1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Furries

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Mysticolt, 7 March 2013.

1. Biscuit Joint

Biscuit Joint One with the forests

Happy to answer your questions ^^

1. Really depends on the method you use, some build a mesh frame to foam and fur over, others build up using foam then shape and fur, others still will start with a large block of foam and carve down. Hand sewing and trimming can take a long time but with enough patience, practice and attention to detail the results can be great. Hand sewing is definitely more difficult, machine sewing is easier but may be prone to jamming depending on fur length.

2. Again this depends on the material you use, some use felt, some use leatherette, most studios use cold cast foam rubber or silicone which will require a mold and can be expensive.

3. Hot, uncomfortable, disorientating and exhausting but oh so rewarding. The best example i can think of is if you go wrap up in a scarf and your thickest clothes, add a hot water bottle, two duvets and sit by a radiator. That'll give you an approximation of a sunny day in june.

Vision is usually quite poor too, there was a funny story once where there was a little kid behind me and I actually...
    probably not a good story for here. :p

Ryan, CrikeyoRilley and Bexy164 like this.
  2. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

Interesting. This post has not put me off the idea

Biscuit Joint likes this.
  3. Biscuit Joint

Biscuit Joint One with the forests

It's definitely worth it, same as cosplay you'll get out what you put in, craft time wise or money wise if you commission.

Bexy164 likes this.
  4. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Ha, funnily enough, my browser over the last few days is almost purely this... After missing out of the DJ head in the Buck Auction. I've been in quite a productive mood.

5. Open Book

Open Book Now with Breaking Bad.

Well, seems I'm going to my first fur meet on Saturday (as its a private meet on fb I think I shouldn't divulge where out of respect) I'm very exited. I've been finding myself searching for furry art quite a bit recently, seeing some disney/bluth films in a new light and also I've got many good friends who are more into the furry fandom than bronies. Where will this lead me? Will Confuzzled call me next year? Will I even end up as a suiter? Who knows?
    So I'm going to list my favourite animal characters in no particular order. There might be too many to list though.
    • Rita (animaniacs) she's beautiful, cuddly, she's Bernadette Peters and she's unloved in her world, what's not to love.
    • The Caterpillar (alice in wonderland) this has to be the guiltiest pleasure I have. He just sits on a mushroom like a throne, smokes a hookah pipe, rudely contradicts alice and not long after he appears out of nowhere he's gone for good. But he's a great image.
    • The Cheshire Cat (ditto '51 film) How cool is he? He's pink and purple striped, he can appear and disappear at will, He says my favourite line in the story "oh you can't help that, we're all mad here!" Which should be a good way of thinking, but mostly, he doesn't seem to be on anyone's side like anyone else in the story, this makes it uncertain what he's going to do next. Also Check out Mindy in wonderland from Animaniacs for another amazing interpretation.
    • The Gryphon (ditto '99 film) the best thing about this live action film with Jim Henson puppets has to be this unappreciated character. So much detail. I think that's enough AIW for now!
    • Angel (lady and the tramp 2) who has seen this one? For a disney DTVS it's quite enjoyable. But then there's Angel. Whoa, what a character. I highly recommend this film just to meet her!
    • Aislig (the secret of kells) Im cheating a bit because her main form is human, but she's a wolf fairy and I have to mention her when I can.
    • Annabelle, the angel whippet (all dogs go to heaven) found out that in one of the sequels, she has an evil cousin called Belladonna, wonder if they're the same dog but got split in two at one point.
    • Fievel Mouskawitz (American tail)
    • Mrs Brisby (Secret of NIMH)
    • The Last Unicorn/The Cat (same name)
    • Everyone from Zootopia/tripoli so
    I could go on, but I think i make my point.

#265 Open Book, 11 May 2016
    Last edited: 12 May 2016
    CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  6. CrikeyoRilley

Enjoy your meet, there are usually plenty going on here and there. You just have to loooooook for it.

7. Open Book

That's why it's taken a bit to find one near me.

