1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Build-a-Bear meets ...

Discussion in 'Confirmed Event Discussion' started by Max Apogee, 31 March 2013.

1. Denegoth

Denegoth Honorary Pony

Either you're blind to what went on or you're choosing not to acknowledge it due to how awful it is.

2. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

Look, I didn't see what happened on in the background, because when I was there, the group I was in didn't foresee what happened (we only learnt about it as soon as it was brought up days after the event). I'm not trying to defend or justify such meets, but simply, I'm trying to give advice from someone that was at such an event, because I feared that a repeat of last time would happen, even though there are multiple stores this time, as opposed to a single department in a given department store. My two pence.

3. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

Wow, I'm really starting to regret bringing up the Selfridges Incident now. Okay, let's back up a moment and actually compare the two events here:

The Selfridges Event was a very publicised 1-day event at a single store, where they were giving away a limited edition piece of merchandise that was previously established as having the potential to be very valuable.

This Build-a-bear Event, as I see it, is a nationwide event, going on for the rest of the week, and is a promotional event to sell a new line of regular merchandise that is not hugely valuable or expensive. And stocks for it must be pretty high if they intend it to be a week-long event. Not to mention it hasn't been nearly as heavily advertised as the Selfridges event.

I'm not defending the Selfridges Incident, indeed I see it as an embarassing moment of UK brony history, but I'm just saying it's kinda hard to compare the two. I can't speak for anyone else who is planning to go to any meets for this event (To my knowledge, only 1 has actually been arranged, with an estimate of about 5 people going), but I promise that on the one I'm going to, to the best of my abilities, I will do my best to make sure this casual meetup does not degenerate into a raid.

I'll be buying a single toy (And that might be an amendment to the guidelines: That anyone going limits themselves on how much stuff they buy), making sure the kids get priority and generally staying out of their way, getting out of the way as soon as I've made my purchase, and making an effort to be as uncreepy as possible. Simple as that. All I can do otherwise is request that anyone else planning on going, does similarly.

Okay, sorry about that. I'm done preaching now.

4. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

nop cambridge is having one too

Little Emerald likes this.
  5. Sharpy

Sharpy UKofE Co-Founder

Right guys, I'll say please read the first post about being careful. If you must go may I suggest having an alternate plan so that if the store is busy you can do something else while people with children make their purchases. Remember build-a-bear isnt so much a purchase to a child it's an experience.

Please do not hurt anyone in your desire for a plushie. I understand wanting them, I really do. They look awesome and cute and I'm sure I'll acquire one for myself at some point but do not do that at the detriment to young people. Most modern childhoods suck enough as it is, don't make it any worse. We cannot stop you going to the stores. All we ask is you be nice to the people there.

If you are going to go in during the launch week please be considerate. Keep quiet and be kind, think Fluttershy and that is how you should be behaving! If one or two of you are in there and quietly buy one and leave without incident no one will mind :) A few workers may wonder why they sold so many MLP plushies to older fans but they wont see it in a negative way, just weird.

Max Apogee likes this.
  6. Alfie

Alfie Banned User

Was there really such a need to rephrase the first post?

7. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

bottom line: don't be an ass

8. KirstyF

KirstyF UKofE Co-Founder

I understand you're all excited about these plushies being launched, and i fully understand this may be a very unpopular thing to say ..... but to be honest guys i really think we should all try and avoid rushing to build a bear at all this week. This is very clearly an event for kids given the fact it's over the easter school holidays and will probably get a lot of attention from kids, and knowing how busy BAB gets at the best of times and the amount of birthday parties they will undoubtedly be hosting (whilst the kids are off school) these shops will be rather busy and don't need to be made even busier by us all heading down there. As a lot of you will probably know the building of a bear is a reasonably long process if you are incuding a heart, sound recordings etc. and it seems rather unfair for any kids going to have to queue for even longer because there's two or three of us in the queue in front of them plus the other kids there. If it was as simple a process as nipping in, grabbing a bear, taking it to the till and getting out it wouldn't be so bad. But the fact that building the plushie takes time, then there is browsing of the accessories etc. (which you will all understandably want to do) we have to admit that we'd be spending a fair amount of time in there crowding up the shop for all the excited kiddies.

I think it would be nice of us as a community to show some patience and avoid the shops this week (as the themed week really isn't for us) and wait until the kids are back at school or they won't be crowding to the shop for the special MLP week, and particularly avoid it on the launch day (tomorrow) as a lot of families are likely to head there whilst parents are off work. And don't forget there is always the very good option of ordering online (as i'm sure most of you won't really miss being there to see the pony built) and that way you can spend as long browsing as you like.

If you really feel that you absolutely must have a pony this week and must be at the event, all i ask is that you aim to avoid the stores tomorrow, try and get in there at quiet times or when there aren't already kids waiting and be as quick as you possibly can and above all be considerate and nice.

9. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

I agree to avoid going to BAB this week, unless the very rare possibility that you have a child or younger sibling who wants to go.

KirstyF likes this.
  10. Sky_Bound

Sky_Bound On The Moon

I third this notion. Hold off until the event is over, the kids will be back in school and you can make your Rainbow Dash or Pinkie Pie plushies to your heart's content without ultimately stopping children (Who only have a week off school) from being able to buy a plushy.

11. al capony

al capony Resident drunk

i would just like to add rainbow dash always dresses in style
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#31 al capony, 1 April 2013
    Last edited: 1 April 2013
  12. Anthpony

Anthpony That guy with the beard.

The BaB meet I was at yesterday went just fine. No children were harmed and no jimmies were rustled. The staff didn't seem at all surprised to see a small group of adults turning up to buy ponies and were very welcoming, encouraging us to take our time getting our ponies just how we wanted them. There were of course a lot of families with kids in the store but none of them seemed to even notice us, being wrapped up in there own bear-building experiences:)
    I'd say there's really no reason to avoid going this week as long as you keep the group size small (there were 5 of us).

13. Disturbed Neko

Disturbed Neko Head of Humberside Bronies

Of course you could do what I did yesterday at the Hull store - go 30 minutes before the store closed, when there's no-one there apart from the staff.

Sharpy and KirstyF like this.