1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Bronies of Cumbria & Furness

Discussion in 'Proposed Events and Requests' started by Cloudane, 15 May 2014.

1. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Nay, @Cloudane and I have met up a couple of times as we're not too far from each other. I guess we just wouldn't know where to start :S but yeah am still interested in this and wasn't a new bypass built to Carlisle (could be wrong) but last time I went it didn't seem to take long.

2. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

There was one meet between the three of us back in September 2013; Librase, Looneyllama and myself. My conclusion was that a bigger group of people should justify all the things we could do here, like hounding the shops for pony merchandise and scaling the castle.

Breweries come and go, @Cloudane. A big one here is now student digs but one in my old village has just sprung up. Luckily, Carlisle has a roaring trade for IPAs and new brew to try for a boozy gathering, which without a doubt would make it an 18+ meet. A lot of gourmet bars here with a local festival on 3th-5th November. Milder to-dos include Laserquest, bowling and castle scaling.

Northen line is good for transport, so for the guys between us there would be no longer than 2-3 hours to travel to Carlisle, right?

MCtoastie and Cloudane like this.
  3. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I was alluding to a phrase that can't be properly repeated here relating to organising "things" in breweries, which means having very poor organisational skills... not actually suggesting we meet in one :p

The train is ok-ish, it's about 2 hours and £30-60 depending on times. The main thing is it'd have to be either a daytime event, drive-and-stay-sober event, or overnight at a hotel - the last train back even on a Friday is a rather pitiful 21:35 :p

4. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

From Ulverston/Barrow? I think it can be cheaper to split tickets at Lancaster and use the advance fares available between there and Carlisle. Of course the really cheapest way to do it as you probably know is the coastal Northern Rail line. But that takes a long time and is infrequent. (I've been to Ulverston once, getting there one method and back the other.)

That's a bit of a shame, although if I made it to Carlisle it's unlikely I would stay much later than that. I would suggest it's most economical to start early and finish while it's not too late. A few weeks ago at the CCG tournament in Newcastle, a few of us went to BrewDog afterwards which was still enjoyable even though I had to leave at 19:45.

5. Cloudane

Well I imagine there's a very pony-style "you don't have to be boozing all night to have fun with friends" kind of point anyway :p

I was assuming National Rail shows all the various methods, but it probably doesn't. Ticket cost isn't the be all and end all, it's still a lot cheaper than going to a con.

6. Silver Broom

It doesn't, not by default anyway. Split tickets require you to search for each part as separate transactions. Slower but cheaper routes don't appear unless they are direct trains, or unless you specifically include the appropriate 'via' station in the query (Barrow-in-Furness, in this case).

7. Silver Broom

8. Cloudane

Need to do some shopping at some point so it's kind of tempting to coincide with it. Main issue is it'd probably mean I don't actually get any shopping done :p

9. ponePete

ponePete Habitual Pony

I know it's too early and too festive to consider future meets this side of the new year, but is there any progress on such a thing in Cumbria? I am intrigued :)

10. MCtoastie

Not as far as I know atm, would love to meet more of you like we just don't know what to do :p

11. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus The Girl With The Most Cake

Lancaster pegasister here! its been ages since I even watched an episode or went to a meet but i'd be up for going to a small meet up :)

MCtoastie and ponePete like this.
  12. Cloudane

Bumppppp (hey you never know)

2 of us in for the MLP Movie at Barrow Vue at 4pm on Friday :)

MCtoastie likes this.
  13. MCtoastie

you never know :)

14. Lydiasaurus

Lydiasaurus The Girl With The Most Cake

I'm an introvert and also not much money so I'll just watch it online