1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Other Adventures of The Phoenix

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by Sharpster25, 15 July 2015.

1. Sharpster25

Sharpster25 Honorary Pony

Its been 57 years since the events of FIM, Equestria has entered an industrial age driven by the power of steam and airships of all different sizes now rule the sky over most of the known world.

However, over the years diplomacy between Equestria and The Griffon kingdoms had been breaking down until a 12 years ago the Griffons stopped all contact and trade with Equestria. Unfortunately without trade from Equestria the Griffons have depleted most of the natural resources in their homeland. Unwilling to open diplomatic relations again, the Griffon Kingdoms have set out to claim Equestrias riches through force.

The ponies of Equestria, having never been a war-like race are out-gunned by the griffons superior weapons tech. Blackpowder weapons are still considered a new technology.

This story however is only about one small part of the big picture, a single ship; 'The Phoenix'. A small frigate-class airship and it's crew, hired by the Equestrian government to bolster their own out-gunned airship fleets.

The Phoenix is a small single-decked airship equipped with 12 relatively light blackpowder cannons, 5 on each side and 2 rear-facing all on the top deck. The helm sits at the front of the top deck to give the pilot a clear view of the sky ahead. Below deck; at the front of the ship is the storage area as well as the sleeping quarters, in the middle is the engine room. At the back on one side is the captains quarters and on the other is the communications/navigation room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for a few rules:

1.Keep in mind the forum rules here: http://www.ukofequestria.co.uk/threads/roleplay-rules.3810/
    mainly the "no graphic or violent rp" basically just don't go into great graphic description of anything over PG 13.

Also, the ship has a small crew and is lightly armoured, we're not designed for close-quarters/boarding actions, just keep that in mind.

2. No god-modding and such, standard stuff, don't make your character op, like able to take an entire ships crew by themselves, that kinda kills the fun for the rest of us.

3. For the purposes of city locations and the Griffon Kingdoms, we'll stick with the official table-map-thing from the show:
    [​IMG]

4. QUITE IMPORTANT - As a small ship we'll have a limited number of spaces for roleplayers, and we won't be able to set off until we have our full crew at the ready, so if you're interested head on over to the OOC page for this RP and tell me what position you want to be (like doctor, navigator, pilot, whatever)

#1 Sharpster25, 15 July 2015
    Last edited: 19 July 2015
  2. Sharpster25

Silent leaned back against the helm of his airship, The Phoenix, idly watching the crew ferry supplies off the docks and down into the ships hold. Looking past them he looked over the Manehatten airship docks, it was late morning and it was alive with the hustle and bustle of many ponies all looking like they were in a hurry to be somewhere, and behind that, the city of Manehatten itself, skyscrapers towering above the streets below. Absent-mindedly he adjusted his aviators hat 'n goggles on his head and his bomber jacket he wore to stave off the cold air of the high altitudes of airship travel.

“Captain? ...Sir!?” a voice snapped him out of his trance, he looked back and saw one of the crew saluting him from the steps up to the helm.

“Nah need ter salute me, we're not in the military” he waved a hoof at her and the mare dropped her hoof “Anyway, wot do ya need?”

“Erm, its just there's a member of the Night guard on the docks, says she's here to talk to you, wouldn't say about what” she said as she pointed towards the gangplank, sure enough a batpony stood waiting, impatiently tapping a hoof on the ground.

“Ugh, fine send 'er up” he said waving a hoof to dismiss her, a minute later the night guard walked up the steps, her coat was a dark grey and her two-tone purple tail was cut short and her mane was hidden by her helmet, she was also wearing the traditional purple night guard armour. At first glance her front left leg looked like it was coated in metal, on second glance he saw her leg was metal, the joints of the leg hissed slightly as she walked up the stairs indicating it was steam powered, probably by a pressurized canister built into the inside.

She stopped in front of him “Lieutenant Nightwing 8th Negasus Regiment, Manehatten Detachment” she reeled off as if she was a bit bored of saying it “you in charge here?”

“Yeah, this is me ship, may I 'elp ya?”

