1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Season 7, Episode 9 - Honest Apple

Discussion in 'Episode Discussion' started by Loganberry, 14 May 2017.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

[​IMG]
    Applejack's New Hat by the-discorded
    ( CC by-nc-sa 3.0 )

Air date:
    14 May 2017

Writer: Kevin Lappin

Synopsis: "When Rarity asks Applejack to be a judge in a fashion show, Applejack learns that an opinion, however honest, can still be hurtful."

Well, after episode 8 focused on an Apple Family member in Big Mac, we have Applejack herself in the spotlight this time! She's co-starring with Rarity here, which leads me to wonder whether we might get a callback to the fashion show in "Simple Ways" -- any chance of an Apple Jewel reference, perhaps? The synopsis seems very basic for this far into the show's run, though -- it seems like the sort of simple friendship lesson we might have seen five years ago. I'm hoping there'll be more to it than that, and that we won't get any annoying character regression on AJ's part. Anyway, discuss away!

The usual 24-hour spoiler-cut rule applies in this thread. Please also be considerate about posting potentially spoilery comments elsewhere, given that some people are sticking to the weekly schedule. Thank you. :)

#1 Loganberry, 14 May 2017
    Last edited: 14 May 2017
  2. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Back to basics it seems with an AJ/Rarity episode, good timing I think as we've not had a lot of that lately. A lesson to refine/challenge her element of honesty is taking us back to a S4 type theme which we had with the 'key' episodes, although there was nothing about that in Leap of Faith so there could be something here.

3. sten whik

sten whik Space

8/10 just for...
    Rarity's voice work and the random rocking out moment.
    The writer must really like Pinkie Pie to have included her a lot for no reason.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I faint!

Loved Rarirock!

Also loved Inky and her bat outfit.

AJ and Rarity are always a fun pairing. Nice to see a lesson about tact being as important as honesty. And to see a bit of AJ's super-strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abrony-mouse likes this.
  5. moody magpie

moody magpie 75% done with football!

Another day, another episode
    This was another solid episode. I always enjoy Applejack and Rarity pairings. Nice to see returning characters in the shape of Photo Finish and Hotiy Totiy. However the best moment was Rarity channelling her inner Brian May, that had my in stitches. Another unless fact, it's now been four episodes since Twilight and Fluttershy have made an appearance.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Decent episode.

Apple Bloom looks adorable in a Stetson hat, at least once she got that bow off. :p

Rarity rocking out was definitely not something I was expecting. :p

Lily Lace: "You can thank Applejack, she literally did it all by herself"
    Applejack: "I don't think that word means what you think it means"

Thank you, AJ. :p

Pinkie really didn't serve much of a purpose other than being there. :p I hope we see Twilight and Fluttershy again soon though. :eek:

DerpyWhooves and Loganberry like this.
  7. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Honorary Yak

Dammit, I've got a mental image of an Inigo Montoya pony in my head now ... inconceivable!

(I doubt it was an intentional nod to 'The Princess Bride' but it was the first thing that came to mind)

DerpyWhooves and Bridle Timeout like this.
  8. Solar Wind

Solar Wind The Thomas fandom is going to explode

I can't believe it. They actually did it.
    They insulted apples. That is just unbelievable.

I did truly enjoy this episode. We have been saying for years that her being honest can lead to some of the worst insults possible, and just seeing her destroy the hopes of the designers and beating down of both Hoity Toity and Photo Finish was priceless. I also have to say Rarity just rocking out there was just priceless. Why didn't we see that version in Rainbow Rocks? ARTISTS! Get drawing now!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Pretty solid...
    ...and I'd have put up with just about anything for Rarity's rock goddess moment and AJ correcting "literally" near the end! :D Another new writer (Kevin Lappin) and again one who seems to have a reasonable handle on the characters. I do think it stretched things a bit to have Applejack still needing to learn this particular lesson seven seasons in, but it's not a huge deal. Also, as @Solar Wind just said, we finally got somepony who didn't like apples and wasn't afraid to say so! I doubt this is going to be a long-term favourite of mine, but it was good, watchable stuff.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Very weak episode
    Nothing special here whilst it would have been ok in season 1 or 2, I would like to think the shows moved on from the basic lesson learned episodes.
    The only really good bits were Raritys rock solo, Inked rose and Strawberry pony.

11. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi New Pony

Yet another good episode.

