1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

A couple of student films

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Arualsti, 16 July 2012.

1. Arualsti

Arualsti ah-roo-al-stee

Hey guys, I am fresh off my first year of uni (doing television production) and am currently eagerly awaiting the results. However I would like to share a couple of my video projects. Both of them were done with 3 other people and I, with me doing most of the editing and some of the directing. Both were shot on Canon 550Ds with 18-55mm lenses, 60mm prime lense and a 10-22mm wide angle lense. I would love to hear what you all think and any criticism would be appreciated

[snip]

2. Somnias

Somnias Merri Ol' Soul

As much as I loved the meaning and significance of the second video, the repeated swearing does make it unsuitable for this site.
    Just so you know why it has been removed.

3. NinjaDuckie

NinjaDuckie Abrahoof Lincolt

Pretty good, some great shots and editing together. The only thing I'd say is either credit the musical composer or pick up some royalty-free music, you might be marked down for using music without crediting it and you certainly won't get away with it in the second or third year. Other than that, I enjoyed Signal. Great job! :D

4. Geo Ghost

Geo Ghost Active Pony

I've worked on a number of student films myself so I'll be happy to have a look and give some feedback :D

Quite enjoyed it actually! Short, sweet, interesting story, and it makes sense.

Pros +
    • The colour is very good. It's a personal thing, but I do love colour! It's vibrant but works well.
    • The idea is interesting. Simple, short, effective, and sweet.
    • The music fits quite nicely, though to me it gets a bit 'samey' when it's throughout if you get what I mean.
    • A nice variation of shots that are also cut together well!
    • And finally, the shots are sharp and in focus when they need to be. There's a good bit of Depth of Field control there too.
    Constructive Criticism -
    • The first thing I noticed was that the second shot is very shakey. You have a lovely little focus pull at the start then a shakey second shot. The first few shots really count! Always avoid shakey shots. They are thy devil! Especially when placed between static ones.
    • Like above, try to avoid re-framing the shot whilst filming. Sudden movements (3rd shot) can sometimes be quite noticeable. I've fallen into that trap before because I was afraid to ask someone to stop for a second so I could move. Never be afraid to!
    • Whilst the music is good, it is a tad too loud with the voice over. Whilst I can just about hear him, it is slightly tricky.
    • On a related note with the voice acting, I can hear him 'sss'ing a hell of a lot and he's a bit mellow in acting - it's difficult to feel any emotion coming across. However, I don't know what you guys used to record the VO and whether that person is a voice actor or just someone in the group :p
    • Final note, avoid anything hand-held with the 550D unless you have some form of rig to help stability. DSLR cameras may look pretty but their centre of balance is terrible compared to a more standard-feeling camera such as a Sony Z1 (just for example). Stick to a tripod as much as you can and avoid zooming too much unless you have a very stable tripod. We had a case this year where on a shoot with a 60D I had a telephoto lens on a tripod and the slightest touch made the shot bounce around all over the place. It was terrible!
    I hope I haven't killed your soul or upset you with my comments. It is obviously not intended but if someone does want constructive criticism, I do give as much as I can - just like when I used to ask for feedback on my own projects.
    Certainly a short piece of work to be proud of. Very well done! Hope to see what else you create in the future. Keep up the good work and remember to always follow the golden rules ;) One of my old tutors didn't even know what the Rule of Thirds was!

NinjaDuckie likes this.
  5. Arualsti

Arualsti ah-roo-al-stee

Thank you for the criticism, as for the fella doing the voice acting, he was just a friend at uni who agreed to help us, not a voice actor at all. Also, the equipment available to 1st years is...lacking. The tripod we had didn't allow for that second shot. If I recall, my friend who filmed it had to have the camera nearly on the floor and use a mirror to see the screen, but some of the shots were definitely unnecessarily shaky.

But thank you for your thoughts!

6. Geo Ghost

Geo Ghost Active Pony

In which case, an extra well done for what you managed :D I know the feeling of not having kit available to you. We were lucky on my FD course since we were 7 in the first year, and there were 2 in the second year so we could all use any equipment available. Though my favourite piece of kit always remained the Sony FX1. A bit outdated, but it was the most comfortable and efficient camera I'd ever used. Bit of a pain that I had to record the sound from another source, but the camera ran very well and was easy to use handheld as well.
    If you are going to be doing group work throughout the years at uni and intend on working with the same people, it may be worth investing in equipment yourselves. my friends tried this and it was a huge benefit to them. Especially since the university never gave them the kit they had booked out.