1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

2021 G5 MLP Movie discussion

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Danishbrony2011, 15 February 2019.

1. Blissful690

Blissful690 Insert image of Starlight Glimmer here

Just do what I'm gonna do and buy a Netflix gift card shortly before release day.

2. Streamline

Streamline Honorary Pony

Still not sure what to make of that. I did like some of the humour, the animation style looks alight, and it is a nice touch having the mane 6 on the bedside table at the beginning.

Other than that, the storyline looks a little too 'humanised'. There is no magic, no special effects, to particular drama amongst any characters. It all just looks a little too 'fun and easy going' almost sitcom like. Maybe too early to say but I would hope there is a decent story behind the divide between species, in some way that follows on from G4. Not entirely sold on most of the characters, Izzy looks fun but just not sure with the others yet. Don't feel there was a need for these celebrity voice overs either. The whole thing just looks a little too predictable for me so far but has some potential.

Is it worth fussing about to get a Netflix membership? Not overly convinced.

3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Reminds me of Filly Funtasia visually (not in necessarily a bad way). I've got no problem with the way it looks. I'm not going to make any other judgements from the trailer, because I always have negative reactions from trailers (there's something about the style of trailers that puts me off anything). I'll definitely give it a fair go.

4. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

5. Blissful690

The most recent issue of the MLP magazine has a "Pony Tribes Game". It's your typical "roll the dice, move your counter, do whatever the space you land on tells you to do, be the first to finish to win" game. Now why I bring is up is because the game spoils that:
    Sprout is the bad guy.

6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

For those avoiding spoilers, you might want to be aware that Singapore (one of the few countries which is getting a cinematic release) has a special preview screening at one venue on 19th September. As far as I can tell, that's the earliest public screening anywhere in the world. So make sure your spoiler shields are strong! :p

7. Candy Yunagi

Candy Yunagi Wishes she could be a cat

At least it's just a few days and not several months this time. This is strangely nostalgic, though. Dodging pony spoilers feels like something of a tradition by now.

8. Danishbrony2011

Danishbrony2011 Honorary Pony

9. Blissful690

Well, I got my Netflix gift card today to get myself ready for the big day tomorrow.

10. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Does anyone know what time new Netflix content drops?

#90 Mane25, 24 September 2021
    Last edited: 24 September 2021
  11. sten whik

sten whik Space

Used to be 08:00 but I've no idea if that's still the case

12. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Well it's here now!

13. moody magpie

moody magpie One shall stand, one shall fall.

I will be watching this during my break at work today, cos if I leave if any longer someone will spoil it for me!

14. Blissful690

I'll be watching it at teatime. Interestingly, the movie is a PG over here too, and the reason the BBFC gives for that classifiation is "threat". That's it. Now this leads me to believe the targeted demographic for this new generation of MLP will be older children, rather than nursery age as per G1-G4.

15. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

OK, so I had absolutely no expectations coming in to watching this, I've not really kept up with fandom activity in the last year, I've not been on Equestria Daily etc., and I don't even know how this was even expected to go down, let alone how it's received now. So:

All I can say is I had a lot of fun watching it. I wasn't expecting the mane 6 to turn up in any form, the cameo was a surprise and turned out to be unexpectedly nostalgic. I like how they remain somewhat canon, even if they are merely legends in this universe, actually it makes me less sad knowing that they "live on" in some form. In fact nostalgia is a big theme here. I like how the friendship = magic concept still remains, as does the anti-cynical ethos that FIM had. All in all, it makes me more optimistic than not about the current direction of MLP. Characters were likeable, I'm perfectly happy with the animation style.

Now I'm a little concerned in case everyone else hated it for some reason.

16. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Only medium sneaky!

So, I just got finished watching the new film. I've managed to stay more or less spoiler free (outside of a few clips on YouTube) and it was actually a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.
    It was really nice to see Twilight and the gang again, I never really got into Pony Life, so the last time I really saw anything from them was the last episode of FiM. I didn't realise they were actually going to have speaking parts, other than the toys on Sunny's shelf I thought there'd be a couple of vague references to FiM, so it was a really nice surprise to see the opening to the new film.

Most of the songs were pretty catchy, I can see I'm going to be humming 'Fit Right In' for a few days, LOL! I also thought the angry mob song was a lot of fun.

The story was a bit standard, and I felt it got a bit preachy - for lack of a better word - in places, but as @Mane25 said up there ^ it kept the same themes as FiM. The characters, with the exception if Pipp who I felt was a bit extraneous and didn't really bring anything to the party, were all a lot of fun, too.

I wonder if that credits scene is going to lead into anything or if it was just a cute scene to end the film?

17. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

Other than having a general idea of the new characters, I managed to stay largely unspoiled. (Which was nice, as I had the last couple of season finales of FiM and the movie spoiled before I could watch them.)

I really enjoyed it. :)

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Mane 6 actually in the film, I wasn't expecting that, and it was nice.

It was left rather ambiguous as to why the races started living apart in the first place. Are the mane 6 historical figures from a better time, or are they just legends? I choose to believe the former. :)

I liked the characters for the most part, particularly Sunny--She reminds me a lot of Twilight. :) Not too sure about Pipp, she seemed kind of... just there... a lot of the time. But when I started watching FiM, it took me some time to warm up to Rarity, so maybe this is a similar situation.

The music was quite good, and although I can see why some might find the story preachy, I really enjoyed it. The comedic moments were quite well done too.

I love that the unicorn city is called Bridlewood. :p

I stopped watching Pony Life after a few episodes, because it just made me miss FiM too much, and although FiM holds a place in my heart that I don't think anything will ever quite be able to top, this felt like a worthy continuation of its legacy. :)

#97 Bridle Timeout, 24 September 2021
    Last edited: 24 September 2021
  18. anthony rothstein

19. Steamworks

Steamworks Honorary Pony

So...not gonna do my usual live thoughts thing. Of course I'll end up doing it somewhat anyway.

I really love Sunny's enthusiasm. Was hoping to see more of her dad, though.

Stuffing tons of little references and nods in the background? Andy Price's influence?

Hitch's calendar. Those pictures. That boy ain't straight.

Was that some Offspring in Sprout's song? And maybe some Nirvana?

Right, onward and upward with the new generation!

Oilyvalves and Loganberry like this.
  20. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

The former is what's more heavily implied, I think, but actually I think I prefer to believe the latter. I don't like the idea of everything they worked for failing, also the narrative of a society learning about friendship for the first time could be quite good. This could be a closer analogue for the real world.

Oilyvalves likes this.