8. Open Book

Time for an update...
    I really enjoyed my first furmeet and ill certainly head for more. As a newbie without even a tail etc. I discovered an inner energy that erupted out of nowhere. Giant living plushies posing on the grass, hugging and simply spreading joy to all, my squee levels were out of control! I couldn't help laughing at the normal people passing by and their various reactions. In the words of Ice Cube "It was a Good Day!"

CrikeyoRilley likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It's odd, really: for the most part, furry meetups seem to keep themselves much more private than brony meets -- there's nothing like UK of E, where meets are organised out in public, for example. Yet with the suit walks, all of a sudden you have people being far more publicly visible than almost any brony meet would be! It's an interesting contrast.

Biscuit Joint likes this.
  10. CrikeyoRilley

Holy Manbags this looked amazing! I'm pulling a sicky next year if I am not already rota'd off. Hope all the Confuzzled fans enjoyed themselves. All in Brum as well! Think thats @Electuroo representing at the front also Reedy Creek and a few other pony's :)

CjjzVGvWsAAvjUX.jpg

Tad, Corduroy Road, Ryan and 4 others like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Pony

I've been pretty curious to find out more about the furry fandom recently - it seems just as creative with all the artwork/fursuits etc. I'm going to attend the Pony & Furry camping trip on the 24th-27th, as that seemed like a good way to bridge the gap and talk to some peeps without committing to paying for a convention :p

Out of interest, is anyone else going along to that? (Maybe I should start a thread if no-one has already?)

EDIT: Oh, I found one; http://ukofequestria.co.uk/threads/pony-and-furry-camp-2016.17175/

#270 Ryan, 14 June 2016
    Last edited: 14 June 2016
  12. CrikeyoRilley

I wanted to go to the last one and thought I'd be able to get over to this one, but couldn't get the time off work. Hope you have a great time, everyone seems to be very chill and hope the weather gets better for you.
    Should I find any last minute replacements at work I may turn up if I can wangle it with the organisers or the campsite for a plot. But it would be very last minute.

Ryan likes this.
  13. Open Book

Got persuaded by a friend to come to the Londonfurs Summer weekender in a months time! That will be pretty awesome, They have a boat on the river and everything!

Ryan likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Pony

Ahh, work :mad: My friend is caught up in work too, so she's only able to come down for the Sunday evening and catch the last of it. She's only just over an hour away though so she's able to pop down after work. I guess that's no really so viable from... (reads location) ...Cheshire :p If you can figure a way to make it though, I'm sure the organisers will try to accommodate you - they do seem very chill and helpful :)

Thanks, and yeah I hope the weather gets better too! :p

15. Ialyrn Aeloria

Ialyrn Aeloria The Unknown Entity

There is UKfur. It is a private website, where in you need to be registered for access. But it does allow one to arrange meets in the same way we do here on UKoE.

16. Loganberry

Yeah, I've had a UKfur account for years, though I don't log in very often. But that's the point I was making: you don't even need to be a UK of E member to see our meet threads, whereas you do need to be a UKfur member to see the UKfur ones.

17. Ialyrn Aeloria

Ah, I think that is to do with the age limit on the site. Plus a fair few of the furry meets can end up in a pub, so yeh.

#276 Ialyrn Aeloria, 22 June 2016
    Last edited: 22 June 2016
  18. Loganberry

The site's age limit could well be the main reason, yes. I can't actually remember what it is, since I go there so rarely, but I suspect I'm just about old enough to be okay. :p

Not sure about the pub thing, though. The Worcester ponymeets were in pubs quite a bit in the old days, and the UK PonyCon pre-meet was in a Spoons last year. Both discussed publicly here on UK of E.

Ryan and Ialyrn Aeloria like this.
  19. Ialyrn Aeloria

Not really sure then.

UKfur age limit is 16 by the by.

20. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

The minimum age to sign up for UKFur is 18, pretty much because they allow NSFW content to be discussed. :)

(That may or may not have changed.. I haven't logged into UKFur in years. :p )

Loganberry likes this.
  21. Loganberry

I have a vague memory that the age limit for furmeets themselves tends to be 16. I'm not sure why that age was chosen, but it's the same age where you can go to an (all-ages) con without an adult so I guess that may be relevant. Someone who actually attends the things might be able to say why it's 16 rather than 18, since I'm not exactly the most active furry in the country. :p