1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Apogee's art ...

Discussion in 'Art and Drawings' started by Max Apogee, 23 March 2012.

1. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

So, after recovering from yesterday's Spitfire induced claw cramp I decided to do another couple of quick sketches.

First was a head shot of Discord, thought it'd make a nice change to draw something that wasn't a pony. I got on fairly well with him, again the eyes could probably have done with a bit more attention, but I don't think it was too bad.
    [​IMG]
    Next up was one I didn't really plan on drawing, it was one I drew as a sort of exercise to see if I could do it. This one a picture of Soarin' in his uniform from the wedding picture. This is the first one I've drawn I didn't use any real reference image for - all of my other pictures have just been copies of other pictures, this one wasn't. I'm actually quite pleased with how he came out, I really do hate his cutie mark though, it's such a pain in the flank to draw, hehe. Also, I could probably do with some practice at drawing closed wings.
    [​IMG]

cleverpony and Dax like this.
  2. Dogezon

Dogezon The undisputed badge king

Your stuffs awesome, keep it up :)

Max Apogee likes this.
  3. FlakeTwist

FlakeTwist Space CQC Master

Two more great pictures!!! The Discord one is very good and you're right, there is nothing like drawing something different. As for Sourin, you can tell that you haven't used a reference picture, but only really because of the proportions of the wing and legs, everything else is brilliant!!!

4. Max Apogee

Thanks again guys :)
    I see what you mean, I knew the wing needed amending (poor Soarin' probably would have got laughed out of flight school with little wings like that, hehe ;)) and the rear leg did look a bit chunky. So I went back to it this morning, redrew the wing and the godsforsaken cutie mark (though I think that looks MUCH better now) and redid the back leg. I also redrew the tail, making it a bit bigger. All things considered I'm really please with the way this one came out, especially as a fortnight ago my attempts at drawing ponies weren't even fit to line one of Twilight's birds nests, lol! Anyway, Soarin' Mk.II
    [​IMG]

Dax likes this.
  5. FlakeTwist

And I thought Mk.I was good, this is great! The cutie mark is definately a fiddly bit, but you've pulled it off in stellar fashion! Top of the flight school class!

6. Max Apogee

Yay, top gun for Soarin'! :D

Okay, time for another couple of sketches (I was going to try an do another couple but Tuesday's claw cramp has come back to haunt me).

Anyway, first up is Fluttershy, first time drawing a whole picture of her. I had a bit of trouble getting the goggles to look right, and the shape of her head just looks a little ... Off. Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with this one .
    [​IMG]
    Next up is another head shot of Pinkie. This one I'm really pleased with, I'm surprised it actually came out of my pencil actually! That having been said I think it could have done with being a smidgeimetre wider. I've decided I really like drawing Pinkie, despite her mad hair, I need to draw more Pinkie Pie, lol!
    [​IMG]

Dax and Dusty like this.
  7. FlakeTwist

I can see how you had difficulty with the goggles, they're like eyes on top of eyes. But you still drew them well. The mane and tail flow suberbly to! As for Pinkie, what can I say? You draw fantastic Pinkies! While the hair and smile are amazing, the eyes have to be the best part! You've improved a lot and I can't wait to see what you draw next.

Max Apogee likes this.
  8. Max Apogee

So, after taking a couple of days off to recover from an epic wrist ache, I thought I'd have a go at a different character. So, thanks to getting out of work early last night (and netflix not playing fair) Princess Luna - definitely need to practice a bit more drawing her (not nearly up to Pinkie Pie's standard), he eyes, again with the eyes, look a bit off. I don't think the rest of her is too bad though.
    [​IMG][/spoiler[

9. FlakeTwist

Not bad at all! The eyes could do with a little work, but they are the hardest part because everyone looks at the eyes. If you had a small issue with the hooves, then few people would notice. It's our nature as human beings to look at the face the most, and the eyes just so happen to command the face. Very good job, particularly the hair and wings!

