1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 1 - Celestial Advice

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Max Apogee, 11 April 2017.

1. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Funny moment I didn't pick up on the first time around
    Twilight: "I can't just send her off to Celestia-knows-where without thinking it through!" - said with Celestia standing right next to her. :p
    Celestia: "Hmm. I was not aware that I was an expression."

I'm still a little divided about Celestia's more ordinary pony-level interaction though, and I think this quote does highlight that, funny though it is. It's hard to reconcile with the earlier seasons - but it's only a small thing

Criticism of this episode
    Having enjoyed the second episode so much it makes me feel able to hold this one to higher standards, and after two watches I'm afraid this episode didn't really do it for me. Absolutely nothing to do with a lack of a big two-part premier - slice of life episodes are the core of this show and this should be able to work. I feel this was a pretty long-winded way of saying that Starlight is staying in Ponyville, you have a bit of Twilight/Celestia background as well but there wasn't a whole lot else to be gained from it. Not a favourite but it wasn't bad. I'm glad others liked it more.

MCtoastie, abrony-mouse and Cloudane like this.
  2. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Meh back to the tyranny of Spoiler tags/
    Whilst as first I wasn't sold on this episode in the first few minutes, I came to love it as it when on. Twilights fantasies were great I loved the Awkward compromise lesson and the fact they were all over the top.
    Celestia was brilliant in this episode and feels like she has more depth now.
    As mentioned by others I like how they went for a more low key opener (with reference to the last season closing episodes) with lots of camios in it so yeah it was a fun episode xD

MCtoastie likes this.
  3. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Is it that time of the year again already?

My favourite season opener since season 4, and perhaps it just shaded it. Not what I was expecting at all - it was nice to have a low key, standalone start to the season. Twi's neurotic fantasising was amusing, and it was good to see things from Celestia's view for once.

Funniest moment for me was between the guards debating how to respond to Celestia's thinking out loud and Luna's trying to sort out Thorax's medal.

The way Celestia looked at the moon when she decided to send Twilight away was also good from a character POV - it gave more of a sense of the internal conflict and continual self-questioning she must have gone through after exiling Nightmare Moon.

MCtoastie and Cloudane like this.
  4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Okay so more than 24 hours since we were trying to watch it in Deansgate :p Rewatch notes!

• Spike's Rarity impression was amusing (just don't go nuts with these like with Dash last season)
    • The idea of a mirror set up so you wake up and see yourself surrounded by friends was cute. A little hokey? Never really let that bother me ^^
    • The livestream went NUTS about that recoloured logo. I'm already used to it :p
    • It seemed like another Star Wars award ceremony reference when they were giving out medals, and we've already had one of those. However, Discord and Thorax's medal moments were funny.
    • For a little while I thought the writers had figured, okay we don't have a clue what to do with Starlight so let's write her out again. I was quite okay with that, but it's healthy for the show to keep things moving forward rather than reverting to just more of the mane 6 doing their thing.
    • The cheesy "COMPROMISE!" is sure to become a meme image.
    • "There is no wrong way to fantasize" - erm no comment :p
    • "Celestia knows where" - "I wasn't aware that I was an expression" - L - O - L
    • LOVE the Fullmetal Alchemist reference! Don't do it Starlight, it'll cost you an arm and a leg!
    • Twily fussing over finding somewhere safe for her to go. Now, I was predicting Celestia's comment to be that she's sent her all sorts of dangerous places and generally needs to stop trying to wrap her in cotton wool and let her go and face some dragons but I liked that she went into more depth (after a fit of hysterics I don't recall ever seeing from the princess before xD She's giggled a few times but wow) and said that she had the same fears. Lovely to see the backstory some more, and Celestia's own feelings and flaws.
    • Lost it at the cuckoo clock, as did everyone else - even though watching this in a pub had its issues, it was worth it to laugh at these moments together (along with the very appropriate table flip advert that came on when ustream's ads forced us to miss bits of the episode, which had the room roaring with laughter)
    • "If you're still worried you could always force her to write you letters" - haha :)
    • Only slight downside I thought, was that it didn't really resolve what to do with Starlight, who seemed to be left feeling abandoned (but loved - the mirror scene was ;~; ). The conclusion of the episode was basically.. "no idea what to do with you now Starlight, congrats, we're done! Good luck finding something to do!". I'm glad the friendship lessons are over though, they did start to feel a bit forced.
    • I want Pinkie's vacuum cleaner :)

#24 Cloudane, 16 April 2017
    Last edited: 16 April 2017
    MCtoastie likes this.
  5. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

I missed that until you mentioned it!

Cloudane likes this.
  6. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

As much as I'd like another epic two-parter, I can understand why the show runners didn't go there. I think it would be impossible to top "Twilight's Kingdom" so I'm happy for more slice-of-life episodes, since they're FiM's bread and butter anyway. I really enjoyed seeing a bit more Celestia and getting an insight into what she was thinking. I particularly liked her bursting out laughing, as I always find her amusing (in a good way) when she lets her "unflappable ruler of Equestria" facade down.

MCtoastie and Cendaquenta like this.
  7. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

3/10 severely disappointed in it
    Denz and I were both rather let down by this episode. For starters it should not have been a premiere episode, made worse by being only 1 parter. It would have been better received if it was placed early in the series but not starting. Yes ok so Starlight is now at Twilight's near princess level, but this episode just did nothing. Twilight's paranoia didnt feel very entertaining, apart from maybe the study of arcane arts part, but it was tiny. The episode had no pacing, nothing really funny and no excitement to it at all. I only really liked Celestia's laugh towards the end, because, hey we've not seen Celestia in ages!

