1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, Mista Squishy is running a fundraiser for Children In Need this year. Check out this thread for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

BronyScot 2017 wrap-up / feedback thread

Discussion in 'BronyScot Convention Discussion' started by Silver Broom, 28 November 2017.

1. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

Well, that's another BronyScot & Rock Nessie over for this year!

Thanks to all of you who came, it wouldn't be what it is without you. And an extra special thank you to our guests and volunteers!

At the charity auction we raised £1,985 for the Scottish SPCA – thank you to those who bid, or who donated items. This includes £110 from the sale of the Rock Nessie banner on Sunday night. We've rounded this up and have the coin jars still to add, but at this stage we can confirm that over £2,000 will be going to help vulnerable and neglected animals in Scotland.

The team is now recovering after a busy weekend and preparation, but in the meantime, please continue to post about how things went for you this year. :)

Also, shoutout to our friends at Hearthswarming Con: they had a stall at BronyScot and we will have one there as well. Hearthswarming Con will take place on 17–18 February 2018 in Haarlem, Netherlands, and tickets are available on their website now!

Robshi, ponePete and Cloudane like this.
  2. MattBas

MattBas Active Pony

It was an awesome weekend.

I do have a bit of criticism though, the opening ceremonies were a bit underwhelming, and only very few people could play Tails of Equestria at once.

3. The Dark Horse

The Dark Horse Well-Known Pony

Pros:

Loads of good merchandise, loads of nice people, very co-operative cosplayers posing for photos for me, amazing Princess Ember cosplay, Kelly Sheridan, great night for drinks (mostly Coca-Cola cause I'm not a fan of alcohol), raising money for a charity that helps and rehabilitates animals (Fluttershy would be SO happy!) and got a green glowstick that glowed for like two-ish days!

Cons:

No gaming tournaments (already said before, I know), no bagpipe to conclude the convention and my video camera lost it's good quality and got blurry!

Overall, great convention this year! :D

ponePete likes this.
  4. ponePete

ponePete Active Pony

Pre-meet was nice as before and I spent more time meeting new ponies.

The con itself was an odd one for me as I was helping out with vending so missed out on many panels, but the experience was interesting and the Christmas tree was nice :D. Being a vendor also helped me meet more people from our Telegram chat whom I may not have noticed whilst walking about. Seemed to be less vendors since last time too which was a shame.

The cosplay building panel was inspiring and I hope others were inspired too. Building on a budget was a novel concept and one i believe could be used well with good forsight and planning.

I want to thank everyone for their support in the cosplay competition. It means a lot to me and am now looking forward to my second project after learning so much. It'll be nice to see it all on film when someone uploads it as I only caught the tail end ^^;

I missed the opening ceremony but caught the ending ceremony. Both were somewhat underwhelming and didn't really tie it up well for me. I was lucky to experience last year's with scottish/mlp bagpipe music and good speeches.

As for Rocknessie, it was as good as last time but again had no strongly defined intro/outro. Nevertheless it was a lot of fun, caught up with even more new people and enjoyed some Bru :D Was a shame Re:Make couldn't perform, but it was lovely anyway.

I'm already hoping for/looking forward to BronyScot 2018. I feel it should be a 2 day event with half of the second day being RN but of course this depends on many factors. It just feels so short, or goes so quickly :)

Thanks to all the staff and volunteers who made this such a fun event despite challenges in administration, with lots of new friends made and memories that'll last for a long time.

Librase likes this.
  5. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I really enjoyed the convention this year and I couldn't have had a better way to celebrate turning 30. I was glad I got to sing Goof Off at the Karaoke to mark it.

I enjoyed playing Tails Of Equestria RPG even though I've been put off tabletop RPGs before by rather long and dull sessions. I think the intensity of it along with everyone getting involved all the way through helped a lot. I kinda want to get a play group going somewhere now! Can we start a longer campaign over next years BronyScot? Someone get on that!

I did sympathise with those who had to wait to play the game but had to wait or didn't get a chance to. I was lucky as I was one of the first to turn up. Having one or two more DMs handy with books would've worked a lot better.

That Ember cosplay was amazing. It was surreal seeing it walking around, I feel as though a portal had opened up to the Dragon Lands and one of my favourite characters had come through!

My biggest gripe with this years con was just the fact there were one or two times where there seemed to be nothing happening. The con just felt dead for a little while, especially in the hour or two before the skype call. I think the lack of activity in the gaming area was the biggest factor for this. More panels would be nice, but the gaming area would help fill things out a lot better when tied with the Karaoke. Hopefully next year things will get sorted.

I also think the introductions and conclusions were done rather badly. Where were the bagpipes this year? Some speeches or one final song or something could've gone a long way. It was weird how Rock Nessie didn't seem to get an outro. I thought one might happen just before the DJ came out, and I headed off before he'd finished.

As for Rock Nessie though, I felt that was better than last year. I think I just preferred the music in the opening sets and really got into it. I also enjoyed seeing the added attention having a plushie companion gets you. Tempest really made some friends that night.