Max Apogee likes this.
  10. Max Apogee

Normally I don't find half eyes that much of problem, I guess being royalty she was just being awkward, lol!

Anyway, another two for this evening. I decided to have a go at one of the crusaders and so I chose Scootaloo to draw first (as the poor girl doesn't get nearly enough attention) I think I drew the head a bit too big for the rest of her body, so she looks a little uneven. Ive also discovered that I can't seem to get closed mouths to look quite right either.
    [​IMG]
    Next up is another picture of Fluttershy. I'm quite happy with this one, though again the eyes gave me a bit of an issue and I think I made the eyebrows a bit too thick. Otherwise though, I think this one came out quite well :). Also, I decided to colour her ;)
    [​IMG]
    *Squee*

VinylDash, Dax and Dogezon like this.
  11. FlakeTwist

Two great pictures! You're right about Fluttershy, the black around her right eye is just a bit too thick. Otherwise, it's top notch! Yay, a Scootaloo picture! This one is superb, especially the wings. You've ddone really well on those. Maybe her foreleg is a bit funny, but that's my only criticism. More awesome stuff!

Max Apogee likes this.
  12. Max Apogee

Thanks Flake :D. Scoot's leg does look a bit derpy, that one gave me all sorts of issues trying to get look right, lol!

Anyway, it's been a while, but I have a handful of new pictures (these have actually been on my pad for bloody yonks, I just haven't got round scanning them 'till today)

First up is Wonderbolts lieutenant Apogee (otherwise known as me ;)). So this is another one I didn't really use a source to draw from. He looks a bit othe chubby side and his front legs look a bit skinny, but I think he came out well enough.
    [​IMG]
    Next up is Rarity. One of the first ponies I drew was Applejack WOOoooOOOing from "Look Before You Sleep" so I thought I'd draw Rarity to go with her. As usuall, the eyes look all wrong and the mouth gave me a few problems, but otherwise I thi she looks okay.
    [​IMG]
    I drew another Pinkie Pie, this time from "MMMMystery On The Friendship Express". This one isn't my best Pinkie, her facial expression gave me a few problems, and it took me a while to get her hair to look right.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly it's Rainbow Dash from "Applebuck Season" perching on a fence post. Her head look a bit off, bit I think the rest of her doesn't look too bad, I'm even quite pleased with the little bit of her cutie mark you can see.
    [​IMG]

Dax likes this.
  13. Sintakhra

Sintakhra Hammerbutt

Looks good!
    Although the second image isn't showing.

14. Max Apogee

Are they all working now? I derped a bit on Pinkie's spoiler tag, but they all seem to be working now (on my end at least ;))

15. Sintakhra

Sintakhra Hammerbutt

It works now! And they're all fantastic :)

Dax and Max Apogee like this.
  16. FlakeTwist

Each one looks amazing! I'd have to agree with you on your Apogee picture, but the rest is superb. Rarity's hair is great and once again I agree with you on the eyes. That Pinkie is awesome! The effort you've put into her expression really shows. Rainbow Dash looks great too! Maybe her front leg is a bit off, but that's nit picking. In short, these are all excellent drawings and you know what has to be improved. Great work!

Max Apogee likes this.
  17. Max Apogee

Thanks guys :D

So it's been fat too long since I picked up my pencil, and I kinda' miss drawing Pinkie Pie, so I thought I'd do a quick sketch this evening. I was watching A Canterlot Wedding Pt.2 and thought the changeling Pinkie looked cool so I decided to draw her.

I'm quite pleased with this one, not my best Pinkie, again the eyes don't look quite right, but I'm happy :)
    [​IMG]

Dax and Dogezon like this.
  18. Blaze_Midnight

Blaze_Midnight Isn't it great to be different?

Her eyes look fine to me.. good job keep it up :)

19. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

You're doing great :D

20. FlakeTwist

That Pinkie is really great! I can see how the eyes are ever so slightly odd, but thats with a fair bit of looking. Just blame it on it being a changling. Keep up the great work, I'm looking forward to your next drawing.