1. Hey, Guest. You will require a character before you will be able to participate. You can apply for that by clicking here.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Other Carnival at the Crystal Empire

Discussion in 'Main Roleplay' started by Eiro, 28 May 2013.

1. Aethelberdia

Aethelberdia Returning Pony

Why on whatever the actually scientifically accurate ponies of the world called the planet were there always con ponies everywhere? Out of all the places Ember had been to Equestria was the most sickeningly obsessed with friendship of all. They even believed that their princess RAISED THE SUN, for Azhimath's sake. So why the vice and sin, as it were? Well, she'd already scared one illegitimate trader into giving her a good deal, but now all those at the carnival gave her a wide berth. Evidently that kind of behavior was unacceptable. Still, better--
    What? What had she heard? Was that the sound of someone being ripped off? She whipped around to see the despicable being right behind her, running what was literally a dwindling stand. Well, she'd teach him to deprive people of their money. "YOU. YES, YOU. You are the most disgusting piece of street scum I have seen in my life. You do realise that this place is a place of enjoyment, not thievery. You, my despicable acquaintance, are going to call that pony you severely deprived and give him all of what that small box you are holding is worth, which I would think is about another 29 bits. Businessman you may be, but cruel thief you are also." This was said in an undertone, with both front hooves placed on the counter. Then, quieting the smart aleck remark forming in his mouth with a quick 'Shut up' she leaned in close to him. "And while we're at it, let's see if those bags really contain what you say they do. And is that real gold? I doubt it. That spoon isn't an antique as far as I can tell and perhaps examination of that so called soap will show us a piece of white clay." Ember was insensced with the blatant lies of this stallion, and unless he had some proof of legitimacy he'd have time to think up cons in jail. Presently she leaned back over to her side of the counter and began staring at him with enough intensity to kill a tree.

2. Darkhunn

Darkhunn AKA Darkmetal, the Easygoing one

"...Elastic bolts?!" Tweak shouted out. "*gasp* is that... a chocolate hammer?!"
    He continued to rummage through the bag, frantically.
    "This is... this is... Amazing!!" Tweak had a huge grin across his face. "I've been looking for some of these for ages! A zebra prince told me in a scroll that he'd send me the full set if I sent him 50 bits, but I never received it! You, my good pony, are a Gentlecolt and a scholar! This is a bargain!"
    He turned to Ember, "No, no, no, you have it all wrong! Why, this pony must be the most charitable soul I've ever met! There's even a clockwork apple in here! It's broken, sadly, but that's no problem for a colt like me! No, no, oh! -And this here mechanical apple here will be a perfect balancer to the gyroscopic mane-comber I've been working on! This fine pony must have noticed my tinker's aura and presented me with three fine choices! Ooo, did you magic the goods in whatever bag I chose? I bet you did, you tricky soul! no, don't tell me, haha. Oh my, It's simpl-"Tweak trailed off into a mumble as he dug through the bag of 'treasures' happily.
    He looked up and gleefully to Risky and Romero. "Thanks, kind businesspony, and thanks pony who smells suspiciously like coffee!"

3. Aethelberdia

The pony was an amateur.
    Clockwork in a bag of 'useless' items? A chocolate hammer?
    Those were not useless items. Those were unusual items.
    The excited customer was an inventor, evidently. And also a genius, if obviously rather naive. Still, his sheer ingenuity impressed her. That was hard to do. Being clever was one thing but this level of innovativity was astounding. Ember, being practically a knowledge parasite, was going to stick around this pony. There remained the fact that this pony was now broke and had nothing of much conventional use. Ember now had two options: either cheat at the bag game or buy supplies legitimately. Either way, they were going to the young genius, who was looking at a screw like a dragon examining a gem. Of course, the indiscriminate swindler on the stall would expect cheating, so Ember bid fond farewell to her first plan. However, in exchange for a chance to hang around a prodigy in the field of engineering Ember would pay 100 bits. Not that that was a huge amount for her, as Ember had, to her confusement, become incredibly rich since the start of her travels and thus could buy practically anything. Now came the issue of looking like a nice person after threatening someone with jail.
    Turning to the tinkerer she began. "Well, it seems you got lucky. I wouldn't think Mr Business here magicked the bags, but he certainly isn't as heartless as I thought. At least not intentionally. Then again, someone with a good degree if intellect can find a use for anything, even things most people think useless. However, I can't help but think you still drew the short straw, as you lack, well, tools and things I suppose and haven't got a lot of money, seeing as goods in markets are often rather pricey. Seeing as there are other ways of obtaining them, would you let me buy what you need? Now you're probably thinking 'What does this mare who is evidently trying to flatter me want' and I don't blame you, after my... outburst earlier, but all I really want is a bit of time with someone who can do what you can. anything you could tell me about it could come in useful on my travels, more useful than a great many things, although if the offer doesn't interest you I'll give you some cash regardless, purely because you impress me."
    On that abrupt note, Ember waited expectantly for a reply. Evidently the pony at the stand didn't like the idea of a confrontation (especially as Ember was carrying her crossbow, although not loaded with lethal bolts) and stayed out of the way, albeit laughing, while she monologued.
    She just hoped the gadgeteer would accept her offer. If not, then she'd need to find someone else who could show her equally amazing things.

