1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

(Magical Miracle) Public Art Dump+Critique Thread

Discussion in 'Art and Drawings' started by InLucidReverie, 20 July 2012.

1. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

Cool! I think the gradient background as a ground to lift the figures is interesting, as although the figures look flat, the contrast makes them look more distinct.

I'd suggest to vary the quality of line, and by that I mean making the line thinner in places than others. You might make the line thicker where there is more body mass, or perhaps thinner where light hits a plane or surface. This brings me to the form of the figure. There isn't really a sense of three-dimensionality as the forms appear flat with no sense of contour (except for maybe the unicorn's horn). If you can imagine that the forms you are drawing are three dimensional, and visualize them in you mind's eye; you would be drawing forms rather than symbols. As they are shown here, the forms are rather flat and side on, almost like Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.

What really get's me is the shape of the pony's hair/ mane with the light lavender streak at the horn between the two other bangs of the darker plum colour. Everything looks fairly organic, and that sharp geometric rendering of the hair is a little jarring. Perhaps try to follow the contour of the hair, and imagine gravity affecting it. Of course, geometric forms should be applied, but here I think it looks a little strange. If you're interested in playing with flat forms versus illusiory and apparent three-dimensional forms and geometry, look up some works by Picasso and Braque on analytical and synthetic cubism.

There's nothing wrong with a flat, graphic aesthetic, but in my opinion a static pose like this could be enhanced with a cool rendering style or interesting composition to compensate. The composition is centered and smack-bang in the middle, and the application of colour is excuted in segments of homogenous, unmodulated segments. This reminds me of stain glass windows from Gothic architecture, Japanese Ukyo-e prints and Paul Gauguin and Emilé Bernard at the Pont-Aven school with their cloissonisme. If you're interested in making art in this fashion, I highly suggest looking up Gauguin, Bernard (others from the Pont-Aven school wouldn't hurt), Gothic architecture (particularly stain glass windows) and prints from Ando Hiroshige.

I really do like the gaze and interaction of the two figures as their smiles can be interpreted differently (at least for me). It could be that they are simply two friends back-to-back posing for a double portrait; but the smiles could also be interpreted as confidence or competitiveness. Almost like they're back-to-back just before making ten paces to turn and draw like in a wild west shoot out.

Interesting work. I'm looking forward to more and I hope my critique was useful to you.

2. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

Thanks!
    To be honest, I don't quite know how to do that. This was created using a hand drawing and then I just coloured it in Photoshop
    Still don't know how to do exciting stuff
    Well, it's a Pokémon trainer with her faithful Lucario, ready to face the world. So that is kinda the look I was going for.
    This whole colouring was done without the aid of a drawing tablet (as I have lost mine) so I was limited by what I could do. If you could point me towards some tutorials on how to do fancy effects in Photoshop, I'd be ever so grateful. But thank you are the criticism, it was greatly appreciated

Explonova likes this.
  3. Explonova

Explonova The Lazy Pony

I made these for you. I hope you find them useful:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bexy164 likes this.
  4. Bexy164

I'll have a proper look at these later then try the stuff out!

5. SamP20

SamP20 A partridge in a pear tree

I can't really say much more than what @Explonova has said already, sorry. I do like the pose you've put them in though. They look cute together :D

I did my first ever vector from a sketch (I can upload that too if you like). It's an OC I designed who is able to control electronics with her magic. The symbols on her cutie mark are electrons and a proton:
    oc.png
    I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of things wrong with it :p

Late Edit: With it being quite a basic vector, it's the colour scheme I'm mostly interested in hearing about :) Then I can start on some more interesting scenes/styles.

#245 SamP20, 22 May 2015
    Last edited: 31 May 2015
    DerpyWhooves likes this.
  6. Bexy164

That looks really good! can't really give much help on how to improve due to my lack of knowledge of vectoring, but you may want to make the front leg that's help up a little more rounded at the bottom, like this:
    [​IMG]
    Now would anyone mind if I asked for critique on this piece of art I did?
    Peppermint James.jpg

Explonova likes this.
  7. Lysander Thunderbuck

Lysander Thunderbuck Recognised Pony

Its thread resurrection time! I used to lurk around in this one and learnt a heck of a lot from the constructive comments that people had. I miss it so I'll try even though the things I'm commenting on are about 18 months old so its likely that the artists have progressed since then.

For Sam P20's I'm just going to elaborate on what Bexy164 said regarding leg anatomy. When a leg is raised the toe will tend to droop, and don't forget to keep the leg taper all the way to the hoof where it will be the widest. The front leg that's closest to the viewer looks like one of the joints is forced, but this might just be me. I tried to reverse engineer what I think the front legs would look like. As far as colour choice is concerned, I've found this really useful in the past http://paletton.com/#uid=52h0r0kl2lDcauRgbr3pUgctbcn, from what I can tell that scheme should work ok.

Leg Advice.png
    Original Bone line in green, revised bone line in blue. Then fleshing out the leg in yellow and redoing it with proper toe consideration in red.

For Bexy164's the main thing for me is head and wing shape and positioning. The bottom of the head looks a little too wide to me, and the wings look a little too low, I usually envisage them coming out of the shoulder. Again I've had a go at marking up, I've put in the chin for either gender in different colours.

Face & Neck Advice.png
    Revised head outline in orange with male chin equivalent in yellow. I think the wings should be positioned as they are in blue, they would be partially obscured by the chest.

I'm afraid I don't have 100% faith in my anatomy so take these with a pinch of salt. Its kind of the reason I'm here.