Nightwing raised an eyebrow “Judging from your accent I assume you're from Trottingham, anyway, I'm here on orders to act as your advisor on military matters”

“As long as ya keep one fin' in mind, this 'ere's me airship and wot I say goes, 're we clear?” Silent said with a slight threatening tone.

“crystal” Nightwing said taking a step back.

“Good, ...Snow!” he shouted, a few seconds later a pegasus wearing goggles on her forehead and a dark grey scarf, with an off white coat and ice blue unkempt mane and tail appeared from the stairs.

“Platinum Snow reporting, you called captain?”

“Yeah, Snow please sha Miss Nightwin' ter the crew quarters where she'll be stayin'” Silent said waving them both away.

“Ok, if you'll follow me Miss” Platinum said leading Nightwing down into the ship.

Silent started pacing around the helm, he was still waiting for some crew that had been hired for him, he wasn't sure why he'd need them, he could fly the ship on his own need be, but he was being paid for this, quite handsomely as well, might as well do it right.

3. Vianessa

Vianessa Something terrible’s happened, no idea what it is

Wolf Rayet looked over the banister of the unstable lift in an attempt to stop his travel sickness, he looked past the many airships that flew downwards onwards to the horizon waiting for the journey to end. Once he reached the 15th level of the docks, he simply fell out, saddlebags and dog tumbling out with him.

"Ugh, if I can't handle a lift, how do they expect me to handle a friggin' airship?" He thought to himself, standing up and taking a deep breath of fresh air. Once he'd regained his vision, he spotted the ship - the phoenix - just waiting to take off. But it wasn't the ship that caught his eye, it was the dark bat pony standing beside it - well, the pony herself he liked the look of, but it was her leg that got him excited the most. He'd never seen automated limbs in his life, he'd dreamt of working on one for years now. He wished he could've met the inventor, but of course, like most inventors, he was killed by his own autolimb.

He nervously trotted over to try to talk to her after picking up his bags, but before he could, she seemed to have been called by the captain.
    "ahh, member of the crew then." he told thin air. He decided to follow the lead of the batpony and talk to the captain, but before he could, he was interrupted by one of the crew members.

"Woah woah woah, you're not bringing that thing on here."
    the fat, short stallion demanded, being shorter than the dog he was referring to.

"I'll have you know, that thing is my assistant." Rayet replied in an already annoyed tone, Betje growling and her shoulders and head lowered.

*I don't care if it's a princess, a dog is not boarding this vessel."
    he refused, ignoring the fact the dog was growling viscously.

"Betje, down girl." Rayet commanded, she instantly obeyed, standing with her back level again. "Well, if you refuse Betje, you refuse me. Guess your ship's lost a valuable crew member." He finished his sentence by walking back in the direction he came, Betje following close behind.

"Hah! Good riddance!" the stubby pony scoffed, walking back below deck, most likely to his quarters.

Rayet waited for the now what he considered a moron to disappear from the deck,
    "Come on, girl." the dog getting slightly confused as to where they were headed. Soon they both reached the helm of the ship, Betje jumping on the captain and licking his face. "Uhh, we're here for the engineer position."

#3 Vianessa, 20 July 2015
    Last edited: 28 July 2015
  4. Sharpster25

“Gah, pleh” Silent spluttered as he backed out of licking range of the dog that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere, as he wiped his goggles clean he saw a dark coated unicorn talking to him, “What's that, Engineer?” he asked, satisfied his goggles were clean he pulled a notebook out of his pocket and started flicking through it, he'd taken notes from the dossiers he'd been sent of each of the crew members that had been hired for him.

“Ah”
    he said as he found the right page “Ya must be Wolf Rayet then, yeah i've been expectin' ya, I'm Silent Waters, captain o' the Phoenix” He flipped the book closed and pocketed it “Folla me Mr Rayet, i'll sha ya the engine room and where you'll be sleepin'” With Rayet in tow Silent stepped down into the ship, heading left at the bottom of the stairs they entered the crews quarters at the bow of the ship.

“This 'ere's the crew quarters, just pick a bunk and fall in it when ya need ter” he said indicating the bunks that lined the walls, turning about he crossed the small corridor and entered the engine room. “Welcome ter the heart o' the Phoenix” he said, “Military retrofitted 'er wif these 'igh tech beauties, much more compact ...n' powerful than 'er old engines” he tapped one of the engines and leaned back against the wall, “So any questions, or can I leef ya ter get acquainted?”

