1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Anyone else here a fan of Avatar: TLA/ LOK?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Myra, 29 June 2014.

1. Myra

Myra Pony

The only series I've ever followed properly apart from My Little Pony is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I started watching it a couple of years ago and got addicted, now having watched it 4 times through. I think the characters are great and it's pretty well made considering it's a kid's show (kind of like MLP). Now I'm following The Legend of Korra, desperately awaiting the 3rd season.

Anyone else here a fan?

(P.S. Toph is best bender :3)

2. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I am! I never could stop watching it as soon as I watched the first couple episodes for season 1 and I was always curious of what was going to happen next in the show. I always looked forward to episodes with Zuko as the main focus because every time I saw him I'd learn something new about him. Oh and did I not mention Zuko is one of my favourites along with Toph and Sokka?

Myra likes this.
  3. Myra

Myra Pony

Aaah, they're my favourite three too! :D I have such difficulty deciding, they're all such great characters!
    It's exciting watching how Aang and Zuko's stories unfold, and how they eventually come together. I love Toph's attitude, and some of Sokka's lines have actually made me cry with laughter.
    Are you watching Legend of Korra? I don't usually say this about sequels but it's even better than the first series (the animation has improved a load and the action is way more intense! Also, as it's set in the future, you get to see Aang and co. as adults which is interesting.)

#3 Myra, 29 June 2014
    Last edited: 29 June 2014
  4. Starscream759

Yes and no on Korra. Yes, I did watch Legend of Korra at some point and I did watch the whole of season 1 just to see what the hubbub was all about. Unfortunately no I'm not watching it anymore because the season 1 finale disappointed and I kinda swore off watching it again. And I did hear things about Korra getting worse as a character in season 2 and stuff like that basically.

5. Myra

Myra Pony

Funnily enough I watched most of season 1 about the time it came out and disapproved of it at the time, then came back to it later and loved it. Then again, that's my odd habit (I did that with MLP, actually).
    It's certainly very different to TLA, it's way more serious and fast-paced but I assume that's because the original fans of Avatar will be 9 years older now.

Question: if you had to be a bender, which would you be? (I'd be an earthbender)

6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

*runs into thread squeeing*
    Me me me me me me me!!! :D

Ahem, sorry for the overenthusiasm there. ATLA is kind of my current new obsession, and I'm at the stage where I get super-excited about anything even slightly related and talk about nothing else, soooo yeah. Only just discovered it a couple of months ago, after watching the Nostalgia Critic review of the live-action movie (which thankfully I've only seen clips of in that context). Bought the Book 1 DVD and binge-watched it - think it only took me about 3 days to finish if that - and did the same with the other two plus Book 1 of Korra. Just finished a rewatch yesterday actually.

Favourite characters are Zuko and Toph, although of course it's pretty hard to single out anyone. Iroh is probably up there too.

Enjoyed LoK, looking forward to the second season DVD coming out. Didn't think it was quite as good as ATLA, but it is enjoyable and it's amazing seeing how the world has changed and grown and hearing about what the Gaang did after the whole saving-the-world dealio. Also the new characters are fabulous (two words: Lin Beifong).

Anyone here read the sequel comics, The Promise and The Search? I've got the compilation volumes and I'd say they're pretty much on par with the show in quality.
    Definitely firebender in my case.

7. Starscream759

I dunno I'm kind of torn on being a Fire Bender or a Water Bender.

8. Myra

Myra Pony

Ah, I remember discovering ATLA for the first time. I noticed that all 3 seasons were on Netflix so I decided I'd give it a try. Needless to say I was hooked after about 5 episodes and, like you, I 'binge-watched' it well into the early morning hours. I love the characters to bits, the show will most certainly always have a place in my heart.
    As for the comics, didn't even know there were any. May have to look into that...

A firebender, eh? I always imagined fire as being the corrupting element (with the fire nation being the villains and all), not sure I'd want to wield that kind of power. It's a good one if you can control it, though.

