1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Discussion Weekly Slice of Life RP

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by abrony-mouse, 8 January 2017.

1. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Warrior

The idea of this RP is that the characters go through a mini-story arc and the players complete that arc in a week. (That is a week in real time.) It is a challenge to RP so fast :p but hopefully that challenge is what will make it fun.

I've set out a general structure:

Day 1 - Introductions
    Introduce your pony. If people are familiar with your pony already then introduce something new about him/her. Remember that the intro has to be part of the RP and not just exposition. If the other player is pretty active then hopefully you can keep posts small and introduce your pony through dialoge. The other player can help to introduce your pony (helps if players check out other pony's bio)

{Player 1} Pearblossom ruffled her wings inside her constricting red dress as she sat outside the station in Ponyville.

'Small, earth pony, pink, strawberry cutie mark.'

Pearblossom mumbled her mom's description of Strawberry to herself.

{Player 2} Strawberry saw the small green pegasus foal waiting. It was only right for an earth pony to show the city-pegasus around Ponyville. {etc...}

Days 2-3 Crisis!

The ponies have a problem to solve! Could be a friendship problem, or a practical problem, but it's something that challenges them. The problem needs to be introduced/explained in the RP so it can't be too complex because there's not enough time to build it up, but also it mustn't be too straightforward to solve or the ponies won't have anything to do. The problem might affect both players' ponies or just one. Players will probably be best served by agreeing the basics of the problem beforehand, but if players know each other well then they could probably make it up as it goes.

{Pearblossom has been challenged to race by a few village pegasi. She's always wanted to race, but when the day comes around for the race she's nervous and pretends to have the feather flu to avoid racing.}

Pearblossom inspects the red blotches she has drawn into her green fur in the mirror, before going down for breakfast with Strawberry. She just couldn't face racing the other pegasi, her wings would let her down she just knew it!

Days 4-6 Solution
    The ponies solve the problem together. It should be clear why the ponies are able to face down the challenge. Perhaps one of the ponies' special talent might be deployed to help, or maybe the solution lies in self-reflection, or maybe a practical solution exists that they wouldn't have thought about alone. Again, it might be helpful to agree the basics of the resolution beforehand.

Strawberry, who prided herself on knowing everypony in Ponvyille, knew that if anypony knew how to help a pegasi in need of pep it was Scootaloo.

Day 7 Conclusion
    The story is tied up. If the ponies learned new things, or made new friends then what do they think about that? How has their relationship progressed etc.

Pearblossom sat contentedly on her window seat on the train back to Manehatten thinking about the fun of the race and how everypony had cheered. Perhaps being a 'rough and tumble' pegasi wasn't so bad afterall.

2. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

@Privet, @Aethelberdia dunno if you would both be interested/ have some free time.

Sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner.... it didn't show up as posted or unread for some reason.

3. Privet

Privet Pony

Sounds good. As you have seen, im not very imaginative or creative but i will certainly still try!

4. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Warrior

eep ok I thought that this was a no-go but it's great to get some interest here; however, since I thought this wasn't happening I tried this on another site and someone nibbled (to see what we're up to click here ) - as soon as I'm done with him (our RP should start soon and will run for 2 weeks) If you're still interested I will message you when I'm ready @Privet and we can start. Also if you do want to go ahead we can speed things along by specifying the RP beforehand - I worked out some standard questions on the other site, but feel free to add in your own preferences:

What? (Content)
    Characters - which characters we will use (easier if keep to two familiar ones + ones with character sheets)
    Location - Manehatten, Ponyville etc
    Story details - it might help to agree on the sort of problems/solutions we want the characters to go for, but you might rather not choose these things in advance
    How? (Gameplay style etc)
    Game length - 1 or 2 weeks
    Specification of RP - do we agree to specify the crises/solutions in advance or not?
    GMs or not - how much control do players have over the game-world? Does one player GM, or both, or neither? Do we limit the level of game-world control by using mane/fan characters or not?

I also missed your post somehow @Blaze_Midnight - but thanks for popularising this :)

5. Privet

Privet Pony

I shall use my 2 main characters: Privet and Stali, you may ask for a description.
    Perhaps a changeling attack?

6. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

I wish I could get more people involved with the roleplays... @Aethelberdia never seems to be around, even though they wanted to get back into things. I've been trying to think of ways to maybe get more people to try the forum roleplay. But no luck sadly.

Suggestions with the options.
    Character wise. Use a mix if you wanted. 2 with character sheets, one with one without. See where it goes and what would be better (sometimes a characters mystery isn't a bad thing if you use one no-one knows much about)

Location. Start somewhere simple for the 1st couple, then depending on how things go. Maybe extend to other places that you create yourself. Eg. Underwater adventure to the Sirens Palace.

Specs. Decide between the participants about where would be best to go at first. Then as you get used to things, head in another direction.

GM's or Not? It comes down to the participants. If there was more than a couple of people, then you could have someone be a GM. But with just a few users, best way to lay things out would have to be the story direction that we have on here.

7. Privet

Privet Pony

Sorry about the slow reply, life has been really busy and I'm now left with only a few hours in the evening to do what I want.

Is it ok to change Privet and Stalis lives to better suit the RP challenge? instead of metal workers, could they be soldiers?
    I have thought long about what the story will be and will try to adhere to your advice on breaking out of our world.

8. abrony-mouse

abrony-mouse Warrior

would love to meet em :3 I'm tempted to use a character of mine called Pear Blossom - if you message/post up details for your two I'll have a think. I could try to make a new pony. I'd love to have a go with a seapony :D but I would have to make his/her character sheet
    location could stem from the characters, the crisis/solution or something neutral. I often situate Pear in Ponyville or Manehatten (she's a pegasi foal from the big apple :3 )

in terms of theme I was trying for a bit more slice of life-y - although with changelings able to be good now I'm not averse to a friendly changeling

no problem - just post their details to me / this thread and that will be the RP-official version of their characters for our RP