1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

2021 G5 MLP Movie discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Danishbrony2011, 15 February 2019.

1. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

It was the night before..

2. janglehooves

janglehooves Proud to be an earth pony!

I think the take-down request pretty much confirms the bedding designs as genuine. Stock vector syndrome is definitely a factor here and the fact that they've presumably been adapted for textiles probably accounts for the slightly lifeless look. That said I still think they're cute! :D
    I must say I am glad to see some earth pony representation in the new Mane...er...Three! It seems to confirm the animatic (which unless they're going down a very dark route is a good thing) and it disproves part of a rumour that was doing the rounds which included a claim the new main characters didn't include an earth pony! :eek:

3. sten whik

sten whik Space

I just realised why that jawline the bottom left one has looks so familiar to me...

[​IMG]

4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

5. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Here we go! Entertainment Tonight, which has often been first with MLP news, has done it again:

https://www.etonline.com/my-little-...tflix-greenlights-new-series-exclusive-161157

There's a good deal of detail in that article, more than I was expecting given Hasbro's event doesn't happen until a bit later on, but under the cut I'll go through the main points:

* We have our first movie still! There's one at the bottom of the ET article. The visual style is interesting -- at a brief glance, it almost looks like someone's posed a blind bag figure in a room, though as you look closer you can see more little touches. I like it more than I liked the still photos on those bedsheets.

* The accompanying series will also be on Netflix.
    Probably not a great surprise, especially after the film announcement. But even if that kind of thing is almost inevitable in today's entertainment world, I will be sad in a way. One of the things I liked most about the traditional weekly episodes was the time that gave us all to react, discuss, speculate, draw, write etc. I'm less enthused by the modern binge-watch-a-whole-season approach.

* "In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species."
    So the leaks some people posted online the other day were basically accurate -- we are going to get some kind of Pony equivalent of racism as a backdrop. As with almost anything else, the quality of the writing and general execution will determine whether this not-hugely-original basic plot works. Also this is definitely set in a future Equestria where the achievements of FiM have faded, though we don't know why.

* The central character's name is apparently Sunny Starscout. She's an Earth Pony, and another main character looks like being a unicorn named Izzy. There'll also be "the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian", which is... interesting. :p

* There will be songs -- or at least "elaborate musical numbers". Since MLP series have had songs from the very beginning (shoo be doo!) it would have been a wrenching break with tradition to go any other way. Still good to have it confirmed, though.

6. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

So I was on the fence, but I'm actually pretty hype!

While a series on Netflix may imply the whole thing released at once, some shows there do indeed release once a week. If it doesn't, I'll probably still pace myself to some extent. Maybe closer to one a day, or every other day. I'm sure the fandom will find a way to get around it being an exclusive, if indeed it is, but spoiler management will become a nightmare if a whole season releases at once.

I'm actually quite excited about that synopsis. It will surely hurt to see our beloved Equestria like that, but written well, we could have a really nice story of hope. Worst case is that they drop the anvil on real world issues, but something like the G4 backstory from Hearthswarming Eve could have real potential. Having history repeat itself could also be an interesting touch. I feel like this should be a way to build lore more than to comment directly on current issues. If Equestria really is that tense, maybe the end of this film should be the start of the land returning to the one we know and love. I'd love it to jump back into that tone, but to have everything resolved in an hour and a half could send a rather simplistic message.

