1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Chat BronyScot 2016 - Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'BronyScot Convention Discussion' started by Eunos the Fool, 21 November 2016.

1. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Post Con Blues

no stranger to this feeling.

My first Bronyscot and I really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the Panels and the workshops and I really liked the venue to.

Its also great that I am now recognising people from other conventions and great to run into familiar faces.

Rock Nessie was also a hoot, even though I very nearly didn't get in, I didn't have a ticket so I quickly poped into the Mcdonalds next door to purchase one on my mobile and show it off that way, I'm glad I did cause I had a lot of fun :)

well done to all the live acts you were all great.

Will I do it again next year?

Its not a definite yes but at the same time it is not a definite no, so for now it is a definite maybe.

I usually like to go away in November so I have to make a tough choice >•<

either way, thanks to the organisers for a great weekend.

and as ever was great running into old friends.

the more of these cons I attend the more I'm glad I got into this fandom.

So I'm enjoying a quick bite at the weatherspoons in Glasgow centre then it's back to the Airport and back to England.

thanks again for a great weekend :)

2. ponePete

ponePete Habitual Pony

This was my first Brony con and I have no hesitation in saying it was the most fun I've had in a long time. So much love goes out to all those involved, either running or attending.

I couldn't name any other fandom where you can share the love with ponies from all walks of life, of any age and just lose yourself in the moment; Rock Nessie was an extreme case of this and the memories will last forever.

Special thanks to Lapwing for sharing the journey there and back with me and to all the special new friends I've met while there.

BronyScot 2017 will feel such a long time away but i'm ready to do it all again!

Hail the moon!

3. anthony rothstein

Well there we have it!

Another year has came to a close for BronyScot.

Massive thank you to everyone - staffers - guests - attendees. You all made it our best one yet!

Feedback so far has been outstanding!

I'll keep this short for now. Expect a more substantial post in a week or so!

Please share your favourite memories, stories and photos in this thread!

4. McKay

McKay Pony

Post-Con depression now :(

Well, it has been a fun time. I'm glad people liked my cat-tortu... ehhh, I mean my bagpiping.

See everyone at the next bronyscot. Or possibly earlier, at some other con?

5. Rubyhoof

Rubyhoof A stupid little horse

❤️ ^.^ That is all... had such a wonderful time with you pony folks in Glasgow.

Keyphob, Corduroy Road and ponePete like this.
  6. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Had a really awesome time this year - best Bronyscot so far! Absolutely no complaints. :)
    I hope it's the same venue next year, it was a really comfortable place.

Rubyhoof likes this.
  7. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

First ever con and it was awesome so a big thanks to the bronyscot team :D Also could I suggest more stairs :p

And just to bring the mood down if post con blues aren't doing it; to those that talked to me or were just offering a brohoof that I didn't make awkward at all :oops: I have a genetic condition known as friedreich's ataxia (probably should of given a heads up but nervous) so I sound and move as if I've been at AJ's secret cider stash but it's completely physical. I guess the best way to describe it is imagine your brain (way you think, decipher sarcasm, irony, cynicism etc...) being put into a body with practically no coordination and the inability to raise your voice above a quiet pub roar without sounding like you're going through puberty (which is why I seem so "normal" online).
    So for future reference I'm fully well aware that my body sucks and the volume of my voice can vary, so please don't be afraid to keep asking what I said or retry a brohoof :).

The only reason I bring this up is even though I enjoyed this weekend I could tell that people felt a bit....confused...(I guess) when giving a brohooof/shaking a hand or not catching what I say and saying ok with a bit of an uncomfortable undertone. Don't get me wrong I know people do what they do as they feel they may offend otherwise and I totally get that but my mind is as functional as anyone else's, so if you want the challenge of spending countless moons trying to decipher what I said or try to land a connecting brohoof then come at me bro :p

#7 MCtoastie, 21 November 2016
    Last edited: 21 November 2016
  8. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

Okay, thoughts on BronyScot...

I had a cold all weekend which I sadly couldn't shake off in time for the convention, so I give major props to roomates @Rubyhoof and @Keyphob for bearing with me.

