1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Article 13.

Discussion in 'In The News' started by sean retro, 15 June 2018.

1. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Intriguing phrase in that BBC article, assuming it's accurate: "Article 13 does not include cloud storage services". The lack of technical feasibility doesn't usually stop politicians, so I wonder why that was left out? Have they been discussing this so long that cloud storage wasn't really a thing when they started?

2. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

I hadn't even noticed that till you pointed it out. The obvious answer would be the logical because chromeOS exists purely in the cloud and also people need to backup their virtually purchased stuff somewhere.

However, as you say, that doesn't normally stop politicians.

It's like what I was just reading on AO3 - There may be an exemption for stuff like Memes and Parody now but how do they get excluded if websites have to scan everything the minute it is uploaded? https://archiveofourown.org/admin_posts/12407

As to all the supposedly excluded stuff listed in that quote on the BBC article (the bit after the cloud storage exemption) - To me it's still as clear as mud as to where fan fiction and fan art stands. I suppose fan art could come under caraciture - especially if drawing live action as cartoon? But I'm not sure all fanfic falls under parody or pastiche.

And anyway, as AO3 implies: All of that would be moot if sites start using Youtube style algorithms that can't always tell the difference between something that should be allowed and something that shouldn't.

As I said on another site about this: I'm still not sure just how exactly Article 13 will effect things, but as a fanfic writer, fanartist, and youtuber I am at the least a little concerned.

What I do find rather odd is the amount of UK MEPs who turned up and voted for this (UKIP of all people posted a list on their twitter cos apparently they're against this law) even though at the moment we will have left the EU way before this becomes law (doesn't the BBC article quote 2 years or something?).

But then again, having just read this, it seems our Government want it anyway:-

I really don't know what to think with where this is going. I would be a lot less confused at the very least if this hadn't passed!

I'm currently thinking about buying a new graphics tablet but if I can't share my fan art (even if it is poor fan art) with friends online that would be irritating at the very least. (On the other hand, maybe it would encourage me to try and draw original stuff instead lol)

Parthidens likes this.
  3. sten whik

sten whik Space

I've heard that the vote may have been written confusingly resulting in 12 MEPs voting wrong. Simply put to stop Article13 they actually needed to vote yes to amend it and no to pass it. 10 chose yes when they meant no.

4. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

That sounds nuts. However having just done some google searching I did indeed come across this: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...an-european-copyright-law-may-not-have-passed

One of the quotes in that seems to imply the voting order was changed?

5. sten whik

sten whik Space

That article also says those ten chose no when they meant yes meaning the articles wouldn't have even passed. Maybe there's some general confusion how this vote worked from the media as well.

6. Recurrent Trotting

nice to hear of a non-UK Parliament screwing things up for a change :p