1. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Books books books!

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by Loganberry, 20 March 2013.

1. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The US looks nicer the UK one just looks like a generic tie in.

2. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

I saw the UK cover attached to the magazine in the supermarket today and when I saw it the plastic bag they keep the magazine in was obscuring half the cover so I couldn't even see that Discord was on the cover. I'm glad he at least gets to be on it, but still, this really isn't terribly good at all. Orchard really do seem to think that the MLP books can't be anything other than disposable rubbish. The US cover wasn't a work of art but at least they put the title character front and centre and didn't dumb down the title (grumble, grumble....)

Robshi and DerpyWhooves like this.
  3. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

The US cover is much better. It actually looks like the book is about him, rather than "oops, better put him on the cover somewhere".

Out of interest, how big are the standees that came with older books?

4. Cendaquenta

They're just a little bit smaller than the book itself.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Honorary Pony

Well, I have the hardback of Canterlot-Tell-All and the Twilight Sleepover book now.

6. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

7. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

Moar books: http://www.mlpmerch.com/2016/06/new-mlp-books-announced-for-2016-2017.html

Of not insignificant interest is this:

Spelling derp aside, this looks like Hasbro are again acknowledging that there are adult fans who aren't necessarily parents.

8. Cendaquenta

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. DerpyWhooves

That does interest me too. I like that they're using better quality paper to stop the ink bleeding through. I prefer ink to coloured pencil (even though I do have a pencil called Loganberry. I didn't name it, Derwent did!) for the stronger colours, so it's good to know they've considered how people may use the product and are making it decent quality. Good to see them considering the adult fans too, and thinking about what sort of product we might like. Okay, so they already do kids' MLP colouring books and adult colouring books are popular, so it's not such a huge jump but I like that they're doing it anyway.

10. DerpyWhooves

I just found this in the MLP magazine - could it be the cover of the aforementioned colouring book?

ColouringBookWin500px.jpg

Interesting to see, because the Amazon listing doesn't have an image yet.

If it is that one though, it seems odd to have a competition to win something that isn't out til April.

#470 DerpyWhooves, 19 June 2016
    Last edited: 19 June 2016
  11. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

No, that's a different book published in the UK by Orchard books that just came out this week, listed here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Colouring-Book-Little-Pony/dp/1408342936

[​IMG]

I saw it yesterday in Sainsbury's for £3.50 and wondered if it was The Adult Colouring Book, but it isn't. It doesn't feel like a "kiddy" colouring book though. It's got very intricate designs like these ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's only 64 pages long though. The adult colouring book published next year in the US by Studio Fun International advertises 92 images, so will be a completely different design. Interestingly the US Amazon doesn't list the Orchard colouring book and the UK Amazon doesn't list the Studio Fun one, so it may be a case of different companies holding the licenses to produce colouring books in different territories.

Oh, and one more thing:

On the basis of this book I am very happy to retract that statement!

#471 CuldeeFell, 19 June 2016
    Last edited: 19 June 2016
    DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. DerpyWhooves

Oh right, thanks! I didn't know we had a different one over here already. That one does look pretty. I find the swirls on the second image funny because I add swirls to everything when I draw :D

13. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I have a Derwent pencil named after me? Truly, this is the pinnacle of my lifetime's achievements! :D

That Creative Colouring Book looks really pretty good value at £3.50, I must say. And to echo @CuldeeFell , it certainly is nice to see Orchard making more of an effort after their generally rather poor edits on the G. M. Berrow chapter books. If they can bring out more stuff like the CCB then I'll certainly be interested. :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  14. CuldeeFell

CuldeeFell Ponies Rock

Neither did I before I saw it! I had to look it up to see if it was the one Equestria Daily had mentioned or not.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  15. Oilyvalves

Oilyvalves Railway Pony

Received my copy of the Wonderbolts Academy Handbook today. I haven't read it through yet, but a mini review of the book itself:

It's the same height and width as Elements of Harmony and Journal of the Two Sisters, but is the thinnest of the three. This is partly due to it using the same thin paper as Two Sisters. Unlike the 2 earlier books though, the dust cover that comes with this one actually looks quite stylish, rather than just screaming 'My Little Pony' at you.

Taking that cover off, the main cover sports (possibly) an interesting little addition:

There's a selfie photograph taken by Dash 'paper clipped' onto the book, with Dash in her full Wonderbolts garb, Spitfire in her academy drill-sergeant gear, and.. Lightning Dust! :D

#475 Oilyvalves, 11 July 2016
    Last edited: 11 July 2016
    Loganberry and DerpyWhooves like this.
  16. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

My two[*] copies of the Wonderbolts Academy Handbook turned up today - only had a quick glance through, but initial impressions are good. It'll sit nicely with my copies of Two Sisters and Elements Of Harmony (apropos of which, I think we're long overdue for an updated EoH-type book)

[*] - one for me, one as the prize for the August flashfic competition.

17. Loganberry

DerpyWhooves, Mane25 and F.I.N.E. like this.
  18. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Interesting, it would be good to expand the EQG canon a bit, and hopefully this is an indication that the EQG universe will continue some more after the next film.

I don't really see Luna and Celestia as major characters in EQG though (maybe that's just my perception); but it would be good if there were plenty of direct references/parallels to Journal of the Two Sisters in this.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  19. Loganberry

One or two things regarding the G. M. Berrow books:

1) The repeatedly delayed Trixie book is currently listed for a 7 March release (US edition), under the title Trixie and the Razzle Dazzle Ruse.

2) Orchard's UK versions continue to irritate. Lyra and Bon Bon and the Mares from S.M.I.L.E. will become the far more boringly-titled Lyra and the Secret Agent Ponies.

As always, my advice remains to buy the original American editions if at all possible! Book Depository is a good bet if you don't have Amazon Prime membership, since BD has free p&p even on small purchases.

CuldeeFell and DerpyWhooves like this.
  20. Loganberry

Next on "Annoying Retitles of Chapter Books", there's Starlight Glimmer and the Secret Suite. In their apparently infinite wisdom, Orchard have decided to retitle the forthcoming UK edition (pub 6 Oct 2017) as...

Starlight Glimmer and the Magical Secret

I think that may be the dullest, most unimaginative one yet. You can get the already-published US edition on Book Depository, and there really is no reason whatsoever not to. Apart from anything else, it's actually cheaper! (Don't worry about the lack of a cover pic. It definitely exists.)