1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Side series discussion

Discussion in 'MLP Comic Series Discussion' started by Loganberry, 27 January 2014.

1. Pub Crawler

Pub Crawler Prince of Pints

Does anyone know what's happening to Friends Forever in the next few months? Looking at the forecast and it looks like it'll end with issue #38 and is due to be replaced in April with the new "Legends of Magic" series. Not seeing any issues beyond that. Seemed like a weird place to cut the series off to me. Either way, new side series. Whoo! +)

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Yep, that's exactly the situation. There's no word on how long the Legends series will continue, or whether FF will return in the future. I'm sorry to see FF go, as I thought it had a better hit rate than the main series, at least in the last couple of years.

There's also the Deviations one-shot coming up shortly -- that's the "what if?" one in which Blueblood replaces Twilight in the Mane Six. :p

3. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I read both Deviations and Guardians of Harmony today. Brief thoughts:

I really quite liked it. I thought it was very funny. The panel at the bottom of the first page where Kibitz says "Oh, sweet sunspots, not that one" is priceless. A couple of people have mentioned that it feels like Katie Cook hasn't read that Shining Armor/ Blueblood friends forever issue and, well, she probably hasn't, but it doesn't matter much. She's remembered Kibitz, and has clearly read some of the other comics given Inkwell's delightful appearance. Also, how wonderful is it to see a story by Katie Cook again after she announced last year she was leaving the MLP comics. She's still easily my favourite of the comics writers, and this issue just showed off how good she is.

Other thoughts:
    • Bunny is an inspired companion for Blueblood. He's great.
    • Blueblood "nobly" protecting Fluttershy by making a shield out of her animals is just so Blueblood. Wanting to be seen as a hero but having absolutely no self awareness or concern for other others.
    • Plunder seed vines growing up? I mean I guess Discord's seeds would still be buried there but I'm not sure what's making them sprout.
    • The end with Blueblood being declared worse than Nightmare Moon and banished to the moon... yeah the comic is almost heading into self parody at this point but I don't care. It's too delicious.
    • I love the wonderful author's message from Katie Cook at the end about her writing process and how it was originally going to be a redemption story but then she decided she couldn't redeem Blueblood. Really nice thing to include. Also the example of a script for one page of the comic and showing how it's inked and coloured before finally the dialogue is added was a really nice and quite insightful, if simple, display of how the comics are practically put together. The most interesting thing for me was seeing how much detail was put into the script. Some, but all the decisions about framing it seems come from the artist. I'm sure that's not unique to MLP or even IDW but my knowledge of the comics industry is very limited and I thought it was interesting thing to include.
    Basically, yeah, it's good. Katie Cook is still the best writer the comics have had, and to be honest, I'd really like to see them invite her to write an episode of the actual show at this point. No idea if that's possible or not.

I don't regret buying it, but you shouldn't worry about skipping this one. Ignoring the fact that's it's just a colossal toy advert for a second (although I can imagine people, particularly children, who've already bought the toys enjoying seeing how they fit into the world of the show) I quite liked the fact that it was essentially one epic story across multiple locations with different chapters written by different writers and drawn by different artists. I liked how the stories had different tones too, from action adventure of Raibow Dash and the Shadowbolts, to the goofiness of the Cheese/ Pinkie story, to the mystery of Shining Armor investigating Princess Amore's history (probably my favourite story of the lot). But unfortunately that episodic nature made it harder to enjoy it. Overall it's pretty weak. Twilight's story was just "she finds some cool new armour that you can now buy as a toy and that's it the end". Some nice stuff though. I enjoyed seeing more of the Wonderbolts and Pricess Amore, and I loved Lyra's Friendship Action Harp.

I wish I didn't have to, but I am going to have to mention Jay Fosgitt copying fan artwork for the designs of the armour, as pointed out by Loganberry and Silver Quill (and probably others). Seriously not cool. It really lowers my respect for him.

Loganberry likes this.
  4. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Two very good reviews. I agree with both, which makes them even better. ;) But seriously, yes: if you want to buy only one of these, then definitely choose Deviations. A very entertaining read all round.

CuldeeFell likes this.
  5. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Apologies for quoting such an old post, but I was flipping back through this thread and couldn't help noticing that the first pairing on that list actually happened. :p

Loganberry likes this.