1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Professional Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH & Indy Wrestling, Japan etc)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Leon K Fox, 28 March 2012.

1. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

Well, the title is fairly self explanitory, this is a thread dedicated to Professional Wrestling! It was originally a solely WWE thread but as time went on it became a much more broad discussion for all of pro wrestling, not just WWE.

I must admit that despite being a fan since 2001 (my favourite was and still is The People's Champ The Rock) I only actively watched up until 2003, passively through 2004 and 2005, and then I took a 6 year hiatus from the product until February 2011, my interest dwindled due to The Rock leaving and the WWE pushing Cena as the new face of the company along with Batista, or Botchtista as I like to call him. Cena was decent as a mid carder with his "Word Life" gimmick but he wasn't good as a main eventer in terms of mic work and his character in my personal opinion, especially not with his "Kiddies' Champ" gimmick he's had since 2008 or so.

The main reason I started watching again was...well...The Rock's return in February 2011 XD I was a little annoyed as if I'd known he was going to be at Wrestlemania 27 I would have aquired a ticket, but it wasn't announced until all the tickets were already sold. I WAS going to go to Wrestlemania 28, I even had a travel package bought...but my friend bailed out and I couldn't go and had to sell my ticket on Ebay, and I've wanted to see Rock live since I was 11...so close yet so far, but oh well...(That event is this upcoming Sunday as well)

For some reason though, despite him only being around on a part time basis his return helped rekindle my interest in the company and I've started watching it reguarly again, at least WWE Raw. I've become a huge fan of The Miz and there are numerous other guys I like such as CM Punk, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Daniel Bryan, Wade Barrett, it goes on, but as far as the new era goes CM Punk and The Miz are DEFINATLEY my favourite wrestlers and a large amount of the reason I watch even when Rock isn't around, the latter is such an awesome heel and CM Punk is the best face mic worker they have as of now.

Enough of my rambling though, any fellow brony WWE fans here? ^^

#1 Leon K Fox, 28 March 2012
    Last edited: 4 April 2013
  2. danspy1994

danspy1994 Sparta Pony

Seeing as you are a wrestling fan, is wrestling fake?

3. Leon K Fox

It's not so much 'fake" as it is "scripted" the moves are mostly real if planned out, it's essentially like watching a fight scene in a film, but more flashy and with no special effects. (when I say flashy I refer to things like finishing moves, crowd taunts etc) the finishes are pre determined also, but it does have real risks and performers do sometimes get injured, so it isn't like a magician pulling a bunny out of a hat, as it were.

That's my way of looking at it anyway.

4. bobby.p

bobby.p #StayBased #MostWanted

5. danspy1994

danspy1994 Sparta Pony

Oh ok, fair enough, it's still entertaining, it's just my dad had a friend who thought it was all real, like completely real.

6. bobby.p

goes a little overboard though some times

7. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

I used to watch WWF (that's how long ago it was, it was still WWF) probably around 1999-2002 time. I wasn't majorly into it and I always found myself rooting for the underdog wrestlers. My favourite was Mideon and every wrestling game I bought on the PS1/2 I had to make him since they never included him.

8. bobby.p

this would have to be my favorite theme
    but of course cant deny the badassery of the rocks theme

9. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

I'm a little more old school.

As a kid, my older brothers were big fans of wrestling in general (be it WWF at the time, WCW, anything really). They had toyboxes full of figures, and videos of all the events. This was of course back when the guys like Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, etc. were around. Of course this over-exposure got to me and I ended up liking it too.

My favorite era was the "Attitude" era of '97 - 2001, where people like Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were dominating the scene. The shows had an edge to them that made them cool - the characters were rebellious, and the talent was pretty good at the time. My favorites were Kurt Angle (who was an amazing and versatile athlete, and really is an olympic champ - I actually went to the library and looked it up) and the original masked Kane (just watch his debut when he interferes in a Hell in a Cell match).

I lost interest in wrestling shortly after the Alliance of WCW and ECW invaded WWE, then they split the roster between Smackdown and Raw. I think splitting the show was a bad idea, as it expanded the roster and therefore gave chances to the not-so talented performers as compared to before. Since then one of my little brothers (the one who likes MLP) still watches wrestling, and I take a look every now and then. There are so many new performers now I don't recognise anyone any more!

10. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

Started watching in the early 90's. Loved guys like Jake Roberts, Ultimate Warrior and so on. I've mostly kept up with WWE through-out. My absolute faves were Al Snow and Chris Jericho. These days though, I mostly prefer Chikara (US) and DDT (Japan) as well as some old NJPW (Japan) Lightweight stuff with guys like Shinjiro Ohtani.

From my own stand-point, I started training with NWA-UK Hammerlock in2001 and madw my in ring debut in late 2002 (while still with them, we did tours with Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart, and Dan 'The Beast' Severn so I got to tour with some of the guys I looked up to when I started watching). I retired in October 2010 due to injury and a lot of backstage politics that had taken the fun out of it for me (I was involved with booking for a long term associates promotion, ran a few stand-alone shows myself and played road agent a few times too...some people really seem hell bent on causing trouble sometimes). Anyways, the point I was going to make is that if there was any doubt then yes results are known beforehand, but the amount of planning varies from person to person. I've done matches where we've planned everything and ones where we planned nowt. You learn how to do every move safely but they all also be done legit and even when done safely they do take a toll on you over time. There are only so many bumps a body can take.

11. Little Emerald

Oh man DDT is hilarious, I stumbled upon that not long ago. My favorite on there is Kenny Omega, as he performs moves that would be seen in anime or video games (including a Final Atomic Buster on a dummy!)

Back on the topic of WWE though, I do admit Chris Jericho and Al Snow are up on my faves in terms of athletic prowess. However, the former's arrogance and the latter's lack of screen time let them down.

12. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

Kenny is superb (and a dead ncie guy to boot if the responses my better half had on myspace were anything to go by). I alos love Kota Ibush, Michael Nakazawa, Danshoku Dino and YOSHIHIKO.
    Jericho I don't see as having let himself down though. He made it to the top of WWE, had a good run in Japan, can come and go when he pleases and always gets over. In my midn he's one of the best there's been.
    Al was a weird one though. His pre-WWF stuff (when he was called 'wrestlings best kept secret') was fantastic in ring. Loved his promos too, like this one (his tag partner here went n to become Kane):
    When you think about it though, he had a lot of screen time. He was on most weeks once he returned with Head. I can tell you exactly where he screwed up too: Royal Rumble 2000. He's said himself in afew shoots, he was feuding with The Rock at this point yet when Rock got in the ring he didn't go for him because he heard him call a spot with someone else. If he'd disregarded Rocky calling the spot and gone for him anyway, he'd have gotten their story over adn probably still be active in WWE or TNA now at the upper end of the card. I honestly believe he could have been bigger than HBK if things had played out slightly differnetly.
    Raven, there's another one I love!

13. Leon K Fox

Hence why it's very often called "sports entertainment" in fact it was called that a lot during the Attitude Era, i.e The Rock calling himself "The Most Electrifying Man In Sports Entertainment". (Nowadays he says "All of entertainment" but that's probably because he's big outside of wrestling as well as inside of it)

Chris Jericho actually really likes to put people over (Sheamus at the Royal Rumble this year, and he's likely to put Punk over at Wrestlemania on Sunday as well) it's just his in ring character/gimmick that's really arrogant.

14. Little Emerald

Ah yes, that's what I meant. Jericho's in character arrogance is what grates me.

Is there anyone else who's an amazing athlete as of recently? The last one I saw was Kofi Kingston, he's my little brother's favorite.

15. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

Depends on viewpoint I guess...I personally rate BxB Hulk from Dragon Gate (this isn't the best videoto showcase him but there should be more out there):

In the US...I like Johnny Gargano too.
    From teh UK, PAC.

16. Leon K Fox

Aren't most of the big name main eventers given arrogant gimmicks/characters? Rock and Austin could be pretty darn arrogant, the latter was aggressive as well (whether he was face or heel, or dealing with a heel or face) and they're two of the best of all time.

Also, CM Punk and Dolph Ziggler are two amazing in ring performers that are relevant in the mid card/main event scene, off the top of my head.

17. Lyrakish

Lyrakish Pony

I used to watch when Triple H was a little younger and I think before The Rock got into acting. I've been back into it for a few months now.

Cannot wait for Wrestlemania, The Undertaker vs Triple H, Hell in a Cell. *salivates* And I love Cena, but I have no ideas who I want to win between him and The Rock.

My friend thinks it's all real, bless her. She is a bit thick tbh, she thinks that malted milk biscuits are satisfying babysitters for her 1 and a half year old.

18. Leon K Fox

Hey, we all did at one point in our lives =P When I was 11 I certainly did, it wasn't until 2005 that I learned otherwise and learned all the wrestling terms (being over, jobber, gimmick, botch...you get the idea) I remember watching Kurt Angle vs Shane Mcmahon at King of the King 2001 with that mindset...that was one hell of an experience, I'll tell you that much!

Also, I am 100 percent wanting Rock to beat Cena on Sunday.

19. danspy1994

danspy1994 Sparta Pony

I'm sure an engine to the head would kill someone.

20. bobby.p

well some guys have died in the ring, such as Owen Hart it was really sad