1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Apogee's art ...

Discussion in 'Art and Drawings' started by Max Apogee, 23 March 2012.

1. Sintakhra

Sintakhra Hammerbutt

Keep up the good work!

Max Apogee likes this.
  2. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Thanks guys :D

For the next few pictures I'm going to do as Flake suggested and concentrate on facial expression and eyes, I have just printed another couple of full pictures though, so I'll get round to those shortly as well ;)
    Yeah, half eyes don't seem to be too much of a problem, it's just that the full eyes are such a weird shape I just can't quite get my heard around copying them properly.

3. FlakeTwist

FlakeTwist Space CQC Master

Hmm...what about tracing the picture, and then drawing your tracing? It helps me, I find I can get the shape a bit better. It takes longer, but if it works then it works!

4. Max Apogee

Yeah, I have thought about that, but I try not to trace if possible (also my sketch paper is quite think and hard to see through) and I tend to draw bigger than the image I'm copying, so the eyes would look quite small compared to the rest of the picture, hehe. I'm sure it's something that'll get better with practice :)

5. Max Apogee

Double posting again, sorry folks ;)

Anyway, I've spent most of the day sketching various ponies heads (instead of doing the various assignments that are due in tomorrow ... One does not simply stop procrastinating!) to work on expressions and eyes. Sort of missing the point as none of them had normal eyes, but anyway. They all gave me issues of some sort; Pinkie's hair was a fraking pain in the flank! I couldn't get the shape of Dash's head right, Fluttershy's eyes gave me issues and Twilight ... Anyway, pictures.

[​IMG]

TallBrony91 and Dusty like this.
  6. FlakeTwist

I can see a huge improvement! I love each one, particularly Fluttershy! What now? More pony heads? Or will you go back to drawing whole ponies now that you've improved the eyes and head in general?

Max Apogee likes this.
  7. Max Apogee

Thanks, I actually thought Pinkie came out best of those ones (despite the issues I had getting her hair right) As for what I'm going to do next, well I have a few other pictures I want to have a go at, starting with this one ...
    [​IMG]
    I'm not terribly happy with this one, there's something about Derpy's head I just can't seem to get it to look right, also I had to do a bit of guess work when it came to her big eye, and her hind legs look a bit hinky ...
    Anyway, once I'm done arguing with those I might carry on concentrating on the heads for a bit, see if I can crack them ... So to speak, hehe ;)

Blaze_Midnight likes this.
  8. FlakeTwist

Maybe there are a couple of flaws in Derpy, but you really don't notice them!!! I can see what you mean about getting the heads sorted, it's easiest to stick with something the flit inbetween loads of stuff.

9. Sintakhra

Sintakhra Hammerbutt

Great Derpy! One of the things which is a bit iffy is her left back leg, it looks awkwardly placed where it joins the body, i'd have thought the line would overlap that of the torso's.

But i could be wrong :) Keep up the good work!

Max Apogee likes this.
  10. Max Apogee

I see what you mean, I've got two more pictures I want to have a go at, after that I definitely think I'll do some more heads see if I can't sort this eye issue out (though with Depry it was more the shape of her head I was having trouble with rather than her eyes, still it's all good practice)

Her legs were something else I was having trouble with, there was no overlap on the picture I was copying from, but it does still look a bit hinky.

Anyway, I have two new ones this evening ...

[​IMG]
    I'm really pleased with how this one turned out, though her main and tail were a fraking pain. I ran out of paper at the bottom so her legs could have been a bit longer, but otherwise I'm really happy with this one.

[​IMG]
    Once again problems with the big eye, it's another one that was quite an awkward shape and I just couldnt get it to look right. I was having trouble with the shape of her face, but I think I sorted that out. Otherwise she's not too bad.

11. Dusty

Dusty Active Pony

Looking good. I esp like the Rarity.
    Spitfire.... I'd say the eyes are too far to the left. The right one esp shouldn't have a gap between the eye and the edge of the head at that angle.

Max Apogee likes this.
  12. TallBrony91

TallBrony91 Well-Known Pony

Dude I got to say i've looked at all your pictures that you've made and they look FANTASTIC!!!!! :D

Really amazing job on your pics man, keep up the great work. :D

Max Apogee likes this.
  13. FlakeTwist

Those have to be your be drawings yet! Great head and eyes, you've really improved!!!

14. Ripp_

Ripp_ Now in Smoky Bacon flavour.

nice rarity, I have heard she is hard.

Max Apogee likes this.
  15. Max Apogee

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. Bro-hoofs all round! :D
    Usually they don't, however the image I was copying from did have a gap for some reason ...

Anyway, I went back to Spitfire this afternoon to see if I could do something with her eyes, I must have redrawn the big one about a dozen times before I got it to where it didn't look terrible. I also moved the little eye right to the side of her face, getting rid of the gap. I'm pretty much happy with her now, I can still see some tweaks that I could have made here and there, but I have a really bad claw cramp now so I think I'll leave it, lol. Because I made such a mess of the paper, with the repeated erasing, I thought I'd also colour her. So here is Spitfire Mk.II, my first colour pony :)
    [​IMG]

Dusty likes this.
  16. FlakeTwist

1. Nice touches to her. Maybe redrawing some your first drawings will help your check your progress.
    2. Those colours really are great, really nice and uniform.
    3. Out of interest, how long did this take? How what about the original?

17. Max Apogee

Many thanks :D I may go back and redraw some of my fist pictures again at some point, see if I can't improve on them a bit.

As for spitfire, the original picture took probably 45minutes to an hour (that's just a rough guess, I wasn't really timing myself) I probably spent about 90 minutes playing around with the eyes to get them to look right, and the colouring took probably another hour, maybe a bit longer.

18. FlakeTwist

Wow, it's not bad for that length of time! With that long spent on the eyes, has the face drawing helped lower it?

19. Max Apogee

You'd have thought, but no. Though I think Spitfire was a special case, I didn't spend nearly that long on Rarity's eyes, Spitfire's big eye especially was just really odd.

20. Dusty

Dusty Active Pony

That looks much better. Whatever you did works.

Max Apogee likes this.