1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

2021 G5 MLP Movie discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Danishbrony2011, 15 February 2019.

1. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Release dates, INCLUDING UK, have been announced!

Info via Equestria Daily. Dates given are:

USA: 24th September 2021
    Netherlands: 13th October 2021
    UK: 15th October 2021
    Turkey: 22nd October 2021

The three-week gap between US and UK releases is a real shame -- that's longer than the equivalent gap for the 2017 film -- but at least we know how long we have to wait now. :)

3. Loganberry

Some news from Hasbro, via the Festival of Licensing trade event in the US. Mildly spoilery in the sense that it hints at the direction of G5, but more immediately it confirms that we are still looking at September 2021 for the film's release despite you-know-what world event.

Next up, the world of Equestria is expanding to introduce a new generation of ponies to a new generation of fans. With more humor, heart, and music than ever before, Hasbro hopes that audiences will be swept away by the new cast of ponies and the incredible adventure that awaits them. Fall in love with My Little Pony all over again when the all-new, computer-animated theatrical feature hits theaters everywhere in September 2021.

Mane25, Blissful690 and Oilyvalves like this.
  4. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Well, it's all the right signals at least.

I'm particularly intrigued by the phrase "the world of Equestria is expanding", which suggests we may not be looking at the hard continuity reboot some people were speculating about. Might we be looking at new characters in a world that at least doesn't rule out the possibility of it still being Equestria?

Loganberry likes this.
  5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

All bets are off at this point as everything that was leaked went out of the window. We're going in blind :)

Loganberry and Blissful690 like this.
  6. Kim

Kim Collargogglebirdhorse

I've heard folks say more recently that G5 has been "confirmed" to have a different main cast (contrary to those leaks from what feels like seven lifetimes ago). Is that actually confirmed, or just presumed?

7. Loganberry

I don't think anything much has been officially confirmed beyond that G5 is happening, coming in September 2021, and using CGI for the movie but Toon Boom Harmony for the following show. I'm not sure whether any of the VAs themselves have commented. They'd doubtless not be able to say yes before Hasbro gave the go-ahead, but I imagine they could say no if they knew they weren't involved.

8. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I think that's based on:

the phrase "a new generation of ponies" in the synopsis.

9. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

10. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

It's a promising mystery!
    I'd like this to be genuine G5 because it's very encouraging in my opinion. My interpretation is that it's an older pony telling a younger pony (father and daughter perhaps?) about the Mane Six. Whether it's set in the Equestria we know or an AU where the Mane Six are a legend or fictional characters (perhaps that older pony is a Brony...:D) it's a nice nod to G4 and raises some interesting possibilities. It's also a rather sweet little sequence and has a lot of G4 feel to it at first glance. If G5 can capture some of that G4 atmosphere and pay tribute to its predecessor then I will be happy to watch it, so if this is the real deal it shows promise!

11. Loganberry

Noticed this mentioned on EqD, and it's a biggie! Kidscreen magazine has a feature on the upcoming film, including some quotes from Emily Thompson, VP of global brand management for eOne. (eOne = Entertainment One, which was bought by Hasbro in December 2019.)

Some big reveals here, hence the spoiler cut!
    * The movie will take place in Equestria, but in the future from FiM.
    * The movie (which as I think we all knew will be CGI) is still slated for an autumn 2021 release.
    * The film will boast characters with "a new CG look".
    * The movie’s main character is an activist working to make the pony world a better place.
    * The first products based on the new film should hit the shelves around August.
    * Thompson says that "existing fans are going to be picking out Easter Eggs for months and years to come".

Link to article: https://kidscreen.com/2021/01/29/my-little-pony-rides-high-with-new-cp/

12. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

The.Hype.Is.On.

janglehooves and Loganberry like this.
  13. janglehooves

Mystery solved???
    Looks like that animatic might be genuine as it seems to tie in with the Kidscreen article. Firstly, I am so pleased they decided to go with a future continuation of the G4 universe. I absolutely agree that there is too much great lore and worldbuilding from G4 to just chuck it away. It will be interesting to see how far in the future they go. Will Twilight still be on the throne? Are the rest of the Mane 6 and other existing characters still alive? Though I would love to see some G4 cameos I won't be too disappointed if it's set too far in the future for that as it would give the new production team some more flexibility. From a slightly more cynical point of view I also think there's less risk to the G4 legacy if G5 is set way beyond the Mane 6 era! I'm also pleased to see that they are intending to explore more of Equestria as that seemed to me to be an untapped area of potential in G4.
    As for the theme I'm less enthusiastic. I've never been particularly comfortable with overt politics being incorporated (often clumsily) into kids TV and I'm deeply sceptical about the "activist" politics of the moment. I always enjoyed the timeless quality of FiM and I'm not sure that trying to ride the contemporary political bandwagon will age well, even in the near future... Using media to promote a moral message to kids is ovbviously well established (and FiM made a good job of it by and large) but I think there is a difference between morality and politics, even though the two cross over. With an "activist" main character I think they're probably straying too far into the latter for the sake of appearing current, the trouble being that current, by the nature of being current, doesn't stay current very long!:p
    As ever, it will all depend on the writing and not letting the politics get in the way of storytelling and character development. When FiM strayed more towards the political side of morality it usually did it pretty well either by using a degree of subtlety or incorporating it into the world of Equestria. If G5 can handle it in a similar way and not just try to shoe-horn 2020 human politics into an Equestrian setting I think it will work OK. I also hope they don't adopt the year zero approach of some of todays activist politics and go down the line of "OMG, G4 Equestria was so toxic!" etc. etc. because it clearly wasn't! I am cautiously optimistic from the animatic and the positive comments about G4 in the Kidscreen article that won't be the case.

14. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Well, guess that means I'll be disappearing from the fandom for a while when it drops cos I can't afford Netflix since I don't have a credit card. And I don't want to run into any major spoilers.

15. Loganberry

As far as I can tell, the Netflix announcement there is likely to mean specifically the US. We don't yet know what the arrangements will be for the UK, though I wouldn't exactly be shocked if it was Netflix here as well.

I'm disappointed in a way, since I would much have preferred to see this film in the cinema. But given the wider situation right now, that's probably unrealistic if Hasbro insist on their September release date. Legend of Everfree didn't appear on the big screen and that was still good fun, so hopefully this will be as well.

I do hope it's not just on Netflix, though. I don't have that either, and though I could sign up for a month just to watch that I'd prefer not to. Maybe it'll be available for one-off purchase on other platforms, at least after an initial period. Maybe even Tiny Pop a long way down the line! What I really want is a Blu-ray/DVD release, though I'm not sure whether we'll get one. I do hope so. Despite their faults and the ageing technology, a physical copy is something I always like to have if possible.

16. janglehooves

Not bad IMO if it's genuine. It's not exactly G4, more of a spin on the G4 style as we've seen in the comics and really rather cute!

17. sten whik

sten whik Space

Their smiles and eyes are a bit lifeless but it's worth noting the packaging images Hasbro repeatedly used for a lot of their G4 merch were never the exact same style as the show anyway (I think they were weird vectors of Faust's original concept sketches).

janglehooves and Oilyvalves like this.
  18. Loganberry

According to Equestria Daily, the page on that bedding site has been taken down, and that suggests it is genuine and that Hasbrohas had a word. As for the new style: I think it looks okay, but not amazing. G4 certainly beats it from where I'm standing, however I agree with sten whik's point about how bad some of the G4 vectors were. So I'm maintaining cautious optimism. Hopefully we'll see a bit more when the Hasbro announcement comes along in a few days. :)

janglehooves and Oilyvalves like this.