#4 Sharpster25, 20 July 2015
    Last edited: 21 July 2015
  5. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

((RP'd on a different site for a while now, forgive me if my first posts are a little short.))
    "Speaking of acquainted, are you the captain? And is this the engine room?"
    Marr poked her head around the door, eyes flickering from piece of equipment to piece of equipment. She wasn't sure if she was meant to be down here, and all the surly militia around reminded her of the sealed-off wings of the old government building, back in the old city. Not that they were sealed to her: she was Ghalzheim's up-and-coming child mechanics prodigy. Being one of the Gheldhamrs helped.
    Speaking of the old city, this room smelt a lot like her old workshop.

6. Sharpster25

“Whoa, where did ya come from, 'ow'd ya get on 'ere anyway ...wait” Silent thought he recognised the mare from somewhere, he thought for a moment then it clicked, the dossiers! He'd seen a picture of this mare in one of them. Thinking hard he recalled the name a second later “Ya must be Miss Gheldamr, ya, i'm the Captain, Silent Waters” he noticed she also had an autolimb as well.

“Anyway, officially you're 'ere ter maintain our 'rmaments, but” he leaned in and spoke a bit quieter “Daan't tell our resident night guard but i've read your files I was sent, I fin' you'd be much better suited workin' 'ere wif mr Rayet 'ere”

At that moment his first mate Platinum Snow walked in “Captain, the night guards settled in, though she didn't like her sleeping arrangements”

“She can live wif it or she can get get off me ship” He said, already annoyed at the fact they needed a night guard aboard, “Actually Miss sna, could ya make sure Miss Gheldamr and Mr Rayet get settled in, I need ter get back up top, make sure no-one else sneaks aboard” he said, looking at his newest crew member. With that he walked out and back onto the top deck.

#6 Sharpster25, 24 July 2015
    Last edited: 24 July 2015
  7. Aethelberdia

((I'm going to make that night guard into a sympathetic character if it's the last thing I do :p))
    Looks like I WASN'T meant to just come aboard. Whoops.
    "Thank you, Captain. Happy to help."
    Once Waters was out of the room she turned to 'Mr Rayet', who was, it seems, the engineer.
    "Hey."

8. Sohfiiea

Sohfiiea Active Pony

A cyan Pegasus took a large inhale of air, then proceeding to expel, smiling afterwards. His face said nothing but confidence as he made his way towards the Phoenix. His immediate action was to take a few glances at several locations on the exterior, to get used to his rather new surroundings. Upon immediate sight of who appeared to be the captain, he smiled.
    "Captain?" he called out, to be sure that the captain on board could hear him. "My name is Comet, I'm the Navigator."

Comet, from a glance, looked almost out of place, with his clearly washed and groomed pink-purple mane and tail. To add to the colourful ensemble, his coat screamed with a bright blue-cyan. And just for icing on the cake, he donned a white shirt and black waistcoat.

9. Sharpster25

Silent looked across to the docks and saw a smart looking cyan pegasus shouting a greeting to him, “Ah Mr Comet, i've been waitin' for ya, come aboard” He shouted back. He waited at the end of the gangplank and greeted Comet with a hoofshake “Welcome aboard the Phoenix Mr Comet, na if you'd folla me i'll sha ya where you'll be workin'” With Comet in tow Silent lead him down into the ship, through the engine room and then left into navigation.

“Welcome ter the navigation room” Silent said, in front of them opposite the door was the radio station and against the wall next to the door was a large table taking up most of the room, on it were various maps and charts of Equestria and the surrounding countries and acting as a paperweight on top of them a large compass.

“I'll let ya get settled, na you're 'ere we'll be underway soon” Silent said taking his leave.

As he left the room he ran into the Night Guard, looking quite annoyed “I suppose you think that's funny? Making me sleep with the crew like a common deck-hoof?”

He sighed “Listen 'ere, I daan't kna wot you're used ter on a military ship, but on me ship everyponies equal and I value aw their opinions and concerns on everythin'. na ya WILL get over it and shove that self-righteous attitude of yours, or you'll be off this ship faster than ya can say 'orse-apples” With that he turned and walked away without waiting for a response.

Back at the helm he leaned over to the cone of his end of the Phoenix's voicepipe system, a series of copper pipes that snaked through the ship with each room having its own cone connecting it to the system, when a pony spoke into one of the cones their voice would be carried through the system and heard from all the other cones. “Welcome aboard the Phoenix mares and gentlecolts, I trust that everypony's settled in” he took a breath “Na it's daahhhn ter business. Engine room, get the boilers lit, I want them up ter temperature and ready ter go asap. Navigation, get on the radio and get us our clearance ter take off. everyone else get on deck and ready ter cast off” he took a second to think “And nightwin', meet me at the 'elm, I trust you'll 'ave our 'eadin'”

#9 Sharpster25, 27 July 2015
    Last edited: 3 August 2015
  10. Vianessa

Rayet sat down and admired the engines, attempting to justify the sanity of the pony who'd thought it'd be a good idea to build a boiler as short and wide, instead of long and narrow. He found the sanity of the pony fairly easily before he heard his name called out several times at once, the stallion flinched and quickly looked around to see where his name came from until his attention was caught again by a beige mare.

"You're armaments, right? uhh.." Rayet rattled through the conversations that were just been going on around him trying to remember the mare's name until he noticed her hind leg. Luna, how many ponies on this thing have missing limbs?

"Your leg... it looks familiar. Have we met before?"
    he asked, still staring at her prosthetic leg.

11. Aethelberdia

Marr looks at him closely, leaning in somewhat, before shaking her head.
    "Can't say I have... you might have heard of the family? The leg's my sister's design, she's pretty big in the field, although-" she looks a little proud of herself "-I made it with my own tools. Anyhow, my sister. Sascha Gheldhamr ring a bell?"

12. Sharpster25

Silent left the ships helm and leaned on the starboard railings of his ship and looked over the horizon where the ocean and sky met, “Time for anovver adventure, ey old girl?” He said tapping the wooden railing.

The tell-tail clink of armour and hiss of a steam-powered autolimb alerted Silent to Nightwings presence “You called for me ...sir?” she said with a slightly aggressive edge to the last word.

“Yeah, firstly can I assume you've taken me advice into account?” She nodded “Good, na, I need our 'eadin'”

She coughed and stood up straight “We are to head north to the eastern border of the Crystal Empire, there will be a military encampment set up on the coast, there we'll be joined by one of the Empires airships, together we will then head east across the narrow sea and then turn south where we will scout the Griffons western coastline, gauging and mapping out their defences” She took a breath “We then report to Canterlot asap to report our findings and await new orders”

Silent nodded “Sounds loike a plan”

13. Aethelberdia

((steam powered limbs, lol
    how positively barbaric
    where do you put the coal?))

14. Vianessa

"Sascha, Sascha, Sascha..." Wolf repeated to himself quietly, until he remembered the name, wanting to change the subject quickly. "Ah, yes, I remember her - i'm probably gonna butcher this, but - Calzhime? Anyway, captain's asked us to prepare for departure, need to get her engines ready to run." he hurriedly tapped, toggled and twisted a few of the the controls and gauges on the boiler, finally ensuring all was well, he opened the firehole door on each engine for a few seconds before closing them.

Meanwhile, Betje had gotten to exploring the ship, leaving her trademark pawprints all over it. Once she had found the captain, she decided to sit next to him, facing the same direction and began imitating him. Once the Silent took notice, she looked up at him panting with a smile on her face whilst her tail wagged madly.

15. Aethelberdia

Foreigners NEVER get that right. Ah, well. At least he was honest.
    Marr examined a few of the engines too, basic routine stuff, nothing Rayet wouldn't hav- hold on, these gauges were all wrong.
    "Sorry to interrupt, but either we are going to explode in a shower of steam and coal as soon as we lift off, or these pressure gauges on this engine are faulty. And seeing as the boiler isn't hissing like a cat in a frying pan I think it's the latter."
    She taps the faces of the dials, and the needles don't appear to be moving. Some are far too high, some too low, and some about ideal, but they're all completely immobile, Marr being able to easily move them with magic and leave them in whatever position.
    "Probably just a thing with the valves, or a loose pipe somewhere in the internals. Think we should try and sort something? It could wait, but better safe than sorry."

16. Vianessa

"If i've been told rightly, this ship is rather old, probably seen a few battles," Rayet started as he took another look over the instruments. "Well, you're right on them being faulty, wrong on what's caused the fault." he continued, bringing her round to the side of a boiler.
    "You see, the Fifty one, Seven double 8 B's instruments are all steam powered themselves, the only thing that isn't is the water level inside the boiler." Rayet pointed to the pipe coming from the externals of the engine that lead to the parameter instruments. As he pointed towards

"But, what you're also correct on is the blowing up in a shower of steam and coal - actually, we're using liquefied gems, not coal - which the firebox is overfilling with, so need to turn that off"
    he took hold of a valve under the hatch in the middle of the the floorboards and tightened it, stopping the flow of fuel to the fireboxes.

"Right, Marr, can you shovel a few of those" - Rayet gestured towards a stack of logs - "into the firebox, it's that hatch you're standing next to. I need to go topside to empty out water from the cylinders and warm the smokebox."

17. Aethelberdia

Marr looks incredulous even as she puts the wood into the firebox.
    "...gems. Gems are not flammable. What. How. This is flying in the face of all scientific precepts."

18. Sharpster25

Nightwing looked at him “Yes, though if my time in the Night Guard has taught me anything it's that plans never go off without a hitch” she studied her autolimb as she talked.

“May I ask 'a that 'appened?” Silent said nodding towards her leg.

Her face darkened “...No you may not” she turned and walked away “And you'll do well to not ask that again” she said over her shoulder.

As she walked away he scowled “What's 'er problem?” he muttered to himself, he then turned and almost jumped a foot in the air, Rayet's dog was sat next to him, tail wagging, he sighed “phew, it's just ya” he said as he gave her a quick scratch behind her ears “Try not ter make me jump loike that again”. He turned and looked over the crew as they prepared the ship for take-off, spotting his first mate he called to her “Snow, front and centre!”.

She quickly approached and stood to attention “Aye captain?”

“I'm goin' bela ter me cabin, the 'elms yours for na, send for me once we're ready for take-off” with that he stepped down from the helm and into the ship, once inside he heard Marr and Rayet just finish talking about the gem based fuel.

“You're wite, gems on their own aint flammable” he said stepping into the engine room “But then, wot do ya fin' the black-powder in our fire-arms is made from?” he reached into his inside jacket pocket and pulled out a small pouch of the substance in question “Ya grind them daahhhn ter a fine dust, then a unicorn charges it wif their magic and then it's mixed wif a few ovver choice chemicals” he opened the pouch and poured some into his hoof, the powder looked mainly like a black dust, but he held it up the light and it started sparkling slightly. “The results 're quite a different story ter 'a they start” he dumped the small amount of powder on the floor and pulled out his personal flintlock pistol he always carried under his jacket, designed for use with the mouth. Making sure it wasn't loaded he held the flint to the powder on the ground and bit the trigger, the pistol sparked and the powder on the floor went up in a small shower of sparks for a second leaving just a small scorch mark once they'd gone.

He put his pistol away, “It's the same concept wif our fuel, just wif a few more added ingredients ter keep it in a liquid state” he nodded taking his leave “Anyway, good day” as he went to leave for his cabin.

19. Aethelberdia

"...all due respect, sir, but gunpowder is made with saltpetre and other chemicals, not magical rock dust."
    She looks mildly pitying and doesn't quite seem to grasp magic's status as plot filler.

20. Sharpster25

He turned back in the doorway “Apologies for confusin' ya Miss Gheldhamr, maybe things 're done differently where you're from, but 'ere we 'ave always turned ter magic for most of our problems, na more-so than ever” he took a few steps back into the room, “Magic is the wahn advantage we 'ave over the griffons, we're out-classed 'ere in every ovver way. so damn straight we're garn ter use our magic in every way we can, even if it doesn't make sense ter ya” He turned and continued towards his quarters.

#20 Sharpster25, 7 August 2015
    Last edited: 7 August 2015