1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

100 Women 2016: The women challenging sexism in e-sports

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Recurrent Trotting, 22 November 2016.

1. Recurrent Trotting

[BBC]
    I'm sure this will be everywhere soon, so I thought we might as well have a thread on it.

I like the idea of more diverse games - pony shows that making stuff for girls that doesn't suck benefits everyone :p Also continuing to challenge immature ranting sexist net behaviour is a good thing. Role models could help with that I think, along with the general move towards net stuff gaining popular acceptance.

On the other hoof a female league for e-sports seems a bit iffy. It kind of assumes that women as professional e-sports players is a 'good thing' just because there aren't many women doing it, which seems a bit tokenistic to me. I want to know why women not playing e-sports professionally is a thing we should be concerned about women not doing.

2. servirare

servirare hmmmmm

If all things were equal and few women were in gaming, then there'd be nothing to worry about. Gamergate however showed however that things are very much not equal and being female with intent can lead to a massive torrent of abuse.

In other words it's clear the environment is extremely hostile to women, so many people assume not unreasonably that the massive gender imbalance is a symptom of that. A very hostile environment to half the population is something to be concerned about.

3. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Ah yes, I remember that article did the rounds on Reddit about a week ago. My word, that was one of the worst BBC articles I've read in a very long time. Not only were the facts totally wrong but they didn't even research the thing very well.

The article could have been about women in esports (not "e-sports"), their success and problems they face. Instead the article is about how esports is toxic and women are allegedly discriminated against.

As someone who tends to shun esports (for all but the esports relating to Rainbow Six: Siege) I felt that that article did two things, it focussed entirely on negativity and blamed esports and "gamers" for the vitriolic behaviour.

He's a counter-article I found on Reddit at the time that article was newer: https://slingshotesports.com/2016/1...rticle-sexism-in-esports-more-harm-than-good/

The general idea was down to sexism in esports being present, and that descrimination was present and that there is indeed something that needs to be done against it. The thing is, the BBC put in minimal effort into researching esports, calling Twitch a YouTube service and owned by Google (it's actually owned by Amazon, why else is Twitch now giving away deals with Amazon Prime these days?), refering to prize money as "pay" and confusing the whole situation with that, and what's worst of all, they bring in quotes out of context.

The article I linked adresses most of the failures of the BBC in their article on the matter, and from what I gathered from Reddit, most of the article is not representative for the communities of DotA, CS:GO and SCII when it comes to women in esports. I hear LoL is letting itself down though.

4. Recurrent Trotting

thanks for article - it echoes my gripe with BBC piece in that it ignores every other reason women might not do professional e-sports in order to focus on harassment/pay (to be fair those themes are going to appeal to a broader audience than e-sport specific bars :p )
    Interesting look into the way professional sports and esports* work and how that might affect gender. I wonder what the most gender-equal professional sports are?

*e-sports / esports hmm not sure which feels more right to me *goes to play with his i-Pod* :D

5. vaska00762

vaska00762 R6 Siege fan

Esports is the term, it's always been the term. This isn't like email where at one stage it was called e-mail since people needed to be informed that it was electronic mail.

Esports just what pretty much every one uses, and it's the name of a few esports organisations/companies like ESL (formerly the Electronic Sports League, now just Esports League) and so on. I guess esports hasn't entered the Oxford dictionary so there's that...

6. Recurrent Trotting

hopefully the general professionalising of esports will turn stop them just being hesports :D eh eh. also the non-netty media might have a bit more to say about them as esports become more of an established thing and understand about Twitch, friggin newbs... I mean.. oldwbs?

7. 20%isthedream

aren't women just not good enough skillwise? whether its coincidence or not it seems to be the case, also gamergate is an awful example since its just full of lies