1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Discussion Bronybase

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Recurrent Trotting, 15 December 2012.

1. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

Hey guys :3 is it ok to talk about the RP style in here? Me and Fawlkes are from a very establishedd forum (linked in my sig) which rps.. a lil differently to here. If you check it out, we have a bit for each area and keep an eye on where the mane 6 and bground ponies would be, so that they have a role. You are all of course welcome to field a pony there :3 our ponyville needs ponies! but the reason I mention it here is because now UKofE has its own subforum for RP then maybe there is a possibility that we could create a little RP like that, and see if ponies liked it. Say a subforum with a few basic areas, which ponies can then wonder in and out of. Rather than lots of different continuous stories in one thread. I'm sure Fawlkes will come along to talk more about it :3 Obviously that would run alongside the established storylines you've got going, but I suppose the ponies that moved around that ponyville would be on their own timelines.

WHAT SAY YOU :3

2. Rizae

Rizae Rainbow Swag

Thanks for the suggestion.

The way things are done here however, is instead of having labelled sections to post in there are prefixes for threads that detail the location - currently Ponyville, Canterlot, Cloudsdale, Everfree Forest, and "Other". These prefixes show where the roleplay takes place, and all the individual threads with the same prefix are stories of their own within that location. This allows for multiple interactions between ponies without things becoming cluttered within one location, which a single location thread would involve. If there is/are a specific scenario/s you'd like to begin, do create as many threads as you like and make use of the prefixes to show the location, and if they aren't sufficient then feel free to suggest more.

Recurrent Trotting likes this.
  3. Recurrent Trotting

thanks for the clarification rizae :3

it'll take a bit of getting used to but I'll give my pear her best shot!

4. Fawlkes

Fawlkes Infiltrator from elsewhere

What ABM means is that over on the other forum, our set up is like this:

Ponyville (Sub-forum) Threads:

• Town Square
    • Library
    • Boutique
    • Sweet Apple Acres
    • Town Hall
    etc...

And the same goes for Canterlot, Cloudsdale, The Everfree Forest and the like. Meaning that you don't have thirty ponies in one place trying to talk over each other, but instead have a flowing, natural world where ponies can travel between locations, know where each other are and interact within these locations, without having a lot of disjointed stories.

5. Recurrent Trotting

if we just had one bit of subforum where we could try that... we'd be very grateful. You could try it for yourselves :3

6. Rizae

Rizae Rainbow Swag

Yes I'm aware of the way your system works and what was meant.
    The worlds are actually quite similar: Here the threads are split up into stories beginning with an initial narrative, which forms a starting point for roleplay to happen from; and with the system you describe the locations form the base and any roleplaying and stories develop afterwards. It's similar, just here it's split into more specific series of events within locations instead of further splitting the locations themselves. These events can either be self-contained, or referenced within and effect other threads.
    As I said, the first/third person issue will be up for discussion among mods some time soon, but an overhaul of the entire system is another matter. I do, however, encourage anyone who is interested in this style to take a look at your site - people can try it there and see what they think.

Thanks for the feedback either way guys, given us some interesting points to consider.

Blaze_Midnight and KestrelElk like this.
  7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

Hi there! Just thought I'd address the idea you've proposed.

When we were creating the RP section, locations was bough up regularly, and we did have quite a few heated debates on the best idea for this forum, we eventually came down to the system we have right now, but the system you've proposed was brought up. Here's two reasons we decided against it.

1. Flexibility
    If you have a section or prefix for every location, Murphy's law is gonna have the situation where there's not a prefix house for Carrot top's farm. And they'll use the Other tag, and eventually that section will be used so much the other locations will be empty! Waste or server space and time from a technical standpoint.

2. Traveling
    No offence if this is your method of RP, but a sixteen page RP set in Zecora's hut will consist of 90% talking, why? Because it's not like you can leave without breaking the location! Onze you're left that building the area's changed so it's obsolete and incorrect. Which means renaming and moving the thread or starting a new one.

I prefer to think of each thread in this section to be, a Story, like Sonic Rainboom or The Last Round-up rather than a thread for a location. We've got the Hearth's warming eve thread going on right now and we've got the 'Before the Tryout's' thread aswell, they're both independent of each others, parallel universes if needs be.

Antadurunnu and KestrelElk like this.
  8. Fawlkes

A fair point, except;

1. Flexibility: We have that and it works absolutely fine, with a thread being added when need be. But, you find that players stick to recognised locations more. So the Treehouse and Sugarcube would be used far more than a house.

2. Travelling; I take offence to the assumption. Travelling merges seamlessly, with the GM guiding the player between areas. As for a thread consisting of nothing but talking? Do the characters stand still, doing nothing but talk? No. You move around and interact with items and objects. Is the Hearth's Warming thread not a perfect example of this fact?

9. KestrelElk

KestrelElk Mess with Applejack and I'll mess with you ¬_¬

The thing is it never gets confusing, Currently in the games I'm in I am well aware of which pony is where, and who they are interacting with, because I read the posts. The description helps to make sure this happens smoothly, also a lot of us converse outside of the thread itself to make sure we aren't going to overlap, or to overcome an issue.

As for the separate locations, separate threads, what happens if two ponies want to stay in the same story but go outside for a walk? or some peace and quiet? They have to move thread and now no one in the original thread has any idea what they are up to, unless of course the seek out the posts in the "outside" thread.
    I can only see this breaking up a story.

Perhaps, but Rumulus at one point left the venue to go gather supplies, would this have meant I don't post those actions there, and instead go to a different thread?

10. Recurrent Trotting

Ok I think I'm getting it more.. so the initial description in the thread provides the mane GM directions sort of thing. It gives the location and the mane event going on in the thread. What I'm struggling with manely now is how much description of what is going on in the area beyond those initial directions is permitted. I'm now very used to unassumptive roleplaying, where I just described what my character does, and my GM (often ole Fawlkes up there) does the rest. But from what I've read I think you have each individual contributing much more to the story than that.

11. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

That's right! We try and show a more open ended Roleplay experience rather than having a system where the story is driven by one, they both work but we personally feel our system fits better for the site as a whole.

12. Gemannihilator

Gemannihilator Nando's Aficionando

It's more like a story where the characters are improvising as they go along, rather than following a kinda path set by a writer.

13. Fawlkes

So, not a roleplaying system, but rather an interactive Fanfic writer?

14. Rizae

Rizae Rainbow Swag

That's right. The thread "sets up the scene", as it were, and from then on out ponies can react to that, jump in when they want and roleplay. They can even introduce new plot elements if they wish, as long as it's not too out there. This system doesn't have a main GM as such, ponies are free to write out parts of their contribution to the story and dictate how they help to handle things and advance it.

Example: the "Before the Tryouts" thread. I created it and essentially established the location, but other players were the ones who created the exact events and advanced things on, offering the basis for the roleplay. Had no idea it'd end up with a giant silvery flood, but that's part of the fun this system allows for! It may seem limiting at first, but in execution it's extremely open for ponies to play around with and do as they wish.

Antadurunnu likes this.
  15. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

No, it's Roleplay. because you're playing a character. It just creates a story in a different way to your typical DnD fashion.

Prismatic Flux likes this.
  16. Fawlkes

It's not a roleplay though. A roleplay needs guidance. If a matter arises and something happens, who referees it? You put it into the hooves of the players? And then if they cannot come to an agreement, what then?

17. KestrelElk

KestrelElk Mess with Applejack and I'll mess with you ¬_¬

Any D&D/RiM game or otherwise is essentially the telling of a story, it could be said that for any game it was creating the basis of a FanFic.
    Even in Skype games where we speak and do have a GM, he has said "Ok, so you're in this town, what are you going to do" and sometimes go off on a great tangent before the actual story kicks in.

In the forums though, so far there is no main stories lead by a GM, they are mostly written by the characters,
    Although I have hijacked the "Before the Tryouts" thread in hopes of leading a story of sorts, I will still give people the same freedom, just I have ideas in mind of where to take it next.
    Just as I believe Blaze does with the Hearths Warming thread.

I'm sorry, I have to stop this, you are speaking as if this section of the forum is in trouble, there are currently games with over 1,000 posts, some in the hundreds, you currently have a set-up you are happy with on your own site, if the way things are done here is not to your liking, then just don't play.

18. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

If you can find me an example of this occurring then I'll bow and leave, but every time and issue has occurred that I've seen ponies here have divided themselves into groups and split up. The roleplay isn't effected that badly, since you're in it and know what's going on.

This is very true, the players lead the story in their own way, and before you call such an idea flawed because of potential and large scale redirecting of threads, we have rules that help prevent such occurences.

19. Fawlkes

Can you point me in the direction of one of the issues you've come across and tell me how it was resolved, so I'm not trawling through pages of posts, please?

20. Rizae

Rizae Rainbow Swag

A roleplay requires you to play a role. That is what occurs here, just in a way structured differently to what you are accustomed to. Disagreements don't occur and GMs aren't required because the stories are a collaborative effort that everyone helps to create.