1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

2017 G4 MLP Movie discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Centurion, 20 October 2014.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Squeeeee! :D At long, long last we're going to be able to see the new animation style moving. This is going to be big. (Edit: assuming it's not just a black screen, the logo we've all seen, and "Coming Soon"!)

35 seconds seems very short for a cinema trailer, though; aren't they usually about two minutes? (Edit: oh, that's for full trailers. This is just a teaser, so fair enough.)

#341 Loganberry, 3 April 2017
    Last edited: 3 April 2017
  2. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

3. Cendaquenta

We have a trailer!

4. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

My birthday's tomorrow, can I accept this as an early birthday gift? :p

Danishbrony2011 and Cendaquenta like this.
  5. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Well, the animation is nice .... but other than that it doesn't really tell us a whole lot.

6. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

It's a teaser trailer. Either that, or Lionsgate got the clear message "NO SPOILERS!" :p

7. Loganberry

Re the trailer, if anyone's thinking the animation looks a bit off... they're right! Via this EqD post, Rebecca Dart, who is art director for the movie (and filled the same role for S5) is not happy with how it came out and says it's not representative of what we'll see in the finished film:

8. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

The trailer isn't really spoilery but I've put this in spoiler tags just in case.
    I didn't think the animations looked all that bad - at least not in the style - if anything the only problem is it all looks a bit low-res, despite YouTube telling me it was in HD but that's no reason to worry. I wouldn't have noticed anything wrong if nopony had said anything. I can imagine they have fewer restrictions and more to work with with whatever new software they're using. A little bit disappointed that there's no clips from the actual film but I guess that's still to look forward to. Then I'm no expert in animation and would be perfectly happy if it looked just like the show. :)

Funny that when they mention an "all-star cast" they put a bunch of names on the screen and I don't recognise one of them. The original FIM cast should have had their names there instead.

9. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

I agree on the art style - if it hadn't been for the tweets I wouldn't have noticed anything about the animations looking "off". I actually thought that it looked quite good! Regardless, I'd have liked to have seen some real footage, although I wasn't expecting anything with the "teaser" tag attached.

I ceratinly didn't recognise all of the "star" names either, but Emily Blunt is a bonafide A-list actress (even more so now that she's the new Mary Poppins) and Sia is a big name in the pop music world (or so young people tell me ;)). The Mane Six's voice cast would be unknown to most people (although the majority would have heard at least Tara voicing something at some point without knowing who she was) so while not a fair reflection on their contribution to the movie, it's understandable that they weren't up there.

10. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

Finally the day has arrived.

11. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Fluttershy confirmed for movie.

All is well :)

12. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

But Pinkie Pie is. Bah.

13. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

I gave the trailer a gander seeing as ponies were saying it isn't spoilery and doesn't show any of the movie, plus I wanted to see the new animation style :p I thought it was very movie like and can't wait to see it properly in action but I do hope they sort the shading out as RD had a severe case of panda eyes :p

14. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

That was a compression issue... See this post: http://ukofequestria.co.uk/threads/mlp-movie-announced-for-2017.14667/page-18#post-1110177

MCtoastie likes this.
  15. Loganberry

A brief new update from animator Michel Gagné. He says that his time working on the film has been extended beyond what he'd originally anticipated, that he likes working with DHX and that "people will be very surprised to see how good the film looks". He also says he expects to finish work on MLP: The Movie at the end of July:

http://www.gagneint.com/Final site/Whatsnew/archive/2017/04_April/09.html

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

We've gotten another update on the film. I haven't posted in this thread for quite some time so figured I'd share the link and post my overall thoughts based on what we've been given so far. If you're particularly anal about spoilers I wouldn't click the link, but from my point of view it can hardly be considered one given that they themselves released this image.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/05/ew-releases-mlp-movie-first-look-pretty.html

It's prettier than I'd envisioned a
    G4 Sea Pony
    intrepetation being...but yeah, very much have my reservations.

I suppose after Ratchet and Clank last year I kind of learned my lesson about getting blindly hyped for great franchises that are unproven in the medium of film. That way it doesn't sting as much if it doesn't quite work out. (No, the Equestria Girls films don't count. They were TV spin offs, not widely released theatrical films.)

Being a wide release, while good for exposure, means there's a greater need for accessibility, which usually doesn't bode well. I'm not going to write it off since the show itself defied the pre set notions of merchandise driven programming as it was/is, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have reservations.

But even if it doesn't work out, I'll still be seeing it regardless. Especially if the Severn Bronies make it a meet plan, which is more or less inevitable.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  17. sten whik

sten whik Space

18. Aldersgate

Aldersgate Honorary Pony

Very pretty and some relaxing music.

The sea ponies actually look pretty cool, especially Dash. I hope that they don't spend too much time in sea pony form though

janglehooves likes this.
  19. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

movie is looking good :)
    haah if that is spike the puffer fish. Interesting the AJ is stealing the show centrestage - maybe because she's an original pony?

also rarity looks the most different as a seapony - didn't recognise her at first

I think they've done a great job preserving the look of the series ponies while transitioning them to film production quality. I'm getting excited for this movie :D

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  20. sten whik

sten whik Space

Tying her tail fins together is just the most adorable thing.

janglehooves likes this.