1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Brexish White Paper

Discussion in 'In The News' started by Recurrent Trotting, 18 July 2018.

1. Recurrent Trotting

https://news.sky.com/story/what-you-need-to-know-from-the-brexit-white-paper-11434453
    Unfortunately this White Paper seems to be going down in flames. For myself, having hummed and harred about another referendum and generally thinking it was a bad idea, I now actually favour that idea. The rationale is that the referendum said "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?" and did not say "Should the United Kingom remain in partnership with the European Union or temporarily abandon that partnership (ie a no-deal scenario)" Given that that is now what is probably going to happen I think the country should clarify its intentions, since this is only happening because most of us thought that forcing the government to leave the EU was a good thing.

Justin Greening
    thinks so too, but No 10 disagrees

I disagree about the relative levels of uncertainty and risk - a referendum would create a risk of prolonging the huge amount of uncertainty created by rethinking our entire relationship with Europe over a short space of time, but it would at least create the possibility of returning to the existing relationship with the EU which would return us to certainty in one fell swoop, or alternatively bind a frisky Parliament to one clear Brexit deal which at least removes the uncertainty occasioned by that deal falling through (as seems likely) and decrease the chance of an a no-deal which is utterly unpredictable