1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Anime

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by XBPonyA, 14 March 2012.

1. Ecthelion_Yuda

Ecthelion_Yuda King of Games

It all depends on what kind of series you're into. If you like the more grimdark stuff then Higurashi no naku Koro ni or Another would be good choices. If you want an anime for the long haul (we're talking at least a year to watch all of the episodes, probably more) then Naruto or Bleach are excellent options. If cardgames are more your thing then I highly recommend Yu-Gi-Oh! If you want something a bit more grown up but avoiding the traps of pervertedness, then nothing is better than Spice and Wolf. If you want an emotional field trip, then Clannad, Angel Beats or AnoHana (no way I'm saying that thing's full name) are perfect. If you like a bit of nonsense nothingness then I highly recommend Asobi Ni Iku Yo (Cat Planet Cuties in english) and Lucky Star. If you're more into the fanservice and panty shots, then To Love-Ru and Highschool of the Dead are good (if you want to get SERIOUSLY ecchi mode, then Highschool DxD and Kiss x Sis are both good...but be warned, make sure no one else is around while you're watching those ones). Anyway, my list of great anime to watch are as follows:

Sword Art Online (no arguments please, it's an opinion, I'm allowed to have one)
    Shingeki no Kyojin
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Mirai Nikki
    Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
    Naruto
    Bleach
    Kiss x Sis
    Death Note
    Lucky Star
    Tokyo Mew Mew
    Highschool DxD

That should give you a taste of every possible genre and hopefully give you a few series that you absolutely love. Enjoy!

2. HIkari

HIkari 7th Generation Anti-Shadow Suppression Weapon

If you like cowboy bebop I'd definitely recommend black lagoon. It's got solid main characters, plenty of gun-play and action scenes and a well paced story. Essentially the plot follows a mercenary group and their jobs and it dips into some quite dark storylines too at points.

You might also like samurai champloo, it's from the same director and the main characters are unsurprisingly quite similar. Lots of action scenes in this series too actually.

3. Nosnibormada

Nosnibormada Music and anime fiend

Well, I'm a bit of a newbie to anime myself (I only started watching it in January this year), but since Cowboy Bebop is science-fiction (or at least I think it is, I haven't seen it myself yet) then I'll suggest some more sci-fi anime essentials for you.

Ghost in the Shell (both films and both TV series)
    Akira
    Memories
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Dominion: Tank Police (be warned, though, it's very silly)

And, as well as those and other people's suggestions, there is (of course) every single film made by Studio Ghibli. Hope that helps!

4. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

And if you enjoy these, then Appleseed is also by Masamune Shirow. :)
    Ergo proxy has been a fun piece o' work too so far to.

5. Ecthelion_Yuda

Since I saw its name mentioned here, I thought we should probably discuss it. Akira. The anime movie that basically started the trend of Japanimation in the West and introduced viewers to the idea of a dubbed animated movie. Am I going to cause a colossal ****storm if I say that I didn't particularly like the film?

6. Nosnibormada

Nah, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The film practically condenses a load of ideas and characters from the manga (which I'm almost half-way through reading now) into the space of two hours, so there's some clear issues with the plot pacing. Take the element of the government resistance with Kei, Ryu, and Nezu. That element does exist in the film, but it's never quite given the depth and background in the film for the audience to get a grasp over that side of the plot and world-building. So, really, if you want to get the story of Akira then read the manga. Don't be put off by it's immense length, it's so engaging that the pages just seem to fly by (although, be warned, the western release is actually read left to right like a western comic). It's not much different to how books are adapted into films over here in the west, to be honest.

But (and there is a but), despite what I've said about the plot, I still think the film is fantastic. The reason for that is purely because of the medium that it is, animation. Because of all the glorious detail put into each individual frame and the overall effect of them put into motion, I can't help but love watching the film. I'm the same with watching Disney shorts from the 30's and 40's, because of the incredibly high quality animation in every scene. Even when I first saw the film via streaming, whilst talking to a friend over Skype, within the first ten minutes or so I said to my friend "I have no idea what's going on, but it's so beautiful that I don't care". Really, I've watched the motorbikes scene from Akira many times and it never gets boring to me. And because the film at least includes enough of the plot and character motivations to make sense then I think it does add enough substance to that high-quality animation. I would say that the first half of the film is pretty rushed, but the second half is much better since it slows down the pace a bit and then builds towards the climax. Oh and of course there's the great voice acting (in the original Japanese, I'm not sure if you saw the English dub or not) which syncs up perfectly with the character animation.

So I can understand why you might not have liked the film (assuming that the problems I pointed out were the ones you had with it), but they don't outweigh the positives to me. And I think that it didn't just influence anime as a whole but also animation in general, since (as far as I'm aware) it re-defined what could be in an animated film and what couldn't. But all that said, I'm curious to hear what others here have to say about it. Sorry for the rather long post.

7. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

if the protagonists in harem animes weren't completely oblivious morons there wouldn't be much of a show left

if it winds you up that much then i dont think that type of anime is for you

although i will admit that even by harem standards Orimura is extremely oblivious

mostly

Komaeda likes this.
  8. RealLiveMushroom

RealLiveMushroom Active Pony

Wow! Thanks for all those awesome responses! :D
    I will definitely get watching at least one of those.
    I was going to try Black lagoon anyway, because my friends recommended it.
    Also, I have heard 'Outlaw Star' is good?
    Highschool of the Dead is supposed to be kinda good, apparently, though I don't know much about it.

