1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Furries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Mysticolt, 7 March 2013.

1. Mysticolt

Mysticolt Ponyholic

I've noticed how so many people from the UK Fur forums love MLP:FIM, and there's always Bronies who are also Furs at most meet ups, with the big overlap in the fandoms, so I thought; "Hey, let's have a thread to discuss all things fuzzy and anthro!"

I've always loved shows like Road Rovers, Biker Mice From Mars, Hamtaro, Pokemon, Bucky O'Hare, MLP, Thundercats, Ninja Turtles ...... And games like Starfox, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, WoW, Sonic...

What are your favourite Anthro Animal shows/games/etc? Do you identify as a Fur? Do you have a Fursona? What is it? Do you go to meetups/ conventions like in the Brony fandom?

2. Lyraboy

Lyraboy Lyra fanboy

I've never identified as a furry and I'd never go so far as to have a fursona, but I've certainly enjoyed anthro cartoons in the past. Swat Kats and Sonic Sat AM spring to mind.

3. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

[​IMG]
    Actually I s'pose it might not get insta-locked this time.

4. sub

sub EQC Co-Founder

Well, I have this bear. I'm not sure if I'd consider it a persona as I just like making characters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The thing with the furry fandom is there are about 10 different definitions of what one is - I've heard "it's what you consider yourself to be" but I don't see how that can really work in terms of a fandom.

5. Mysticolt

Mysticolt Ponyholic

There've been threads like this locked before? Were people bad?

6. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

Yeah, I think at one point furry threads were insta-deleted because they just degenerated into insults every time.

Might be wrong though.

7. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

We're happy to let this thread play out for the time being, though as Iain said these sorts of threads have been quite volatile in the past so we are keeping and extra close eye on this one and will close it if it gets out of hand. :)

8. Mysticolt

Mysticolt Ponyholic

Aww... :( I hoped this Fandom was above insulting each other, what with all the love and tolerance.

9. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

Well, it might last this time ;)

To answer the question, I've never really been interested in the fandom. Most of the time anthro doesn't do anything for me. But there are some exceptions, and I've seen some furry art I loved.

Kinda wonder which animal would suit me best for a fursona, actually.

10. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

no fandom is. you will always get haters.

11. Deadpanda

Deadpanda 'Baby Arm' Wilkins

Controversy! :)
    No I dont really know anything about it.

What exactly is a furry?
    Assuming its not just what 4chan makes it out to be :D

12. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

True of everything in life, not just fandoms.

13. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Tell the truth i'm not really sure about the ins and out of furries as the whole thing never really appealed to me. However saying that most of my impressions of it is from that episode of CSI.

14. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

Ok, I'm just going to clear a few things up. I am an ex-furry myself, if you wondered about my fursona, it was under the same name as this with the species being a male calico house cat.

A furry is basically anyone who associates themselves strongly with animals, likes dressing up as animals (cosplay/fursuiting), anthropomorphic animals/animal cartoon characters, or even I'd go as far as saying anyone that has an interest in animals as much that they draw original art inspired by animals.

There are some other definitions out there which frankly are quite absurd, and rather akin to the 'dark side' of this fandom. Unfortunately, because of the age of the furry fandom, it seems to have deteriorated and dissolved into this 'alternate definition' meaning the subject sparks a lot of controversy and hate, even when it's just people like you and I that are just there because we like animals.

I do still love animals as much as I always have done, but although I fit in with my own definition which I believe is more 'correct', I have had some bad experiences with other furries online and in real life, so I don't wish to associate myself with them any more. Whilst I was a furry, I did also engage in roleplay as my fursona, but have since lost interest in it.

Oh gosh, this is exactly the sort of thing the general public think of when they think of furries. The majority are not like that at all.

15. Greetings

Greetings Greetings

I think the furry fandom is grate!
    Although I dislike the dark side of it, but in the same way that I dislike the dark side of our fandom.
    I know many furrys and from what I have seen and herd, most of them are a good people.
    Plus they are quite the creative community like us Bronys; producing art, music, fanfics and animations.
    I do find some of the things they do a bit odd e.g fur-suits, but that maybe because I don't understand the true worth of it.
    At the end of the day Furrys and Bronys are quite alike, it's just that Bronys have just become a bit more widespread and well known!
    It has also become to be view as a bit more acceptable by the main stream.

16. Deadpanda

Deadpanda 'Baby Arm' Wilkins

That clears things up for me ^^
    Not so bad after all.

17. Sweet Tale

Sweet Tale Honorary Pony

When I was younger, I was very much into the furry fandom. Over the past five years, I've kind of just drifted away from it as I wasn't as interested in it anymore. But at the time I was, I loved all the creations that people came up with for their fursonas.

18. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

Huh, y'know, I never thought about stuff like Crash Bandicoot and WoW effectively having anthro animals in them. Simply never occured to me. And Crash Bandicoot was one of my favourite games growing up.

Sweet Tale likes this.
  19. Jupitris

Jupitris Habitual Pony

That first one went a few page.
    Though when I saw this, I was thinking "I wonder if anyone still here remembers the last one"

I give this thread 9 days.

Also to answer the OP.
    I really like sonic, that's like furry right?
    But no, not a furry.
    Seeing as generally stuff with animals doesn't interest me any more or less than not. (Is that how it works?)

20. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

Also former furry, kind of fell out of it because
    The bat fursona I had was pretty rockin' though, and I would kind of like to still do something with him if I could. My pony character is pretty much just a pony version of my old fursona too, so I guess he kind of lives on that way.

electrokitty likes this.