The changelings though......UGH hate them so. Thorax's voice should have been matured a slight touch, its just stupid to have him be this majestic prince creature with a wussy squeaky teen voice.

My problem mainly with this being a premiere episode is that all of them have had some form of conflict or world affecting problem (Flurry Heart) and the mane 6 were involved in some way. The finales are the same formula. After feeling like Season 6 was lacking in excitement too and just dragged, Im quite disheartened with what s7 has started off with. I think Denz has decided to call it quits because of that. I will still watch them, but unless they bring back the literal magic of the older seasons, I just dont think I can enjoy this one.

We've been watching S1 and S2 episodes just on and off whilst we were waiting for s7 to start and it reminded us how much and why we loved MLP in the first place. The older ones were so well written, had some great refs and jokes, felt very colourful and actually lift the spirits to watch. We were both smiling through these episodes even though we knew what was coming. The finales and premieres too, they're so well done. The Tirek fight is still the one that tops them all for me. I just love watching that scene.

Maybe that is what these new writers need to do. We need another well written villain. There needs to be another threat looming over the whole season or an event like S1 Gala that the episodes work up to a grand finale.......not like the Equestria Games, where that was hyped the whole way and then just stuck into an awful Spike episode. They did this right in S5 with Starlight just popping up through the series until she made her big move, but now she's reformed.... theres no threat and no conflict and well no reason to have Friendship or the Elements of Harmony. Theyre obsolete because there is nothing to fight!

Nsxile likes this.
  8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

I'm not one to get excited over big villains but that's a point I hadn't thought of; there's no kind of imminent threat or overall goal yet.

But wasn't that the same with most of S2? Apart from the premier with Discord, from S2E03 pretty much all goals at the time had been achieved and it was just individual friendship lessons until the finale. Admittedly S2 wasn't my favourite partly because of that lack of direction but there were some great individual episodes; what S2 did do of course was allow other ponies to write to Celestia, thus opening up potential for more kinds of episodes that didn't involve Twilight all the time (the show couldn't have continued long without that I don't think). And I think the show is trying to do that again by opening up new things like the Trixie/Starlight dynamic, also potentially some more involving the dragons and the changelings (although I know you said you didn't like that), and some others. I don't, personally, think you need a villain if there's more potential for character development and friendship lessons.

I'm sorry it wasn't to your liking, and for me episode 2 got me a lot more excited about the coming season than this did.

abrony-mouse likes this.
  9. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

I liked this episode, had some good laughs :) I'm sure I read somewhere a while ago that this season wasn't going to open with a two parter. I didn't mind tbh it was still a good opener.

- I would think Spike putting his quills in the style of Rarity would be a bit painful :p
    - What happened to Pinkies party canon?
    - Nice to see more of Discords "helping"
    - Compromise..
    - "There is no wrong way to fantasize" I think a lot of jokes are gonna come from this :p
    - Dat Predator movie reference between Ember and Starlight (just type 'dillon you son' in google :p )
    - Had a good chuckle along with a few others when Twilight said "I can't just send her off to Celestia knows where without thinking it through" with Celestia standing behind her.
    - It was nice to see some back story as to why Celestia sent Twilight to Ponyville and all the worries she had. Was probably a good thing that we missed that scene at the pub as it caused those onion cutting ninjas to- appear ;~;
    - "If you're still worried you could always force her to write you letters" Until she has to go back in time :p
    - Twilight should have given Starlight the mirror that goes to the human world :p

10. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Warrior

I agree - the eps lacked the epic pony friendship magic which we've come to expect. I thiink Chryssie should have been in the ep at least as a veiled threat since she is the villain now. She's lost her Changelings so she can't just redo a takeover but she could always team up with somepony/thing new.

(For me though I was overall happy with the ep since it led up to fun/pleasant pony antics and confirmed that there are plenty of new characters/directions MLP can go in now that its main story arc is long since complete.)

11. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Pony gadgets are best gadgets d@:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I've just seen the first episode and I must say it was a pretty good start to this season it had some amusing moments and it was good to have an episode focusing on Twilight and Celestia I think the best moment for me was how awkward the comprise was as well as Twilight saying "For Celestia's sake" right in front of her own mentor. The only problem I'd say I have with it is that the resolution to dealing with Starlight going was a bit hasty for a lack of a better word. Not as good as other season openers but defiantly a good one at the very least.

13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I like how Equestria obviously has superadvanced technology (that hoover must contain a pocket dimension) and yet never uses it, because hey, why would you need to when a third of the population has potentially world-changing magic just sticking out their heads

F.I.N.E., Mane25 and Pigasus like this.
  14. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Is that hoover technology or is it Pinkie magic? She may be an earth pony but her powers are rivaled only by Discord!

15. sten whik

sten whik Space

Hoover is probably powered by Pinkie logic/magic. :p Anyway remember that magic is also banned at some events so their society seems to have some Amish-esque values.

#35 sten whik, 20 April 2017 at 5:41pm
    Last edited: 20 April 2017 at 6:18pm
  16. Steamworks

Steamworks New Pony

I didn't see the magic ban at the Equestria Games as anything remotely Amish. It's more an anticheat measure so the unicorns or other magic users couldn't give competitors a little boost.

17. sten whik

sten whik Space

True but don't forget about Winter Wrap Up. :p

18. Steamworks

Steamworks New Pony

Wasn't that more a Ponyville tradition than a proper ban?

19. sten whik

sten whik Space

It is a ban in Ponyville seemingly because of tradition, no idea if the ban was written into any law or anything, Twilight just got scolded for it.