For a while, I thought this lesson had already been done in season 4, but I soon realised that was just the opposite. It’s always good to see the AJ/Rarity dynamic, not only because their opposites complement each other so well, but also because most times, we get to see how far they’ve come since season 1. Presumably. Rarity thought Applejack would be more careful in terms of how she phrased her critique, but to be fair, she did try to stay quiet, keeping her views to herself until she was asked. It’s good to see that AJ isn’t always perfect, and that Rarity had something to teach her this time. The way she proved her point with Strawberry Sunrise was a nice little role reversal from Simple Ways. Though one has to wonder if Strawberry actually hates apples with that much of a passion, or if Rarity put her up to exaggerating to hold a mirror up to AJ. I’m not sure if Applejack bottling it and refusing to name a winner in the end is what she was supposed to have learned, but that’s a minor thing. I also couldn’t help but notice how Equestrian guitars apparently only have two strings, yet their banjos have four or five. And Rarity’s playing was awesome – clearly she's not always so prim and proper :D.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Warrior

loved the feel of this ep and the calls back to early pony 7.5/10
    felt very season 1 with AJ's friction with Rarity. A bit look before you sleep too - except AJ was the one in the wrong. Also AJ and applebloom messing about (and it was great the way they that hat lesson related to the ep)

Again with the rushed problem --> resolution though. Can't AJ be allowed to realise she's foaled up on her own even for a bit before Rarity shows her what the problem is?

Return of Photo was great, while Hoity seemed a little different. Also loved the new ponies - great VAing on them all. goth pony stole the show though. This season has had some great new characters added

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  13. Steamworks

Steamworks New Pony

More time with Apples is nice.

Is Pinkie the next Guitar Hero?

Was AJ not informed of her judge duties?

Something doesn't make sense to Pinkie? What is this?

So is Apple Bloom gonna keep the hat? Is there room in the Apple family for 2 hat wearers?

Maybe it's because I haven't heard him in a while, but Hoity sounds different I think.

Inky Rose is shaping up as the most practical of the designers.

I think AJ's a little too out of her element here.

Pinkie, fix your instrument. It's got 4 tuners, only 2 strings, and you claim it's a guitar.

So, like, when did Rarity learn to play? Does this also apply to EQG!Rarity? Why does human Rarity have a keytar when she can do that?

Again, I like Inky Rose's coat. Finally, some FiMfashion that I like.

Rarity really should have expected friction with AJ.

Let's see a throw down between AJ and Strawberry. I'm with AJ on this (and not because of my Apple bias). Apples > strawberries.

Clearly Inky Rose's designs are best.

Oh come on, AJ, "they all win" is a cop out, nerd.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  14. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Ahh, I really enjoyed this one :). Rarity and AJ being brilliant together again. A very welcome return of Photo and Hoity too. And the other newbie fashionistas were all great fun.

The only slight minus for me was the needless Sparity thrown in at the beginning.

15. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

This was another good episode, and rather reminiscent of early seasons with the lesson style episode.

I do have to wonder why Spike just happened to be walking outside the boutique. Was he spying on Rarity or nervously working up the never to ask her out or something? Either way, go ask Ember for a date already Spike!

Apple Bloom looked adorable trying to carry off a hat of her own. I guess she wants to emulate her big sister.

It was nice to see Hoity Toity and Photo Finish back again. It's also good to hear that Coco Pommel is doing well with her own fashion career. I did hope we'd see more of her acting as an apprentice to Rarity, but they never seemed to do too much with that idea.

Inky Rose reminded me a lot of Moonlight Raven from the Canterlot Boutique episode. I'm not sure why she thought ripping holes in her outfit was a good idea. I was actually agreeing with Applejack with her criticism about that. I also didn't particularly like the way Lily Lace spoke. Thankfully she didn't say an awful lot in this episode. She'd have really got on my nerves after a while with the say she puts literally in every sentence.

Rarity rocking out was rather random, but funny to see. Looks like we're getting some Rainbow Rocks in Ponyville. ;)

Wow, Lily Lace spends ages stitching feathers together on a hat and Applejack immediately destroys her hard work. Wow. I'm amazed didn't flip out after seeing that, although she did look horrified.

It was really funny to see Applejack getting mad about Strawberry Sunrise not liking apples, and also to see her tie up the contestants to bring them back only to not let them go until they brought it up. Silly AJ. :p

I guess it was a bit of a cop out for Applejack to award the contest to all the participants, although given she knows very little about fashion and has little interest in it I can see her struggling to pick out her favourite out of those three. It does make me wonder why Rarity made her a judge in the first place. :confused:

Overall this was a fun episode. It's nice to see that the Mane 6 still have a few things to learn.

16. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

That was a nice ep

They're really going big on bringing back random characters this season! However, I'm not going to complain about either of this week's. Photo Finish is one of my favourite one off characters from the past, and it was great to have her back here. She was on good form as well, and played well with Hoity Toity,

AJ and Rarity worked well together again; they seem to provide good character points as a team. AJ's comment that here wardrobe was pretty much 20 versions of her hat cracked me up as well, although I did wonder whether at this stage of her character development she would be as insensitive as she was. I suppose the fact that she was encouraged by Rarity explained that though.[\spoiler]

Oilyvalves likes this.
  17. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

I've been meaning to mention it but haven't had time until now; this was a really nice touch by the animators:

[​IMG]

The only other time I remember seeing Photo without her glasses was in 'Picture Perfect Pony'.

Pigasus likes this.
  18. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

It's really strange seeing her eyes d@: