1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Suggestion An idea that came to mind.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Blaze_Midnight, 24 August 2014.

1. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

Any ideas that you can come up with about how to do things would be greatly appreciated. The more ideas we get the more I can come up with a rough draft of rules and things to go with the map I'll start working on interms of a rough layout over the next few days..

Neither myself nor @Fridge know what to expect when it comes down to getting this running. So ideas to help it along and maybe help with something we don't think about would be great.

2. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

This might have been mentioned already, but could we implement die rolls into this? Not in the 'high numbers equal good things' aspect but the 'each number means a different effect' for something a little like a 'random encounter' system (like 1-2 there's nothing interesting you can see in that square, 3-4 there's something else, and so on.)

3. Blaze_Midnight

Makes it a little basic though. Yes it would be ok to do for a sort of beta of the rp. But in the long run, having the hiders or even seekers hiding in the areas come across something unexpected because of the high/ low rolls could have some interesting or amusing results. If the area is flat, nothing around except some short grass... then rolling a 1 for something like searching for clues hidden in the grass could just have character decide it's time for food and start munching on the grass itself. Rolling a high number though could end up with the character finding something like an arrow pointing in a rough direction of where the hiders could be.

4. Aethelberdia

Yes, but that's not RP. For instance, some pony like Twilight Sparkle would never just suddenly up and decide 'food time'
    I'm talking about using dice to determine WHAT HAPPENS, rather than how badly it goes. If we decide to go with your option (which I'm not saying we shouldn't) we need to at least have plausible reasons, like for instance 'It looks like there was something written here, but it's been trampled into the floor when you were searching' or something, rather than 'you can't see anything because you decide not to search after all'

5. Blaze_Midnight

It kinda does determine what happens. It also determines how badly that thing goes... So it can be searching for something but then it could go wrong... if in the forest there are gonna be creatures around. So you could get an animal helping you out a little, but then you could end up being chased by something that will either hinder your search or benefit it. Just going by what happens gets rid of the amusement of the roleplay, going by things that could go wrong or right adds to it imo.

6. Aethelberdia

We could do both I guess
    I was just saying that we need some kind of plausible reason, not D&D style 'if you roll a 1 you can't see the mountain in front of you'
    Determining what happens by D20 would be fun
    In fact scratch what I said
    This has such potential to be hilarious
    'I search the tree'
    (rolls 1)
    'The tree spontaneously combusts, setting fire to the forest'

7. Blaze_Midnight

Ok 2 really rough pics of ideas for the map and the waterfall location. Done quickly on limited battery life.
    Hide and seek map concept..jpg Rough waterfall concept .jpg

8. Aethelberdia

Seems legit :p
    Although it does look a little small if I'm getting the scale right
    but then that depends how many users we get

9. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

sounds sweet :D I don't have time atm but would so be up for something like this on UKofE in October or so

10. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

Ok so we have 3 including myself :)

By the way @Blaze_Midnight, that's awesome that you've gone to that level of detail on the map, I didn't expect there to be colour. At least not yet.

11. Aethelberdia

3?
    I said I was in, Fridge, or am I a nonentity all of a sudden?

12. Fridge

Actually I was not counting @Blaze_Midnight in this particular instance. Although thinking of it that's probably a silly thing to do.

13. Aethelberdia

I'll say :p

14. Blaze_Midnight

I'm fine with not being included atm XD... getting ideas is more my thing currently.

The map is alot larger than what that pic shows tbh.. I've taken about 15 mins while at a yugioh tournament while having nothing better to do other than run down battery power XD. But the waterfall is a small part really... probably would look better if I spent longer on it and the map.. but 20 mins battery power isn't long enough XD

Glad you think it looks ok atm though

15. Fridge

Sorry man... I feel bad :( you are of course an important person in these proceedings.

16. Blaze_Midnight

Sorry...???? For what?? XD Seriously don't feel sorry... This is a roleplay I'll back, but possibly won't participate in... Main reason... I'd go a little too overboard with it.. I have a million ideas for both this and the rpg type roleplay. But getting it all together means I can't really push myself too much thanks to work being a thing.. and trying to keep ideas separate from each other is a challenge.