1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Anime

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by XBPonyA, 14 March 2012.

1. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

Similar story here, although the version I watched was in the afternoons via CITV therefore the American adaptation. Much prefer the original with subbing.

2. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Me too! That was when anime was first starting to air overseas. It's just a shame I can't remember a damn thing about the show apart from that opening for the english dub. Which I think speaks for itself, it's essentially so over the top and so ridiculous that it's entertaining at the same time.

3. Magpie

The American version (Cardcaptors) focused more on the idea of action and you can tell it was aimed at a male audience, this is why at lot of the original content was cut, episodes timings were changed and entire segments were re worded. The original (Cardcaptor Sakura) is a lot more cutesy and contains a lot more controversial subjects for example the crush Li has on Yukito (which doesn't exist in Cardcaptors), I didn't realise how deep some of the changes were until recently.

[​IMG]

4. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

well, Utawarerumono ep 17, as expected...
    that dropped a lot of interesting information in a very short space of time. not all of it was particularly surprising, but it's nice to get some confirmation of some theories and denial of others, along with some interesting backstory of the Utawarerumono world.

given the original's tendency to drop bombshells through significant action events the relatively softly softly of Itsuwari no Kamen caught me off guard a bit... but it worked quite well, even if it was a bit too tell-y rather than show-y.

also the events of next ep and onwards were perfectly clear, even if the next ep weren't titled "Invasion" lol. the Emperor has obviously worked out that Tsukurr's previous ruler was the Iceman and views his body as the only way he might be able to reverse the Curses... oh and there's confirmation of another theory: Oboro is the new ruler of Tsukurr.

it's going to be very interesting to see how the remainder of things go now. given that we now know Haku is effectively just a normal human, albeit strengthened, he's obviously not going to be as vital in the action parts of the end as Hakuoro was. my guess would be he'll be much more of an emotionally important character, both as the brother of the Emperor, but also...

in the fact that Kuon is going to have to make a choice between Tsukurr and Yamato. now THAT could prove very interesting indeed, especially considering i'm yet to see anything that disproves the idea that she's Hakuoro and Yuzuha's daughter, which could mean she has more power than she's letting on (or realises she even has)...

well, it wouldn't be the first time i've been proven completely wrong about this series anyway.

5. Magpie

Utawarerumono Itsuwari no Kamen episode 17... Where to start? :p

I am glad that we now have our background, this seems to be one of the biggest criticisms of this season leaving both new watchers and veterans confused for an extended period of time. Even if this episode was a bit of an info dump and I am going to have to watch it again before I have absorbed all the details, this is what my thoughts are telling me at the moment:
    • With the name of next week's episode 'Invasion' and the tension during that final scene between Oboro (*fangirl that mustache) and Raikou, I think its clear that the next conflict will be Yamato and Tsukurr.
    • The events of Utawarerumono and Itsuwari no Kamen are set in the future and the human race ironically still believe in nuking things (or space lasering in this case) things that they fear or cannot control. This feels like a plot point out of Resident Evil with the curses as the zom zoms. :p
    • Haku and the Yamato Emperor are related to the Ice Man Project, while they might not have been directly on the team we now know the scale of research to get humans living on the surface again. We also know more about the enhancement of human DNA and that Haku was exposed in some form to one such experiment after volunteering for human testing. If we are to believe the Yamato Emperor as a case study, one such change that was discovered was an extended lifespan.
    • The curses are indeed the researchers for the original Utawarerumono.
    • The Yamato Emperor has not given the species a name only 'decoy', I get the feeling there is more to this but I am not sure what. Its strange because while he created beings that resemble his wife and daughter but he still seems to look down on them with comments like 'I realise they are not human'. My gut feeling is that from this point onward he is going to make terrible decisions which damage his reputation as a leader and this is one of the flaws used to get the snowball rolling (the Kuya of this season).
    • The song that Kuon sings at the end of the episode is the same one that Eruru sang to Hakuoro in the original series. Bond between the two is getting stronger?
    All in all I am happy that the direction change (though you will be missed Rurutie's reactions to bathhouse slice of life) is now set in stone and with only 8 episodes left I am going to stop making predictions to avoid crushing my feelings over getting it wrong. :p

Drop bombshells ... or miss out gradual details / the pacing that is introduced when in visual novel form? :p

I like your theory with the arc's direction, although you have to wonder how the Yamato Emperor worked it out considering it was only those who were directly on the Iceman team knew of the wish Haku granted (you dissected my lover ... you want more power then become immortal, however it went)? Ooo, I am really interested in what the interest is with Hakuoro's tomb.