In these kinds of events, my best part has to be the social aspect of catching up with friends and regular congoers and also meet the vendors once more. I love putting smiles on the people I met. I'm glad to partake in the charity auction and the miracle that was @anthony rothstein for sorting out my Rock Nessie ticket situation (my real name, or my screen name...?).

Truly can't think of much more to say but to make the most of my newest con drought and plan for another one next year; this one included, hopefully.

9. Ialyrn Aeloria

Ialyrn Aeloria The Unknown Entity

I had a blast at the convention, and I am so happy that I picked BronyScot to be the first convention I have ever been too.

I started off the weekend at the premeet (got there a little late though) after driving up from Worcester with @Shutterbug and @Dodj , but I was sadly very quiet and didn't interact all that much. I still had a great time at the premeet though, and glad I went; as it paved the way on Saturday for me to interact with people more.

I loved meeting the venders, and was great meeting @Stormblaze in person. Again, sorry I forgot the pencil sketch for you; if you private message me sometime, I am more than happy to arrange sending it to you in the post.

I even got over my nerves and managed to sing at the karaoke, lol.......

I had a wonderful weekend, and I hope that there is another BronyScot next year.

Edit: There was more I was going to add, but I am so mentally exhausted after driving home that I can not coherently enough.

#9 Ialyrn Aeloria, 21 November 2016
    Last edited: 21 November 2016
    Stormblaze, Keyphob and Loganberry like this.
  10. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I really enjoyed BronyScot again this year. Makes me feel a lot better after missing BUCK this time round. It was my first Rock Nessie event too, although I'm not sure whether I'll be up for that event again next year. We need some more classic pony songs in that event!

I did enjoy the CCG tournament. I am glad I managed to come second in the draft after being hammered relentlessly in the Friday tournament. I guess I need to improve my decks for next year. I do hope you guys run a draft next year. It might also be an idea to run a tournament somewhere on the Sunday afternoon next time to give us something to do whilst waiting for Rock Nessie.

The games area was fun, and I was so close to victory in the Mario Kart 8 time trials.

It was a lot of fun seeing you guys all again, and I hope we can do it all again next year! I just hope you consider moving back to Edinburgh so I can go and visit my old uni mates again too. :p

11. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Excellent convention, many thanks to all involved!

You can really tell how it's grown and established itself. Don't know what the numbers were but seemed decently up from last year to me.
    On the one hand I think it unfair to make "BUCK comparisons" for a number of reasons, on the other hand it seems inevitable to end up doing it and the great news is I'd say there's a real convergence now. Seemingly bigger, more popular, more pizazz, than the previous one (both the con and Rock Nessie) and though it wasn't to my knowledge meant as one - having been established during its heyday simply as a con for Scotland - it's really started to blossom as a BUCK replacement in my eyes. Here's hoping this one manages to continue keeping costs reasonable and organisers not stressed to breaking point as it quite possibly grows more next year :)

If popularity does rise, stretching to 2 days would probably be good. On the other hand, I once again found myself appreciating the break on Sunday to get a bit of much needed sleep, see something of the city and then resume the party later.

As the friend of the above @MCtoastie I have rapidly become an accessibility advocate, so my inevitable input there - it gave me something to criticise Glasgow in general about (though it may be unfair to pin this heavily on just Glasgow given this is my first time really paying full attention to such things - I'm thinking every able bodied person should experience being a companion on a trip at some point if not already via existing friends/family as even just a couple of days really opens your eyes), and I can't fault BronyScot itself - a quick look around the city shows how much they love their steps wherever you go :p The main con venue was good to get around, and as for the other events I'd have to shout out @Silver Broom for showing a lot of care and consideration in helping sort what assistance could be done and checking up, and the assorted Bronies in the Curlers showing the community spirit in bringing their fellow herd member up to the party and back ^^
    But if somehow some way all BronyScot organised stuff next year did get to be fully accessible, and it's looking likely enough we'd be going again, that would be awesome.