Would anyone be able to help me with this? I can feel something is wrong with it but I can't tell what. Mostly I'm interested in the pose and layout I know the smoke at the bottom looks off.
    [​IMG]

Sorry if there's a reason this thread got abandoned that I don't know of, I just miss it.

8. Bexy164

Fortunately, mine was from a while back now. So maybe I've improved since then XD
    I'm too lazy to link actual pieces, so here's my DA gallery :p.http://bexy164.deviantart.com/gallery/
    I think the pose looks fine. It's creepy enough, which is great because that seems to be the theme of the picture. For the smoke, I'm not sure. But if I'm honest I thought it was moss or something like that until I read your post. Maybe try adding some very transparent green all over the floor. I'm not really sure, but I hope I helped

9. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

the pose kinda reminds me of my Chryssi piece I did at Buck 14
    [​IMG]

i notice she's missing her wings, and you pointed out the smoke, which looks fine as it is, but one trick to make it come across smokier is to have it rise up along the sides of the pic, maybe do it in different layers with different levels of transparency, as smoke density changes constantly too.
    The slime is also something that could do with work in future, don't do liquids in black lines. (ignore my pic above, i was a newb lol) best things for elemental things is use a darker shade colour to do the lines/shadow. gives it some depth as well as adding little lines of highlight to make it shiny. use white or near white if you really want to.
    other than that Chryssi looks fine and the background is fine too =3

10. Bexy164

Hey, Could I ask for critique on this piece
    [​IMG] please?

11. Lysander Thunderbuck

Lysander Thunderbuck Recognised Pony

Thanks Stormblaze. I can't believe I forgot her wings, no wonder it looked weird.
    I'll have to have a think for that one, I ink all my stuff in india ink so I don't really have a choice on colour. Maybe since I'm digitally colouring I can do something there. I must admit I referenced the IDW comics quite a bit for what does and doesn't get inked, obviously I'm kinda new to it so I got it a bit sideways.

Oh and Bexy, You have left a pixel-wide band of infill just outside the outline, it aliases quite badly on my monitor, just one to look out for when you're digitally colouring.

12. Bexy164

Oh I know about that. Unfortunatley, that's how the fill tool works in Photoshop (what I use). Colouring it by hand (using a graphics tablet) hurts my hand and takes ages.

13. Rubyhoof

Rubyhoof A stupid little horse

Liking the pose, proportions and expression.

Two things though, the black background is quite dominant, it's a flat - neutral - colour and black really doesn't add to the picture. Try using a warm or cool "black" and play with that effect this fella speaks about it rather well (it's watercolours but his points still apply to your pic): http://johnlovettwatercolorworkshop.com/black-watercolor/

Secondly, it looks like you've done your shading in two passes: some hard shadows on the figure (like below the chin and under the legs) and a gradient suggesting that there's a door there. These work ok but the door shadow will change how those shadows look within it (for a start they won't have hard edges). Perhaps make the knife brighter too. ^.^

Lovely figure anyway :3 .

14. BronyMedic

BronyMedic Equestrian Ambulance Service Trust

I've just started out in the world of drawing; just over a week ago i couldn't draw anything! I'm doodling several pieces today but thought I'd spend a little time on one for once and i would really like some honest critique of how I'm doing. Obviously ponies as that's where my inspiration is.

I apologise its a photo, my scanner has just died. This piece was inspired by Tangled and features my partners OC, Sunny Glow. It was drafted in pencil, lined in ballpoint, shaded in ballpoint (sorry!!) then coloured using pencil set which was found later on.[​IMG]

Hampshire Brony likes this.
  15. Bexy164

I hate to be rude, but have you critiqued anyone else's art? I believe you must critique at least one piece before posting your own

However I will throw my two bits in anyways

The pose:
    I feel the pose is ok, however the leg reaching underneath the lantern looks a little off.
    Maybe it should be more like this:
    [​IMG]
    The part where the body comes over the edge of the boat, it seems a little awkward

I also feel the hair could have more life and shape to it, and it should fall better over the 'shoulder'

The expression also seems a little.... off

Sorry that wasn't too helpful, but I'm not too good at this
    Maybe someone else could expand on what I've said

Could I ask for a bit of critique on any of these arts?

16. BronyMedic

BronyMedic Equestrian Ambulance Service Trust

[/spoiler]
    Duly noted, but the last piece of art was over 6 months ago so didn't think critque was necessary. This was more a reviving of this thread.

Thank you for your critque, I wasn't fully happy with it but couldn't put my finger on it as such. Your revision of the arm would have been much better, much more defined as coming towards the camera.

The expression bothers me too but i haven't had much practice drawing ponies face on and im currently training myself in expressions. Maybe a revision of this in a months time would be good.

I'll try and give the hair a bit more love and flow in the future. I'm not good with hair reacting to surroundings atm.

As for yours, the starlight, starbrught piece; really like it personally but i dont have much experience in being critical of work atm.
    If anything, the left foreleg seems a little too long but its a nitpick tbh. You're much more skilled than I so not sure what else i can day to help.

Edit. Cant get my spoiler tag working...

#256 BronyMedic, 20 April 2017 at 8:25pm
    Last edited: 20 April 2017 at 8:30pm
    Bexy164 likes this.
  17. Bexy164

To be honest, I'm not great at hair reacting to surroundings. I'd say its about finding a hair style that looks like it works while following your art style. If you see how I draw my fursona
    [​IMG]
    the hair on the shoulder doesn't really make too much sense if you think about it too hard, but I feel it at least gives a more natural look

Thanks anyways!
    And I wouldn't say I that I was skilled at all myself