The questions is Iain ... Team Tsukurr or Team Yamato? Who is your Twilight lover?

#5225 Magpie, 31 January 2016
    Last edited: 7 February 2016
  6. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

you're right on with the emperor not seeing the animal-people (for lack of a better term) as human... i was thinking that's going to be the major cause of pain over the rest of the season. if you don't see people as human, well... history tells us what happens. particularly if you're part of a significantly stronger country...

the only thing i can assume regarding how the emperor worked it out is that the original research team knew more than they might have let on, and as he had access to their research he probably found out that way. otherwise it is a major inconsistency, but oh well, ill let some go

team Tsukurr any day of the week. nothing wrong with Yamato, but apart from Haku himself and Rurutie the individual characters just don't stand out to me as much. Karula, Touka, Aruru, Oboro, etc were far better supports than... ive forgotten the rest of the Yamato supporting cast's names. oh, Nekone. but that's only because her name is said so often by other characters.

yknow... random thought. do you remember that bit in the VN, the flashback-within-a-flashback, that seemed to represent how Witsalnamitea (sp? i give up) came about? that weird one where there was no background, just description, and it sounded like an archaeologist unearthed the mask and made a contract with Witsal after getting shot (presumably becoming Iceman/Hakuoro in the process). i wonder if that'll ever be brought up again).

7. Magpie

If memory serves me correctly it is at the end of the VN, Hakuro is confirmed as one of the scientists who discovers Witsuarunemitea's fossil but the greed of the other scientist leads to him getting shot. As Hakuoro is dying the fossil calls out to him offering him power / the chance to live in exchange for becoming its host, he then goes into a deep sleep so that his body can recover. The thing I was never sure about was if Dii was the other scientist or if he was created when Witsuarunemitea's personality split...?

Would be interesting to see more of the stage where Hakuro is discovered in his sleeping state and how exactly the humans started researching him.

8. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

That feeling when you come back from a gamejam and there's a ton of posts about the Utawarerumono you haven't watched yet concealed by 'Spoiler' boxes...

It's the ultimate suffering...

私も話したい!

9. Magpie

Gives you the motivation to do your episode catch ups. :p

10. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

Ima need some pizza and a whooole lot of caffeine tonight

Empress likes this.
  11. Magpie

Its nights like these that I wish the weekend was longer. :(

12. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

really? i can't remember exactly what it was, i thought it was a flashback within a flashback from even further back.

i'm pretty sure Dii was actually a split from Witsu's personality, but i can't remember why i think that haha.
    what, every night? :p

Magpie likes this.
  13. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

OK I watched Utawarerumono now, and the other ones I care about :)

I kinda preferred it before it went all Evangelion on me.

I don't know if this stuff already came up in the original series, but to me I enjoy this purely as a fantasy series. There's no need for a "Oh actually humans are here and they created this world with SCIENCE" story.

14. Magpie

I've only played the first one (because false faces doesn't have an English patch or port) but the majority of it is fantasy before then dropping science fiction on you towards the end. As there is quite a bit of it that is not really explained and then introduced in false faces, I would say that it is better to watch / play the original first for background.

15. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

KONOSUBA SPOILERS

I love Konosuba

Empress likes this.
  16. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

omg why you spoil it like that

i need to watch ydays now

17. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Watching K-On! :)

Britpoint, Pigasus and Bellzor like this.
  18. Pigasus

Pigasus Hogs the bed

Finished Non Non Biyori today, it's a very sweet and relaxing anime [email protected]: I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes Rabbit and similar slice of life shows

Britpoint likes this.
  19. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

+1 to Slice of Life Mastery skill

New skill rank: Slice of Life Acolyte attained!

Pigasus likes this.
  20. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Finished K-On! season 1, it's like a cup of tea and a hug for the brain :)

Britpoint and Bellzor like this.