PIC_0500.JPG

Wow, I haven't drawn much lately. This is just something I thought up yesterday - Pinkie visits the Mirror Pool right before it's sealed up and comes across baby Surprise, who's some kind of side-effect from the "Too Many Pinkie Pies" thing.
    Was a bit worried about Pinkie's mane, but I think it came out pretty well personally, if maybe a bit less... "floofy" than it should be. The posing was kinda difficult though - need to read some more tutorials/find better screenshots to reference.

Bexy164 likes this.
  10. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

Pinkie's hair looks alright to me, perhaps it's just a bit too low on the top?

Posing ponies gets easier the more you draw them, but having plenty of things to reference does help, you don't always need to use screenshots from the show for that - fan art can work too, you just need to be careful that it's mainly show-accurate.

11. Cendaquenta

Something I drew at a meet today. I think I might actually work better without references, as I didn't draw this with any (apart from one for the Pegasus wings) and I think it's ended up as one of my better pieces.
    PIC_0521.JPG
    PIC_0519.JPG
    PIC_0520.JPG
    Only possibly-iffy bits are Page's wings and a slight scale issue - Page should probably be a little larger in comparison to Shade. Not really a big deal though, just something I can improve upon next time.

12. Cendaquenta

Yay, more OCs. I should probably draw more canon ponies. (Just mistyped that as "conan ponies", come to think of it I could draw them too...)
    PIC_0525.JPG
    Marked Page indulging in one of my favourite activities - bookshopping! ... This is obviously not Tri's favourite activity, however.
    Was feeling slightly lazy with this one, hence the scribbled-in background and Page's copied stock-vector pose.

Bexy164 likes this.
  13. Cendaquenta

As promised, some canon ponies.
    And manes are the bane of my life. Or at least my drawing skills.

PIC_0526.JPG

Bexy164 and Coastie like this.
  14. Cendaquenta

PIC_0527.JPG

Completed just about an hour ago, for display in Glasgow's Geek Retreat. Biggest group drawing I've ever done, including many characters I hadn't drawn before. Very, very happy with it! :D A few minor faults (ponies not all the same size, Rarity's missing magic aura), but all in all, it's turned out very well I think. Looking forward to showing it to the Glasgow bronies on Saturday!

Bexy164, Dax, Coastie and 1 other person like this.
  15. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

That certainly is a lot of ponies!

Good job on working through it all and having them all pretty consistent.

16. Cendaquenta

*bumps*
    Just a little basic drawing of Zecora.

PIC_0541.JPG

I'd say this is probably my most show-accurate image so far. It was originally intended to be an alicorn version of Zecora, but I decided that was a bit too complex for my first time drawing the character - I might still draw it at some point in the future though.

Bexy164 and Dax like this.
  17. mattyhex

mattyhex Fwuffy Cheetah

That is very close to show style, are you wanting to become show-accurate or stick with your own style?

18. Cendaquenta

Er... hey. It's only been six months. :oops:
    Have a good reason for the revival though!

PIC_0609.JPG
    @Dylia

Hopefully, I'll be able to motivate myself to keep this alive now. Will probably start uploading the few bits and pieces I did over the unplanned hiatus over the next day or two.

Bexy164, Dylia and Pigasus like this.
  19. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

Aww! Do you think you could scan it in if possible? I'd like to use it as my avatar. :D

20. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

looks like youre getting the hang of it now.