Ohhh yeah on the subject of the Curlers... got in there early so was perfectly happy and either way can certainly not grumble about a free anything, but watching what happened with dat buffet.. I have a message from Final Fantasy IX's foodie Quina:
    tumblr_nol0sdmq9L1qlv9bto1_500.jpg
    :p

Good stuff once again with the cosplay event and the Larson event. As an aside, it's somewhat disheartening to learn (if I understood correctly) that he's split from FiM by choice due to.. differences... between Hasbro and the writers, at least from his point of view, but it's nice that he's still happy to have a chat about his time there. Wonder if the con could get any of the other show staff involved in the Skype. Oh and get a MacChromebook :)

The "Pony Debate" event was a hoot, and something different - I don't recall a similar event at other cons, so keep up the new ideas!

All in all had a great time, love Scotland, love the way you're taking this convention, very high marks!

12. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

Well said sir! and something I should have said as well is thank you to everypony who helped or even offered to help in those situations and thanks to @Silver Broom for keeping us in the loop and trying his best :)

Don't worry, spend 14 odd years in a chair and you get used to all that and learn to brush it off :)

Keyphob likes this.
  13. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

Thank you all for the comments so far.

We should have a survey out at some point, but in the meantime please continue to provide your feedback here, whether positive or critical.

I would be particularly interested to know what people's thoughts are on the structure (which this year was official pre-meet Friday night, main con all-day Saturday, music event Sunday night).

I can only sincerely apologise for anyone that missed out on the food at the buffet. (For those that weren't there… food was served, it all went in a few minutes and there was not enough for everyone.) I missed out myself, so I am just as disappointed! At least this part was free though, and it's something we will bear in mind if doing something similar next year.

Thank you. It was important to me that you got to enjoy it as much as possible. It's not just me though, as it was our venue manager @Cogsworth who ultimately relayed my concerns with the venues.

MCtoastie and Keyphob like this.
  14. BunnyPony

BunnyPony Recognised Pony

Well, you seemed very erudite to me when we met. I hope that you felt I was treating you the way you wish to be, if not, then you have my sincere apologies as I don't want to offend anyone at all, regardless of ability, race, religion, sexuality or political view. If people treat me nicely, they will in turn be treated well. It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope that, if it happens, we meet at the next BronyScot!

Cloudane, MCtoastie and Keyphob like this.
  15. CrikeyoRilley

CrikeyoRilley Supplier of Apples and Apple Accessories.

Eee by gum this was a lot of fun. Bronyscot last year was my first con ever and gave me the passion to get out and see as many as I can so it always had a special feeling with me.

This weekend was super fun. Starting with the awesome Burger I had at Bread Meats Bread thanks to a local recommendation it was insane and also a first chance to try Poutine with 'curds'. Then found out how decent the subway was for getting around, very handy.

I had slightly forgot I entered myself into the CCG, mainly due to only playing it once and aside from having a mountain of cards I hadnt got a deck together. I grabbed a handful and went for it. Got my butt handed to me four times and finished last, but three of the four were new players so I am glad you got your first wins lads ;).
    The rest of the night was mingling and drinking and having my Derpy plush doted over by all manner of people. Familiar faces from cons past, new faces to usernames on the forum and the discord and lots of the European contingent who came all the way to Scotland. I was also introduced to this Telegram app and found a whole load of you using that which was fun. (So many social media's)

Saturday was a long day full of fun, enjoyed the Dori-to talk, got to learn and play BUCK Legacy which was really good. Its a shame I have no one willing to play it from my end so didn't oblige to purchase even though it was a good price. The CosPlayers did a super job, well done to all that entered. Had a good chat with the fur table, will look to get up there next year, the suiter in the kitty costume was super cute.
    Attended the art workshop, hoping to pick up some tips or so but it was seemingly just a sit down and doodle hour, which I didnt mind as the sit down and chill was quite welcome.
    The Larson call was fun as it was last year, few hiccups network and hardware wise but I think it woke everyone up when the sound card farted.
    The VA panel was really good as one of the two main guests I wanted to see EileMonty was reading a script in different voices, Tracer being my fav one.
    I also won an auction for a load of posters, photos, badges and illustrations from her, all signed and doodled on. Over the moon with them, such a talent and i'm quite a nerdy fan.
    Had a commission done of the new OC I had and bought a few other pieces of art.
    I know I did alot and prob forgot a load of stuff but meeting people again new and from previous cons was a top highlight.
    Ohh yeah, the pub quiz we crashed, we came 2nd with Twilights team. Sweeeeeeeet!