9. Starscream759

I pretty much started watching Avatar the Last Airbender because I was bored one day, I had heard a lot about the show before seeing the first episode and how the live action movie pretty much sucked in comparison to the actual series. And I was pretty much binge watching at that point so yeah.

10. Myra

Myra Pony

I've only seen a few minutes of the film, I couldn't bring myself to watch the whole thing as I was so attached to the original animation. From what I've seen, it didn't translate very well into live action. The characters are all so expressive there's no way they could portray them properly through actors.

11. Starscream759

I've seen clips of the live action movie and it was pretty bad.

12. Myra

Myra Pony

Yeah... I'm not even going there.

I can kinda see why quite a few TLA fans aren't so keen on LoK. Thinking again about it, I wouldn't necessarily say LoK is better than TLA, I'd say it's as good but in a different way. Whereas TLA is good for it's characters and long-running storyline, LoK is more fast-paced action and flashy animation. Still, Aman is an awesome villain, and I like the 'Equalists' concept (kind of like a 'communist uprising').

13. Starscream759

I'm not gonna lie, Legend of Korra did HAVE potential with what it was trying to do as a premise along with Amon being a legit threatening villain and all but it just came out rushed for me. And I could hardly get invested in what Korra did as an avatar anyway. Maybe it gets better as I watch more of season 2 I don't know I'm not really fussed with it at this point anyway.

14. Myra

Myra Pony

It is rushed quite a bit, I won't deny that, but I'm the type who's easily entertained (by anything animated, anyway).

Also, I really want a giant flying sky bison. Appa is awesome.

15. Starscream759

My favourite moment of the original is defiantly hands down when Sokka's on cactus juice. While the episode is not humorous and it delves with how Aang copes in his avatar state after Appa is stolen and Katara being the leading force in the episode is the sane voice of reason, Sokka provides the comedy in that episode. Which was priceless.

16. Myra

Myra Pony

Sokka AND Momo both on cactus juice was priceless! That's the one with the underground library, right? I love the owl-creature in that episode (his voice was pretty creepy).

My favourite quote of Sokka's (that I can remember) is in the first episode when Aang says to Sokka 'This is Appa, my flying bison' and Sokka replies '...And this is Katara, my flying sister'. Unlike so many characters in other shows that are supposed to be humorous but end up more annoying, Sokka is genuinely hilarious.

17. Starscream759

No no it's a follow up episode to where Appa gets stolen and Aang in a rage tries to find the people who kidnapped the flying bison in the harsh desert. But yeah that episode was quite freaky especially when the owl is chasing after them in the climax.

18. GhostlyJunkbot

GhostlyJunkbot Gibbering Incoherent Rubbish

I wouldn't exactly say I'm a massive fan, but I do greatly admire both Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.

I saw all of the former quite some time ago, then I saw Book 1 of LoK back when it was still fairly new. I only got around to watching Book 2 yesterday, and I ended up finishing all 14 chapters just shortly before typing out this message! (Yep! I was pretty much glued to it the whole way through!) I can honestly say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. :D

I know Book 3 is still in its early days, but I'll hopefully get around to following that soon.

19. Myra

Myra Pony

Which do you think is better, or do you not have a favourite?

20. Britpoint

Britpoint 私、きになります!

Oh! May I join in? I was quite late to The Last Airbender party (I didn't watch it until after Korra came out and I only did so because I'd heard good things about Korra and wanted to know the story) but when I did see it it became one of my favourite shows. I love how the world had such a simple premise: AIR EARTH FIRE WATER THE FIRE PEOPLE ARE BAD but managed to make deep and engaging stories out of it. Such good characters.

Korra hasn't been quite as good but it has had a bit of an identity crisis with the running - originally they thought they were only getting one season for Korra but then they got three more, so book 2 of LoK was a bit lacking, but so far so good on book 3!

Toph is best pony.