1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Brucecore's Custom Blind bags

Discussion in 'Customs and Plushies' started by brucecore dazzle, 17 January 2013.

1. brucecore dazzle

brucecore dazzle Plastic pony painter!

Hi guys,
    I've been playing around with my patners warhammer box and my spare blind bags, thought i'd see what everypony thinks! The colours aren't the most accurate, and the paintwork is shoddy but it's a start!
    Feel free to give feedback and tips, but don't be mean or I might run away crying, booooo.

[​IMG]

Derpy - was my very first attempt, and it's obvious in places that I found a light grey about 5 minutes after i'd started!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hopefully it's obvious this is Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas, i'm in the process of doing Jack too.

2. Chestnuts

Chestnuts Hashtag Ponyswag

Haha, Sally pony's brilliant! Your painting's nice and neat I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with putty :D

Also, Jack Skellington pony is a sweet idea! :D

Greetings likes this.
  3. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

Love these, and can't wait to see Jack Skellington! It may be worth your while getting a paint palette to mix colours in; three generous brush-loads are usually enough to just cover the body of a blind-bag. Citadel paints are good, but they don't always have the range of lighter shades you really need for most ponies (I assume you're using Citadel paints) That said, I can't afford too much paint, so in my case, it's as much a case of economy as anything else.

4. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

Heh, is it law that everyone's first custom has to be Derpy or something? :p

An excellent start though. Really accurate painting.

5. Chestnuts

Hahaha yeah it's the Ministry of Tiny Ponies rule number 1, thou shalt start with Derpy.

I'm writing a second post here as I was on the computer when I shouldn't have been this morning, just snuck home for a cheeky 2 hour lunch break and made a brew, so if you're sitting comfortably, I've got my critical cap on.. please don't take any of this negatively, I wouldn't at all want to draw attention away from the fact that you clearly can paint nicely, I just noticed one or two things that may help you.. if you paint the body colour all over, rather than just the bits you want to be that colour, (so you paint the mane and tail on Derpy grey too) that way if you miss any bits cutting in at the edges, it won't show up as much. I'm talking about where you can see tiny bits of red from RD's mane or Purple from the Rarity they don't ruin the make at all, your detail is great it's just a little extra to cover up missed bits :)

Also, do at least two coats on coverings like the body, mane and tail that way the colour will look a lot more even!

Where do you get your paints from cause they can range in price quite a bit, I used to pay I think about £1000 per 10ml pot from Hobbycraft but now via this online seller I can get my Tamiyas for £1.44 a pot (plus postage but order a few things and you're still saving) they also have milliput there for £2 a pack at the moment as opposed to £5.00-something from Hobbycraft, or £6.80 from my local art shop! (yeah £6.80 I went in there once when I needed a short notice supply but when I got to the counter and the guy asked me for £6.80 I was like you are joking right where are the other two packs then?? he wasn't impressed and I haven't been in there since)

6. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

Games Workshop, but you're right, I should look into online shopping more. I'm just ridiculously paranoid about such things (I'm getting over that, as the lovely Rainbow Dash sweater from Truffle Shuffle I'm wearing right now can attest!)

7. Chestnuts

If you have items go missing in the mail you just nag the hell out of Royal Mail, like phone them once a week and they'll crack eventually. I've actually profited off the last two packages I had go missing, one was two customs I sent to Kino Hamanka and the other was a shirt I ordered from We Love Fine.. :D Royal Mail say they aren't interested if you don't pay for Recorded but phone them once a week and politely state that you've paid for a service you haven't got, plus they've now lost something you can prove the value of and watch them try to deny you a full refund. In the case of Kino's customs I requested the full amount and they refunded that, plus postage (so they refunded my postage twice, win) and in the case of WLF they refunded me everything and took up their own complaint with USPS, I then went to Royal Mail and got a refund on the postage, which ended up being a £10 'goodwill gesture' meaning that I made a tenner on it. Helps if you use 'SayNoTo0870' and have unlimited calls or a landline :D

8. brucecore dazzle

Thanks all for the comments and feedback, it's all very constructive so i'm very happy!

I think the main reason I did Derpy first was because I was annoyed they didn't make a bling bag version already, so I recitfied the situation myself (then my imgaination ran away with me and decided to go crazy).
    My millliputs arrived today, so i'm gonna play with that later on. I have no idea if I can get it in shops near me, but for anyone who can't heres where I got mine http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290832095054?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 arrived in two days :D.

Also i'm now paint shopping thanks to your link Chesnuts!! I do currently use citadel ones, but a lot of them are very old and a bit 'goopy', and yeah the colours aren't that great!

9. Chestnuts

Tamiya's paint range is smaller than Citadel but between the two they have a fairly good selection. I mix a lot of the colours I use up in any old plastic container I can find that has a lid (a lot of my mum's face creams come in dead handy, nice and small pots), sealed they'll stay usable for around a week depending on how tightly they're sealed. They'll go horrid in time anyway as you mentioned.. :(

10. brucecore dazzle

That website you posted actually sell empty pots! Although I think i'll use an old camera reel tub or something.

11. brucecore dazzle

Here we are guys . . . Jack Skellington! Original plan was to paint a bit of a tux on, might still do it as he looks a bit plain in comparison to Sally! All I did with the milliput was smooth down the areas where I cut the hair off and do his bow tie :D
    I think they look pretty cute together!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Chestnuts

Hahahaha! I love him, I love them both! Lovely work :D

13. brucecore dazzle

I had a pony delivery today (very exciting!), so i'll be butchering them very soon!

14. brucecore dazzle

Work in progress : Jack Sparrow and Freddy (or technically Freda) Kruger. These projects have taught me that I need more practise on hats. I don't know why I suddenly spiralled from painting someponies to be otherponies to making crazy non pony ponies . . . but I did. I also get the feeling a lot of my creations from now onwards are going to be female versions of male characters, just because I have many many more female ponies than male!

Pics will follow after paint jobs :D

15. Greetings

Greetings Greetings

Your custom work is very astounding, especially due to the fact that you are self taught and have had grate success!
    Also, as I think it must be a right of passage or something for people that do custom blind bags; I think it would be an Idea for you to do Doctor Whooves!

16. brucecore dazzle

Thank you!

I will put Dr Hooves on my list, it's a good shout.

17. Chestnuts

Hats are one of the hardest things to make, at least I think so anyway. Might be useful to slice the top of the pony's head off so you just make the round peak and sit it flat on the head, rather than trying to get a neat, flat peak all the way round.. I did my first three hats by trying to get a flat peak all the way round and on the last two I sliced the top of the head off and I think it looks better :D

Jack Sparrow blindbag sounds awesome :D

18. brucecore dazzle

Work in progress . . . still needing touch ups and finer detailing (faces/cutie marks etc).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. brucecore dazzle

Finished Jack Sparrow and Freddy Kruger . . .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And also . . . .

Sawpony (slightly inspired by the title of 'The Games Ponies Play'.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

More touch-ups needed on this one. Funny how they look almost perfect until you get the flash on them . . .

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  20. brucecore dazzle

My attempt at Angel bunny! I've put her next to Sassaflash for size comparison 9as I actually don't have any Fluttershys yet). Also working on a Princess Luna who will be up soon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

F.I.N.E. likes this.