Anyway! Thanks for so many suggestions! I will get trying a few of those series.

9. Ecthelion_Yuda

If you like large chests and zombies, then you're gonna love Highschool of the Dead.

10. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

Outlaw Star was probably one of the first anime series I watched fully. It's a good, fun show and there's a remastered DVD coming out in August so that's the perfect time to pick it up.

HOTD I'm watching at the moment. The story, characters and action are great. The fan-service does get ridiculous at times though to the point where I find myself saying "Oh for God's sake!" out loud at the screen.

Corduroy Road likes this.
  11. Ecthelion_Yuda

Wait, are you trying to tell me that Highschool of the Dead ISN'T just fan service?

12. Little Phantomhive

Little Phantomhive Recognised Pony

I watched Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

My god what happened...
    The first two films were so good, so very good but this one was everything bad about evangelion. Its going into one of its nonsense tangents again, they really need to reel in control of the plot right now otherwise the fourth films going to be another EoE

13. Nosnibormada

Heh, Tank Police. The idea itself is pretty ridiculous, so it's safe to say that the show is at its best when it doesn't take itself too seriously. Although I think the more serious aspects of the plot worked better in Dominion (S1) than New Dominion(S2), since they had some of Masamune's Ghost-in-the-Shell-esque philosophy behind it. The animation wasn't very good, to be honest, so I suppose that just goes to show how far TV anime-tion has come since then, and neither was a lot of the voice acting (in the English dub; I couldn't find a subbed version). But despite all that, I liked Tank Police. The tropes are obvious, and the characters aren't exactly 3-dimensional but somehow their presentation just worked for me. The stressed-out chief of the Police was hilarious, the Puma twins had some pretty bad VA's but they were somehow endearing characters to me, and Leona's blend of incompetence with bravery also made her a fine leading role in my eyes. Plus the opening themes for both series were pretty good (80's house for season 1 and 80's metal for season 2).

Overall I wouldn't necessarily recommend this, but it somehow clicked with me.

Next up, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

14. Little Phantomhive

Little Phantomhive Recognised Pony

Haha no way, tank police was the first none pokemon anime I saw as a kid. Found some videos in a charity shop so many years ago, I remember watching it as a kid and having no clue what the hell I was watching only thing I remember is some yelling and a robot tank climbing up an elevator shaft XD

I remember a series called Air tv i watched when I first bought my ps3. At the time I didn't watch many none mainstream anime stuff and at that time i was home alone for a week as my parents had gone away. Watched it all in 1 day and by god was I depressed after, it was such a heart breaker. I nearly wept and it left a deep black hole punched where my heart was for a few days.
    Thats scene at the shrine when it was raining with the toy dinosaur...

[​IMG]

#2154 Little Phantomhive, 17 June 2013
    Last edited: 17 June 2013
  15. LoomX

LoomX Honorary Pony

Well hidden under all the fan-service there is a good storyline but yeah, it is mostly fan-service. And then there's the Drifters of the Dead OVA. 13 minutes of pretty much nothing BUT beach, bikinis and boobs, the staples of anime fan-service. Doesn't really add anything to the overall story at all.

Started watching Waiting In The Summer over the weekend. So far so good. Also had a brief HOTD reference in one scene (they're in a cinema watching it, complete with scenes taken straight from the anime).

16. Nosnibormada

There is a lot of yelling in Tank Police, I must admit. Cool that you saw it as a kid, too. The only anime I ever saw as a kid was Beyblade, and I wonder now how I even sat through a single episode because I watched a bit of an episode recently and it was awful. Anyway, if you liked Air then you might also like Kanon and Clannad since they're both part of the Key/KyoAni "holy trinity" and (apparently) have similar plots (I've only seen Clannad out of those three so I can only tell you what I've heard).

17. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

I do love Leona, she was always a fun character. I saw New Dominion in my teens, so it has such a wonderful nostalgic feel to me :)

Brotherhood is superb BTW.

18. Ecthelion_Yuda

Thus endeth Lucky Star. I have to say, I feel something akin to a sense of loss now that it's finished. It was simply a respite from the real world, something fun to just watch and not have to think about, but now that it's over I wonder what I'm going to do to try and replace it...

Nosnibormada likes this.
  19. Nosnibormada

Yesterday I was in HMV, searching through the DVD section, and on a total whim I decided to buy the film "Ninja Scroll". It was only £5 so I figured, why not? I watched it today, and it is pretty spectacular. The art is really powerful and consistently excellent, and although you can tell the makers used a few short-cuts with the animation it's still pretty good overall. The plot is actually structured more like a videogame than a film (like, some parts would make really good boss battles), but it still has some interesting themes running throughout. It's not a masterpiece (even though it seems to be just as popular as Akira and Ghost in the Shell), but it's certainly a good watch. And also worth £5.

I'm halfway through it right now, and it is indeed awesome.

Tad likes this.
  20. Tad

Tad Comes and goes ...

Just ordered Gusmith Cats Bulletproof. Muchos looking forward to it.
    Also, finished Bodacious Space PIrates. Good, silly fun :)