7. sten whik

sten whik Space

8. janglehooves

Mixed feelings on this one...
    In terms of plot, it pretty much confirms some of the rumours and I'm still not at all comfortable about it. Let's face it, the plot has it's roots in the left/liberal angst of 2016 and the BLM bandwagon of 2020 so their "contemporary" setting is already out of date before it even airs. I'm also annoyed that they have basically trashed Equestria in order to set up a conflict for their out of date contemporary activist plot. Yes, there is form for conflict between the pony races but seeing as it nearly destroyed them and the resulting unification is so central to pony culture I'm struggling to see how or why they would have got to this state. I'm assuming this is set way in the future after FiM and of course societies evolve over time but for a society which celebrates its unity in the same way we celebrate our major religious festivals, the whole thing seems incredibly contrived. There's no mention of whether they're going with the idea of a council of Alicorns enforcing segregation but if they do I suppose there's a certain sick irony in making the smallest minority race in Equestria the bad guys... Personally, my immersion in a story is spoiled when the motivation behind it is so unsubtle and this has a streak of trendy marketing meeting running right through it. I think I will struggle to suspend my disbelief when it's so obvious a set up but I will watch it because in spite of my reservations, I think there is potential there if it is handled correctly.
    I think @Candy Yunagi put it perfectly:
    This, totally this! If they are just going to drop a bunch of stone obvious Trump references for "comical" effect then forget it. If they are going to give it some thought and perhaps explore why things went so wrong and weave it into the history of FiM then it could be interesting.
    Another thing I find encouraging is that we have a main character who (if her choice of decor is anything to go by) appears to be a big time FiM fan! It's not exactly a Brony saving the day but a main character who is seen as a misfit for liking the positive message of the Mane 6? There are parallels... :) I hope they don't go down the route of using her as a way of having a dig at the Brony fandom (beyond a bit of good natured teasing...) and I'm pleased to say on the basis of what we have seen so far it's not looking like they will.
    And as for Sunny? To be honest, I like her already! She seems to be a very positive sort of activist (not a humourless St. Greta type...) and very likeable, possibly a more focussed version of Pinkie Pie... It's also nice to have an earth pony as the lead character... ;) If getting back to the values of FiM is the solution to the problems of this version of Equestria then that is a cause I can get behind.
    In terms of the look, I thought they might have gone for the cell shaded (or whatever it was) approach of the FiM movie rather then the full 3D CGI look. The problem I have with that is there is a lot of really bad, cheaply done 3D animation out there. The big money stuff can look incredible (Zootopia for example was stunning) but the lower budget output (which I'm guessing this is) can look pretty iffy. There are fans making SFM animations of better quality then some of the professional productions out there. From the little we've seen so far it doesn't look too bad but I'm still getting slight Filly Funtasia vibes... That said I still like the character designs.
    Well, it's fair to say I have deep reservations about G5 but I will be giving it a go, if nothing else just to "meet" the new characters. There is enough there to intrigue me, so I'm not not done with Equestria just yet! :p

9. Loganberry

First animation snippet! Just characters, no backgrounds, but I think it looks pretty decent. Via Equestria Daily's YouTube:

10. Loganberry

Another little animation, confirming the names of three characters:

So, in order of appearance, and with their full official names:

Sunny Starscout
    Hitch Trailblazer
    Izzy Moonbow

11. Candy Yunagi

At this point, I'm fairly confident that
    Izzy is best pony.

12. janglehooves

I would agree that the animation looks pretty good at first glance.
    It may not be big budget Pixar quality 3D but it looks pretty fluid in those clips and certainly not as stiff and artificial as some of the cheaper end out there
    Izzy certainly looks adorable in those clips (and seems to be a hit with the fandom's artists...you forget how fast they can move until something like this comes along...:)) but I'm tending towards Sunny - must be my orange pony affinity...
    They must have got something right with the character designs if the best pony debates are starting already. :D
    EDIT: Speaking of how fast the artists react, as of last night there were fan made G5 plushies on EqD. Now that really is impressive!

#52 janglehooves, 27 February 2021
    Last edited: 28 February 2021
  13. Loganberry

janglehooves likes this.
  14. janglehooves

Good call by the fandom...
    Pipp and Zipp have been officially revealed: https://www.equestriadaily.com/2021/04/pipp-petals-and-zipp-storm-from-my.html (additional screenshot here).
    As predicted by some in the fandom, they are indeed siblings! I like the look of Pipp in 3D but Zipp still looks like another blindbag RD recolour to me, though I like the wing detail.
    As for that phone I'm afraid I detect the stench of a marketing meeting and given the pace of change at the moment this sort of thing is going to date G5 terribly. There seems to be a bizarre fear among some of those producing kids entertainment that if their output isn't a recognisable version of the present and filled with contemporary technology, the intended audience won't get it. It's an incredibly patronising attitude and also complete nonsense! If kids were only interested in "contemporary" settings there wouldn't still be a market for fantasy or sci fi based books/media or indeed those "classics" of childrens literature which haven't already fallen victim to the censor.

15. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Has anyone noticed that...
    ...Zipp might be transgender? I'm not a transgender person myself, but I and I'm 100% definitely sure the trans members of this forum will be more than proud of welcoming the first official transgender character in the franchise.

16. Candy Yunagi

I haven't really been following a lot of speculation or anything, but

That's interesting, what is it about Zipp that implies that? I promise you this isn't a trick question, there's no wrong answer. I'm just curious, that never occurred to me. I would be up for some trans representation, but they'd need a well rounded character without that. G4 did quite well with Lofty, Holiday, Lyra and Bon-Bon for lesbian/bi/pan/poly representation, even if they were minor characters.

17. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Well, Zipp's design kinda has a more masculine look compared to the other mares we've seen, which is why I get the feeling that she might be trans.

18. Candy Yunagi

Okay, that's fair. Seems like a bit of a stretch, but all we really have is speculation at this point. I do like her design, it's quite unlike anything in G4. Though I am easily pleased by bright colours ^^;

19. janglehooves

And in more news...
    It appears we have a confirmed Mane...er...Five for the movie. This puts a bit of an imbalance in the Earth/Pegasus/Unicorn ratio so I suppose we might just end up with another unicorn by the end of the movie... At least Zipp appears to have cheered up a bit!

#60 janglehooves, 17 April 2021
    Last edited: 17 April 2021