1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Any recs for basic video editing software?

Discussion in 'Technology & Internets' started by Cendaquenta, 17 September 2017.

1. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

I'm thinking of possibly starting a Youtube channel next year and, as the title says, would like to have some video editing software installed beforehand. Only need to do the bare minimum - make cuts, insert images and text over footage, that kind of thing. Would prefer it to be free.
    I think YT has its own vid editor but I'm not sure how good that is... [Edit: Nevermind, it's apparently being retired by Google anyways.]

#1 Cendaquenta, 17 September 2017
    Last edited: 17 September 2017
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

How about OpenShot? It's free and cross-platform, and I've found it reasonably easy to use for my (very, very basic) video editing needs:

http://www.openshot.org/

3. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Does Windows movie maker still not come on PCs as standard?, thats very basic but easy to use software that should do all you need.

4. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta Honorary Pony

No, that's also been retired, unfortunately.

5. electrokitty

electrokitty Coffee Enthusiast

+1 for OpenShot, although it can be somewhat inefficient for larger projects and difficult to use. I've recently started using DaVinci Resolve which although not open source, is free and cross platform and will do more than enough for basic non-linear video editing.

Something I have used in the past also is Vegas Movie Studio. Whilst not free, it is fairly cheap as far as video editing software goes and did everything I wanted. This is Windows only software though.

6. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

https://www.lwks.com/

It's free, but it does have a learning curve to it, and it seems a bit funny about Shadowplay recordings at times.

7. Loganberry

I'm not sure whether it's the case for you over in the US, but what I see is:

"Get Lightworks v14.0 with a free 7 day trial license"

8. Steamworks

Steamworks Pony

Loganberry likes this.
  9. Loganberry