Sunday and a day I was also looking forward to, gave me a day to have a lie in and explore the city. Found the Christmas Markets and indulged on a Currywurst and Cherry Gluhwein. Had a wander around the shops and then used this Telegram app and met up with a bunch in Forbidden planet, then for a bit Pony Stacking and coffee in Starbucks.
    Followed by a wander around the markets and shops again ending the pre concert fun watching the light switch on and pretty amazing firework should which was over 10 minutes long.

The concert itself was amazing, acts fantastic, people a great laugh and the Guinness surprisingly tasty given its in a plastic vessel.
    EileMonty again was superfun and managed a quick chat with after as I had the badges on from the auction. The second of my must see things was Glaze, loved his music throughout his fandom ride and he also did Supernatural a remix of a song by Ken Ashcorp. I had some good ole drunken weep sessions to this in the past so it was amazing.
    Skyriff the giant floofy pony was amazing, the other acts, especially the MC from the Netherlands was amazing (no con book and fuzzy memory at the time of writing).
    Finished myself off with a pint of venom and hope I was too messy or bugged anyone later on. Top night.

Im now writing this half dead into a 12 hour night shift, not wise planning.

TL:DR - 10/10 would con again.

Everyone I met, hung out with and shared a drink. You made my weekend, too many of you to mention in here, but you're all special, thank you x. The organisers all did a stand up job, you should be proud and I hope to see this up and running again next year, hopefully taking some of the other punters who might be left con less.

[​IMG]

#15 CrikeyoRilley, 22 November 2016
    Last edited: 22 November 2016
    Cloudane, MCtoastie, Rubyhoof and 2 others like this.
  16. BunnyPony

If you remember, we came second in the pub quiz even though we guessed most of the answers!

CrikeyoRilley and Keyphob like this.
  17. GeodesicDragon

GeodesicDragon Prince Brublood

Where do I begin?

It was a truly fantastic weekend, and I'm so glad that I was able to attend (without any incidents beforehand). It was great seeing all my mates, most of them for the first time after so many random voice discussions on Discord.

I'll be posting a more in-depth post on my Fimfiction blog (with pictures) at some point, but for now, here are some of my highlights:

• @BunnyPony giving me a wonderful gift.
    • Watching two of the Equestria Girls movies for the first time (Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games).
    • Winning the Pub Quiz (Go Team *Horse Noises*!)
    • Accidently deleting the photo I got with EileMonty.
    • Meeting EileMonty again by chance at Pizza Hut, where she was kind enough to let me get another picture.
    • Seeing @Keyphob again, even if was for the briefest of brief moments.
    • Having a shower in the time it took the kettle in my hotel room to boil water for a cuppa.
    This is all I can remember at the moment; I partied harder than normal, and will need to go through my photos. Financial difficulties meant I couldn't spend much, but I still enjoyed myself.

Here's to BronyScot 2017!

18. Reverb Skyriff

Reverb Skyriff Grumpy Pone!

Whew! What a weekend!

I had a fantastic time at the con, it was brilliant to finally get to perform in fursuit for a largely brony audience. I'm utterly ecstatic at the reactions I got to my big floofy antics! Although apologies if you had to prompt me for a hoof bump or a hug, my vision and hearing in the costume isn't that great, I wasn't ignoring you! ^_^

I'm really glad the wings I had on lasted through out the con, although I shed quite a lot of feathers. Not bad for a last minute purchase on ebay. Hopefully next time I'll have my foam and fur wings sorted out, so no more feathers (so if you have one of my feathers it's now a collectors item XD).

And Rock Nessie... What a show! The acts were amazing and I never in a million years expected to be invited up on stage... best night of my life!

I want to say a big thank you to @Silver Broom for being so helpful with my changing needs and finding me a space to change in the Rock Nessie venue! Also, thank you to everyone I met in and out of suit for making me feel so welcome! You all make this all worth it <3

19. BunnyPony

You're welcome, Geo - hope it was worth the wait! (And well done beating my team in the quiz!!!!)

GeodesicDragon and Keyphob like this.
  20. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Winning the Discord Plush at the charity auction was also a highlight for me.

First tim I ever won something off an auction :)