1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

What annoys you

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Blaze_Midnight, 3 May 2012.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

People putting streams of mlp on Youtube with bad audio (in attempt to stop it getting detected and taken down). So the episode is totaly unwatchable.

DerpyWhooves, sean retro and Mane25 like this.
  2. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Or the fact that I've got 4 episodes to catch up on because of Canada releasing two episodes per weekend now.

Wonderbolt likes this.
  3. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

The fact Smurfs: The Lost Village is no longer in theaters a month later, and now I have to wait for a DVD release. :(

Not gonna lie, I genuinely have an interest in this movie, unlike the older live action/animation ones.

4. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

My (work) email is being absolutely bombarded with security companies trying to cash in on WannaCry...

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

My ordinary email is being bombarded with it for some reason (probably because I've subscribed to a few computer websites in the past). I've looked at a few of them and they are all gibberish over the top non solutions. Craziest one of those I bothered to read being a company who's email linked to a page that looked like a news article "explaining" how WannaCry works and saying how the only way to prevent it and all other ransomware was to turn every computer into virtual machines with a helpful link to an "unaffiliated" company that sells them. :rolleyes:

Cloudane likes this.
  6. Snowyshy

Buying animated season DVDs nowadays. Let's see, Sailor Moon, Season One Part One, Mia and Me, Season One Part One, The Smurfs, Season One PART ONE.

When did selling an incomplete DVD season become a thing?

Parthidens, Cloudane and Cendaquenta like this.
  7. sten whik

sten whik Space

Since VHS...

8. Bexy164

Bexy164 Sand Guardian and Team Rocket member

Expecting to come home to no one and be able to chill before anyone got in, only to find someone is in

9. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

And the UK MLP "just pick random episodes from season 1 and bung them on" releases

10. Starscream759

That's the problem with having shows that are vastly popular to the internet crowd there's always somebody who thinks it's a good idea to just not have a complete series box set for a show that's been around for ages and are considered classic cartoons in terms of stuff from Disney. *cough* Ducktales *cough* Darkwing Duck *cough* Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers.

11. Snowyshy

Don't recall any season release on VHS, mostly volumes. Similar to DVDs for kids with like five episodes, except only two. Good example, I had two Sonic SatAM VHS tapes in the past, only two episodes.

On DVD, I've seen complete seasons of shows, not counting volumes.

Eek! Sounds like a quick way to make a buck of kids looking for DVDs, but not caring about the content. Here in the US, most kids cartoons get volume releases, but some do get full seasons. This is usually small, like MLP, Adventure Time, Spongebob. Otherwise it's mostly volumes. My guess for that is parents don't want to pay for an expensive DVD set or Blu-Ray if it's something their kid may outgrow.

Now I need to keep a close eye on those DVDs to see the broken up set, I saw a Talespin one the other day too.

For something a bit ironic, Snorks season 1 and season 2 are complete seasons, Snorks season 3 and 4 are one set! The kicker, the same exact studios, Hanna-Barbera and SEPP S.A. worked on both Snorks and Smurfs, even distributor, Warner Bros, released it.

12. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

At least with VHS you've got an excuse, it's older technology, you can't fit as much content. (And also physically - a full season boxset of something on VHS would probably be the size of a small cabinet.) DVDs and even more so Blu-Rays, there aren't those limitations.

Parthidens and Snowyshy like this.
  13. Starscream759

That is true because think about it: a VHS tape would only be able to store enough memory for two episodes hence the need for more tapes when it comes to a complete series with a show like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for example. You might get three episodes if you are lucky. And there's only about enough content to squeeze in one bonus feature at the end before the tape runs out which is not counting the warnings or the adverts at the beginning of the tape once you place it in the VCR so we could be talking like 24 minutes an a episode depending on the show your watching a piece. God I feel so old, plus I miss VCRs. :p

14. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Okay, hold up guys, old person coming through and about to do a Granny Smith "when I were a foal" impression. :D

First up, VHS tapes had plenty of running time. The standard length for blank tapes was E180 (three hours) although E240 was quite common later in the format's life. You could certainly record full-length films from the telly.

Second, full-season/series box sets were really common. For example, the first series season of The Sopranos had a box set, which took up five tapes. Bulkier than DVDs, sure, but by no means unmanageable. Said box sets are all over eBay to this day.

And third, a full season of FiM works out at 572 minutes. You could get that on a set of four E180 VHS tapes and still have room for the odd extra. (Yes, VHS extras were a thing, to a small extent at least -- eg one VHS version of Disney's Sleeping Beauty included a "making of" documentary.)

As far as I know, Hasbro didn't put out any VHS G1 season box sets -- but they could have done.

#12254 Loganberry, 20 May 2017 at 1:03am
    Last edited: 20 May 2017 at 1:12am
  15. sten whik

sten whik Space

I was just typing something similar out. Though I'm not an old dude. :p

Depending on the show you could have a full season on one tape (Thomas he Tank Engine episodes were like only five minutes long lol). But even so there were also a few 20 tape boxsets. XD

Standard practice for a serialised show (though Fox often ignored it) was to release a season that would take up multiple tapes in one tape volumes every two weeks to three months and once that was done to then release the box set containing all those tapes. A lot of people didn't bother buying the box sets because they were either renting or had already purchased a volume or three from it which resulted in nearly everyone having random volumes from box sets. The practice continued into DVDs/Blu-rays.

#12255 sten whik, 20 May 2017 at 1:25am
    Last edited: 20 May 2017 at 1:42am
    Loganberry likes this.
  16. Snowyshy

Interesting, I was unaware The Sopranos got a VHS release. I do remember Dad's Star Trek set, but again, that was five different movies and it was not the show.

To compare, I do recall recording in EP would last about six hours IIRC, when compared to LP and SP speeds. I also recall the quality would drop in EP.

Yeah, all I recall is an official Sonic SatAM VHS I had, and my brother had some Goosebumps ones, they mainly contained two episodes. Rest were mostly movies.

Random fact, as I was unpacking DVDs, we still have a sealed up copy of Bambi on VHS. Haha, still has the $19.99 price tag, which is an average price for a Disney DVD here in the US.

Loganberry likes this.
  17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Am I the only one that didn't mind the FIM S1 DVD releases? Episodes where the running order didn't matter grouped on to themed discs was quite a nice idea I thought, you can still watch them in episode order if you really wanted... but a new order makes a change.

18. Snowyshy

Personal note, I really wouldn't know as I live here in the US, and our season set is in order for most of the part. Some episodes did get switched for broadcast. Example, the Season 3 episodes Just For Sidekicks and Games Ponies Play aired back to back, yet on the DVD, it Just For Sidekicks is episode 8 instead of 11.

Though, we did get some "themed" volumes. Example "A Dash Of Awesome" is all Rainbow Dash episodes.

In relation to what annoys me, power went out as I was typing this out. :p

19. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Disqus, as used on EqD's comments. The number of times I've pressed send on a comment and it's gone wrong and I've lost my post is ridiculous, far higher than any other site I use.

20. sten whik

sten whik Space

You should see how bad Livefyre is. :confused: