1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Discussion Bronybase

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Recurrent Trotting, 15 December 2012.

1. Fawlkes

Fawlkes Infiltrator from elsewhere

So, you admit then, that you are writing collaborative stories, and not in fact RP-ing? You can't play a role when you are writing the story for yourself, as then you make the situation suit what your character wants to do.

2. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

So what's a Gm doing then? bar writing a story and moving his puppets along a linear path? It's still story writing no matter how you look at it. Is it Rp through? Let's have a look at the definition of Rp;

Either way, our system is in place and it probably isn't going to change. If you prefer a DnD style of Roleplay you can participate in one of the many Skype groups that exist that follow the RiM ruleset :)

3. Fawlkes

It's not a D&D style roleplay though, that's what you're not understanding. The ponies are free to do what they wish, but the GM provides the background ponies, the NPCs and even the Mane Six and other celebrities.

And I really didn't appreciate the patronising use of quoting the dictionary at me, that was just a step too far.

4. KestrelElk

KestrelElk Mess with Applejack and I'll mess with you ¬_¬

We don't need "celebrities" this forum has a great range of original characters, if anything, the addition of the Mane 6 is what makes it a FanFic.

5. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

it doesn't have to matter if it's defined more as a character playing a role within someone else's story, or a character playing a role within a story contributed to by all equally. I tend to side with fawlkes that the more you describe the events together, the more it becomes like a fanfic - afterall the characters in a novel are just a series of different roles being played out in relation to events :D but in your rp manely people do focus on their characters, so even if it is not a pure rp it is definitely more an rp than a fanfic

ofc I don't mind collaborative fanficing :3 and I do like your characters

6. Fawlkes

So... Your characters live in Ponyville, but will never meet any of the dozens of well known and recognisable characters? Do characters not visit Sugarcube for a cupcake, or borrow a book from Twilight's Library?

7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

Which tends the question why are we having such a long discussion on it :p

Tis all personal opinion, when I look at your Gm style of roleplaying and the style we run on the site here I see no difference bar who directs the flow of the story.

8. KestrelElk

I never said that, in the Skype group I've had run ins with many of the show characters and visited Sugarcube corner multiple times, there is nothing to say this can't or hasn't already happened here on the forum. What I said is that we don't "need" them in order to have a successful RP game, they aren't a necessity.

9. Fawlkes

It is true you do not need them, but in reference to the Hearth's Warming Extravaganza, would it not add something a bit more recognisable to have even a semi-famous pony like Miss Cheerilee or a pony like Bon Bon or Cherry Berry even mentioned in dispatches?

10. KestrelElk

The general idea is that the rest of the Ponyville civilians are at the celebration in the Crystal Empire, the event in the forest area is for those who weren't invited, I'm pretty sure the Mane 6 having save Equestria on a number of occasions would have received invites. Also there is the small issue of:

"Furthermore, please do not roleplay characters from the show. While it is perfectly accepted that your character may have a home in Ponyville or Cloudsdale, this does not mean they are, or have strong connections to, Rarity or Derpy. You may acknowledge them, but please do not take control of them in any way beyond saying hello, for example."

As far as I am aware (from my own judgement) this rule is in place to stop people from dragging show characters in to fulfil there own fantasies and possibly derail a story into an argument over weather or not a specific character would act in that way. Especially in a game comprising of 10+ characters.
    (Again, these are my own thoughts and should not be taken as fact, I have never questioned the rules, I just abide by them)

Blaze_Midnight likes this.
  11. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

How right you are! The key reason we selected this rule: Inability to control or handle the Mane 6 prevents players from power-gaming - having an excessive or unfair ability to manipulate the story line.

12. Recurrent Trotting

I think what Fawlkes meant is that the person controlling the mane 6 wouldn't be a player - they would be a GM. Perhaps in your system one of the mane 6 or a recognisable pony could be involved but we would agree that only a mod or the OP would control it to avoid power gaming? Just so we could have some interaction with all our favourite ponies :3

--

also I must try this skype thing [​IMG]

13. Rizae

Rizae Rainbow Swag

The problem then becomes that one single person has control over them, so the arguments over how accurate they portray the characters would all be directed entirely at them. As said before, it has too much potential for arguments and disagreements to make it worth implementing, which is why it was decided against.
    Right this way, sounds like something you'd be very interested in in fact. PM me for any additional details to avoid derailment here.

14. Fawlkes

In the fifteen months I've been running a pony roleplaying session, I've had little to no mention of the Mane Six not acting the way they should, and why? Because as a fan of the show, you use your better judgement to run one of them. It's the same for any of the numerous background ponies. Lyra, Bon Bon, Cherry Berry, Golden Harvest... All are given personalities which the players enjoy and can relate to, based on their few scenes in the show itself.
    You put a lot of trust in your players to resolve disagreements themselves, should they arrive, yet you will not trust them to have the thing that makes most of us a fan of the show; The interaction between the Mane Six and other ponies.

15. Recurrent Trotting

aww... but if people didn't like one person's portrayal then couldn't they just go post in another story thread?

It is important. OC's are fabulous of course... but the thing that really makes it 'pony' are the characters.
    *big eyes* pleeeease let us have a little control :( if people didn't like it then I wouldn't be offended

oh and thanks about the skype :3 will be right on that

16. Recurrent Trotting

17. XioJade

XioJade Honorary Pony

I've been roleplaying for a loooong time, and both systems deserve merit for what they achieve.

Why not reside to the fact that two communities want to do it a different way? ^.^ I do like the traditional Bronybase style because its familiar, but I can't do with the 1-line posts. I like the story type of RP here but It's difficult to stay in past tense. There are pro's and con's to everything, but its up to the players to adapt if they want to be part of it, not to put their hooves down and agrue their points across the table with no real resolution.

Please, ponies... Remember harmony and friendship. remember the differences we encounter every day, and be tolerant of them :)

18. Fawlkes

As I have discussed with Rizae, I have no problem with this system. I can see it's merits and naturally the popularity it has gained from the members over here. I would just like to extend the invitation to join the RP over on Bronybase if anyone fancies something a little different.

19. Fawlkes

Just giving this topic a bump again. Mostly ignore the discussion which has come before. I would like to offer Roleplaying on BronyBase for those wanting a more regular text-based experience.

There is also talk of abrony-mouse running a small 4-player RP somewhere on the site.

20. Fridge

Fridge Live, Learn, Laugh, Love.

I'll have to give bronybase a look. I do love the Rp style we have on here currently, but I'm very willing to experiment, plus a good Rp is a good Rp :)