1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

B.U.C.K. needs your help!

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Saturn, 14 February 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saturn

Saturn Delightfully yellow

You! Yes, you! The one sitting at the computer daydreaming about hugging Fluttershy! We need your help!

As you may have read elsewhere on this site, B.U.C.K. -- The BronyUK Convention -- is in the planning stage to host an awesome brony event in Manchester. There is a lot to organise, and we need more people on our committee to help. It is my pleasure to announce that we are now accepting applications for the following positions on our committee:

Treasurer - Responsible for the financial administration of the organisation and its events, and the management of the organisation's accounts. Also in charge of the budget for events (including tasks such as setting ticket prices).

Logistics & Floor Manager - Responsible for event scheduling, managing the physical running and logistics of events, purchasing equipment, organising insurance, etc.

Security & Health and Safety Manager - Responsible for managing/organising door and event security, first aid (first aid certificate may be necessary), health and safety management (risk assessment, etc.).

Accommodation Manager - Responsible for management and organisation of accommodation, also acts as the organisation's venue liaison.

If you would like to apply for any of these positions please send an e-mail to [email protected]. Please bear in mind when you apply that there will be a lot of work involved in each of these positions, and a lot of dedication and hard work will be required, not to mention a not insignificant time commitment. Only apply if you believe you can handle the amount of work involved!

Applications for committee positions are now closed. Thank you to everypony who applied! We are currently making our selections, and contacting people who we would like to bring onto our team.

Love and hugs,
    Saturn

2. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

No spaces for Announcer or Party Pony? This makes me a sad Emerald ;_;

Seriously, I have a good Royal Canterlot Voice. Ask everyone else!

3. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

Would you be able to list off what management of these things would entail? Kinda vague as it stands.

4. UndeadTaz

UndeadTaz New Pony

What about if I'm day dreaming about hugging Luna, do I still count?
    Also I don't believe I could shoulder these tasks, due to college work/being relatively young, but if you need help for physical labor before the event/on the day I'll be on the next train there ^_^

5. Sonicrainboom_BOOM

Sonicrainboom_BOOM ARCHBISHOP OF BANTERBURY

Manchester is awkward to get to for me but If I can then I swear I will be there :p

6. Sarah

Sarah Pony

So sad that I don''t have time to be a part of this :(

7. Saturn

Hey all, I thought I'd be lazy and repost some information I typed up on Facebook regarding B.U.C.K. Here it is, a section regarding the job descriptions highlighted.

8. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

WOAH WOAH WOAH STOP EVERYTHING.

Planning for 150 people? Are you loco in the coco? What started as a medium sized pub meet eventually exploded into a 90 person meet! Considering this site along has nearly TWO times what you're planning, you should be expecting a massive turnout, especially since this is a con and not a meet! Take it from a man who was there to watch the pub meet slowly expand into one of the craziest das ever!

Anyway, I'm not too sure I want to sign up for one of these roles unless I'd know exactly what I'm getting myself into; would be a pretty dumb thing to do, eh? Maybe if you have more info up closer to the event I'll lend a hoof!

9. Nighson

Nighson Pony

Think of a UK version of Brony Con, but less formal and smaller.

Just like the difference between to the Oscars and the Golden Globes. With the Oscars being a formal, straight rowed seats event with little to no entertainment in a large theater venue. The informal Golden Globes with the semi formal attire, guests around small tables grouped together with Ricky Gervais roasting the entire audience for most of the evening as well as a smaller venue.

Even with this in mind the event will most likely go over capacity and you should have fail safes in-place if it does go beyond what the maximum capacity is, like extra chairs or a pub(lic house) near by that you can go too.

10. rotation

rotation Slower than Fernando

I agree with this. You may not have a lot of confirmed attendees yet, but that's because you don't have a definite plan. Once details (and more importantly, dates) start to form, you'll get a lot more interest.

If you can, look at the BroNYcon September write-up. The June 2011 one had 90 people, so the September one may be closer to the attendance in Machester. I can't remember off the top of my head how many they had.

11. Saturn

The way I see it, it's better to have 150 tickets to sell, and have them all sold but have to turn away another 150 people, than to plan an event with the assumption that 300 tickets will sold, but have half left unsold. That is, it's better to plan an event that has a reasonable chance of filling to capacity, than to spend extra resources on capacity that you don't know whether you can fill or not. A fill to capacity is a success, and the next event can be bigger. A fill to half-capacity is a failure, and resources are wasted on unfilled capacity.

Again, this is something that is still open to discussion, so I welcome your collective inputs.

Well, we haven't even started selling tickets yet, and you won't be able to get in without one, unlike a pub meet. We can fill to a predefined capacity, but it's virtually impossible to go over it for a ticketed event, if there are no f[yay]k ups.

12. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

That was one of our most significant conclusions from the pub event. For larger meets, you'd make it a pre-booked thing, and if you want a larger venue, would have to charge anywhere in the realm of £2-5 per entry. Assuming you had, say, 200 people , you've just raised anywhere from £400 to £1,000 to book yourself a potentially very, very decent venue for that amount of people.

From what I can see, there are two or three types of events:
    • Free-for-All (Open) Meets.
    • Booked Venue Meets.
    • Pre-Organised Conventions.
    Our most recent London Pub Meet was probably in the middle of that scale, but it told us a lot about demand, appropriateness of venue type and size (minors and people with access considerations), and the kind of activities that people expect. What surprised us slightly was that a few people expected a timetable, as if they wanted to be told what to do. Equally, though, you want open spaces for people to hold their own activities - to show-off art and "auction-off" bits and bobs. You don't want to be flying a red flag, as it were.

Denegoth likes this.
  13. Saturn

This is pretty much exactly what we're aiming for. Scheduled events, but also places for people to be able to do their own thing. That said, we're thinking merch/art tables will have to be pre-booked rather than "turn up on the day and sell stuff". This makes organisation a lot easier and can let us do a baseline amount of filtering of the kind of stuff that's sold (for example, no clop). That raises another point actually: did you have a lower bound on the age of people at your meet-up? You were in a pub, so I'm guessing you didn't let anyone in under 18. We were discussing making this event over-16s only (oh, the irony), and are looking into the legalities surrounding this issue.

14. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

My input: I think we're going to need a bigger boat

You would be wrong.

15. Saturn

I'll bring it up when I talk to the other organisers on Skype tonight. What age was the youngest you had at your meet?

16. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

I believe 13, but I might be wrong.

17. Photocopier

I believe that at least 300 people would be a better number to aim for than 150, if you want people to be selling merch etc. 150 people aren't likely to buy a significant amount.
    Have you started to work on any sort of template for running a booth yet btw? I understand that you are in an early stage but it would be nice to know a rough guess at how much it would cost to run a booth and how many spaces will be available.

18. Alteran

Alteran Scissors + Running = Ouch

You would be surprised how much stuff just a group of 90 people was able to achieve. As for stalls, though, you have a point. If you're actually set on selling merchandise, then you're going to need to do it somewhere like MCM, where there are hundreds upon hundreds of people to see your merchandise.

19. Saturn

500 thread views, and I've only received 2 e-mails. Come on bronies, where are all of you who said you wanted to help out in the other thread?

20. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

My help would be on the table if I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, bro! Don't wanna take a role in this then mess it up for you because it turns out I need to do something I'm incapable of. That'd just be silly :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.