1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Anyone remember Robot Wars?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Thorn, 4 April 2013.

1. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I ask because I've been watching through Series 1 on YouTube recently.

It was my absolute favourite show when I was younger and I was rather saddened to see it end (coincidentally after the series got moved from BBC2 over to Channel 5... further proof that nobody cares about Channel 5). It's partially what got me into electronics.

Anyone got any favourite moments they'd like to share?

Patrick Rowberry likes this.
  2. TibbsUK

TibbsUK The pony formerly known as Insomnia

I loved the first series as a kid. My uncle, sadly no longer with us, would sit down with my sister and I and help us 'design' our own robots. We'd always talk about what weapons we'd add and what tactics we'd use. Pure imagination sessions.

Never came to anything of course, but fond memories none the less.

I watched the show again a few months ago and I didn't think it had aged well, I now mainly remember the show for the fun discussions we had with my uncle.

3. blissfully✮oblivious

blissfully✮oblivious Supreme Commander, Cat, My own rule 63, etc.

I remember Robot Wars. Don't think I saw all of it when it was first broadcast though, I was only fairly young at the time and when it went off the air again I sort of forgot about it until it appeared back on Dave earlier last year which got me back into it again. I remember they produced those toys with those pull back wind up motors in them of various robots from the show and I think I had all, or certainly almost all, of them and would inevitably 'battle' them.

4. Sunsetstreamer

Sunsetstreamer Honorary Pony

I loved Robot Wars. We all used to watch it all the time. I even have a load of those toys with the pull back motors still.
    I wonder what became of all of the teams and their robots once the show was stopped. Surely the robots were expensive to build so when the show as stopped what would have become of them?

5. WelshBrony91

WelshBrony91 I'm the only brony in the village

I use to watch Robot Wars when I was a kid. I wish it was still on the air.

BTW D-Vault is a massive fan of Robot Wars. Expected him to be posting in this thread soon.

6. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I think i remember seeing an ad on sci-fi about a new series which is like robot wars, although looking more like giant rock-em sock-em robots.

7. Tibbs

Tibbs cats.

A staple of my childhood, that was. I can only vaguely remember parts of Series 1 & 2, but #3 was when I got really into it. Hypnodisc was (and still is) my all time favourite competitor, whereas the 2nd incarnation of Dead Metal happens to be my favourite house bot.
    So much was I a fan of the show, I even made a robot wars-esque arena map in Garry's Mod, and we'd have contests where people would build robots and battle. Usually ended in hilarity.

8. Rio

Rio I think you're the worst.

Used to watch it as a kid with my brother. I remember two robots in particular that dominated several matches: Razer and Hypno disc. I think one of them tore apart some of the house bots o_O

Man, where can I get me one of those..

9. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I used to like Panic Attack.

I remember there was a controller in one of the teams that my friends and I could never tell was a man or a woman. Pretty much the spiting image of this guy/girl:

10. Tibbs

Tibbs cats.

?
    You mean George, who ran Chaos/Chaos 2?

Rio likes this.
  11. Rio

Rio I think you're the worst.

Haha yeah that's the one! Poor Matilda.. Razer is such a beast :3

12. Bellzor

Bellzor 1% Tea, 99% Hot gas.

Robot Wars. It was a fantastic show. I was a bit of a Behemoth fan myself.

13. hawthornbunny

hawthornbunny Crime Against Fabulosity

I used to enjoy the show (even went to a live recording once!) but at some point during its height, I found myself a little disillusioned by the mindless destruction - specifically the way the house robots are permitted to tear apart a robot after it's been defeated. There's just no need for that. As cool as the house robots were, the show would have been far superior if it was just contestant against contestant.

And then there was Hypno-Disc vs 101.

This was the moment that I started to feel like Robot Wars had become more of a popularity contest than a robot battle. The robots had become so popular that they'd even begun to make toys of them (I was greatly tempted by a toy Razer...). But this battle really made me question the integrity of the show. Hypno-Disc was a huge fan favourite, having wowed everyone with its kinetic flywheel weapon that literally tore robots apart. 101 was a relatively unknown, but very solidly built robot, primarily famed for having cost something like £5 to build.

But for some reason, Hypno-Disc's weapon was absolutely ineffective against 101. And since 101 was quite poorly armed itself, it meant that the robots could do little more than push each other around. This resulted in a long match that eventually hit the time limit and put it to a judge's decision.

Now as much as I liked Hypno-Disc, I remember feeling that overall, 101 had been the superior robot in the fight, but of course, the judges declared Hypno-Disc the winner. I was sure that the only reason they'd done this was to keep a fan favourite in the tournament. To this day I still don't know if my assessment was correct.

You can judge for yourself!

14. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

I loved Robot Wars as a young'un. Dead Metal was my favourite of the House Robots, I thought it was far better than the contestants!

Speaking of the House Robots, I thought they got sillier as time went on. Sir Killalot was cool and all, but was hardly practical to be honest. The Ref Bot was a nice addition, but was unnecessary. I can't even remember the names of the ones past that, but my heart still belongs with the original four of Sgt. Bash, Matilda, Dead Metal and Shunt.

15. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

Ah, you mean Mr. Psycho, Growler and the rather useless Cassius Chrome? My first introduction to those three were actually during live recordings before the series began. In fact, one of those was filmed after they recorded the Grand Final of Series 7 where this voice over dude (it wasn't Jonathon Pierce, he actually did post-commentary for the show) actually told us who won the series. I'd be fine with that if we saw the fight itself but we didn't and it completely derailed any tension I may of had while watching the final.

EDIT: It seems Phillipa Forrester is still getting work:

#15 Thorn, 4 April 2013
    Last edited: 5 April 2013
  16. Sary Scraps

Sary Scraps Not a Pony

Yey, Robot Wars was awesome! I think I still some toys of the house robots somewhere.

17. NuggetBiscuit

NuggetBiscuit The Luna Wolf

Twas all about Hypnodisc, or if he wasn't on, Chaos 2

18. Spy!

Spy! Especially Khaotic Krew Member

yes I do, and caused massive nostalgia moment at work listing off all the house robots to staff at Duxford, showing I have no life :p

19. blissfully✮oblivious

blissfully✮oblivious Supreme Commander, Cat, My own rule 63, etc.

Razer is best robot.

Twisted_Tempest likes this.
  20. Sunsetstreamer

Sunsetstreamer Honorary Pony

It's all about Chaos 2 for me. Second to Chaos 2 are Razer and Hypnodisc, or Behemoth,or Firestorm, or Pussycat... Actually I liked mosf of the robots however Chaos 2 is still top-bot for me.