On the Sunday I was a little worried I might get bored but Glasgow has way more shops that caught my eye than I realised. My poor wallet didn't know what hit it. Living in Cumbria really sucks when it comes to the complete lack of nerd shops like Forbidden Planet.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed myself despite one or two niggling flaws. I'm hoping these will be resolved and BronyScot 2018 will be better than ever.

Librase, ponePete and The Dark Horse like this.
  6. The Dark Horse

I'm putting together my movie of my experience at that convention so you'll probably see yourself at some point cause I made sure I got all the vendors on camera this time.

Unfortunately because my camera quality got bad I wasn't able to film my question to Kelly Sheridan in which it was if she had news of a sequel to My Little Pony the movie: we mutually hope there will be one!

ponePete likes this.
  7. Librase

Librase Provider of hugs

Time for yet another episode of "Lib sucks at giving feedback". The con in general was enjoyable and I'm glad I went! A good variety of panels and a good selection of merch too! I missed the opening ceremony, so I can't really comment on that. Same story for Rock Nessie, as I felt ill and had to run off to bed after a couple of hours!

Gripes:
    • There seemed to be a lot of waiting and things running late. I understand that things go wrong but it would be nice to keep us updated and such.
    • As someone above said, would have liked to play Tails of Equestria.
    • Map could have been a bit better, I spent quite a bit of time being in the wrong place and looking for things.
    • Would have been nice to have a bit more communication in the months leading up to the event. There just seemed to be a lot of radio silence and made me worry that there wouldn't be a BronyScot at all.

Good things:
    • As someone with spinal rods, I REALLY appreciated having more seating space! Nice to have a place to hang out with friends too.
    • The call with Kelly Sheridan went smoothly, and there were some good questions/Irn Bru adverts.
    • Charity auction was great, even if i didn't win anything. Glad we raised a good amount for charity. Those poor Fluttershies, though!
    • It was lovely to meet some of the people I'd been speaking to in the Telegram group! I always seem to come away from this convention with new friends.
    • Loved the badges. It's much more of a nice keepsake than the bracelets and you can actually see people's names!
    As a fellow Cumbrian, I know this feel all too well. Whenever I'm in Glasgow or Manchester my purse magically lightens.

Robshi, The Dark Horse and ponePete like this.
  8. The Dark Horse

My BronyScot 2017 movie will be released on Saturday 20th. :)

ponePete likes this.
  9. ponePete

ponePete Active Pony

Saturday 20th of...? :p

Looking forward to this one, if your 2016 vid is anything to go by :)

The Dark Horse likes this.
  10. The Dark Horse

I'm SO sorry about that delay. I was really going to stick to my word about yesterday but when I was uploading it: it was slowing down the internet for everyone else in the house! I'm dying to upload it right now so I'm trying my very best to find the perfect moment when no one is using the internet.

I'll get it uploaded as soon as I possibly can!

P.S Your Dragon Lord Ember cosplay was so awesome! :D

ponePete likes this.
  11. ponePete

ponePete Active Pony

Thanks man ^^

I've seen a few good BronyScot videos so far but no official one yet sadly as I'm eager to see the Kelly Sheridan interview again. Given you recorded M.A. Larson last time I wonder if you caught that too?

12. The Dark Horse

Unfortunately I only captured 2 questions asked to Kelly because my IPhone died but I caught when she noticed you on film!
    Also yeah I wonder why BronyScot hasn't uploaded their video yet (if there even IS a "yet").

13. ponePete

ponePete Active Pony

Lol, I've seen her notice me ^_-, it's the rest I've not yet seen.

Official photos had been posted on Facebook, but no videos yet despite cameras clearly dotted around the place. Hope they get round to it :(

14. The Dark Horse

Right! New schedule, my video will be uploaded on Wednesday morning.

ponePete likes this.
  15. Silver Broom

Silver Broom Tireless Traveller

I'll check up on the official video recording. That should include the Sheridan interview.

As ponePete mentioned, the official photos are on Facebook, thanks to Gavin Work: https://www.facebook.com/pg/gavinworkphotography/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1807420272885884

The Dark Horse and ponePete like this.
  16. The Dark Horse

It's here! :D

ponePete and Robshi like this.
  17. ponePete

ponePete Active Pony

I enjoyed that, thanks for uploading and for putting the effort into it. It was worth the wait :)

18. The Dark Horse

Thanks bud! ;) And thank YOU for putting great effort into that Ember cosplay of yours and bringing it to the convention!

ponePete likes this.
  19. Eunos the Fool

Eunos the Fool Proud Hater of Sparity

Great, I appear at the beginning of the Vid >.< (Guy with red hat)

20. The Dark Horse

Hmm... Which one's you? o_O

1. the guy with the dark red beanie hat

2. the guy with the bright red beanie hat

or
    3. the guy with green hair and wearing a red scottish cap that looks like Mad Munchkin's? OH wait! Hold on, that IS Mad Munchkin AND a girl! Nevermind! :p