#23 Aethelberdia, 2 April 2014
    Last edited: 2 April 2014
  4. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Risky snickered at the grey mare in front of him. He had been holding in his laughter for quite a while now, but was trying to be polite. He had been thinking of ways to tell her off, but his customer had unintentionally done that for him. That made the situation all the more humorous to him. When the mare had turned her back on Risky, he started to giggle and snort. He got Romero laughing too, but the coffee pony was just glad that the tension was gone. Now, he could go back to enjoying his vacation.

Risky closed all the drawers in his cart and pushed it along. He motioned Romero to follow him. They left the mare and customer behind. When they did, they couldn't hold in their laughter anymore. "Did you see the look on that mare's face?! She's tried to explain her way out of it too. Poor broad didn't even know what hit her!"

"Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for all that stuff in the bag that the pony bought?"

"Five Cavallian Bucks. I found all that stuff on a discount rack at a nickel-and-dime store back home. Once you factor in the exchange rate, you could say I quadrupled my money! That's not counting the do-hickey I got from him either. Not bad for just about fifteen minutes of work, huh? He bought the wrong bag, but was still happy. You know what they say: 'One pony's trash is another pony's... well, I don't havta finish it! Anyways, I have a happy customer, and a silenced doubter. That's all I could ever hope for in a sale!" The two friends continued to laugh and talk as they walked towards the hotel.

#24 Rare80, 2 April 2014
    Last edited: 2 April 2014
  5. Darkhunn

"Oh, I wouldn't dream of taking your money!" Tweak said "...but, um, I did come here on my own, so we could explore the carnival together? oh... actually... I could use some money. I left the Gizmos I planned on selling back on the train."
    He frowned, he was always forgetting things, as his mind tended to flit from one thing to another.
    "I couldn't possibly just take it, though! Allow me to create something for you! I'm pretty darned handy with a screwdriver! And a spanner! And a wrench- they're not the same things, you know! An- Oh, Sorry, I'm blabbering, again. And how rude of me! I haven't introduced myself, I'm Tweak! Just 'Tweak'! What's your name? Did you tell me already? Sorry if you did, I do drift away in my thoughts sometimes..."

6. Aethelberdia

Ember was surprised she could understand what Tweak was saying. In fact, she was surprised she hadn't simply walked off, or hit the giggling merchant in the face. However, her eyes were drawn to the now wildly gesticulating pony in front of her and she found herself genuinely smiling and nodding, agreeing with his rather confusing monologue. Ember hadn't genuinely smiled in a long time, and neither had she met somepony who didn't respond to her overall attitude negatively. Anyway, she needed to cut him off soon or her ears might melt.
    "My name is Ember. Just 'Ember'," she interrupted, "and yes, looking around the carnival seems like a brilliant idea. I have to say, though, I don't see why you won't just take my money. Then again, it seems I lack quite a lot in the 'etiquette and social skills' department, so that might be why. Still, anything you could whip up would be of some use, so I accept your offer."

Inside her mind, Ember's antagonistic, mistrustful demeanor was fighting against her new, happier, open and much less steely-voiced personality. Hay, she was even speaking more softly and was feeling admiration (something no pony had instilled in her before) for the humble tinkerer before her, someone she would normally reduce to a nervous wreck. This was actually such a change, Ember began shaking violently for a few seconds in abject terror and fear for her sanity, drawing looks of mixed concern and fear from the crowd. However, she soon snapped out of it and waited for Tweak's answer as if nothing had happened.
    In the meantime, Ember's logical side wondered why everyone she met, and herself, spoke in monologues.

7. Darkhunn

"Nice to meet you, Ember!" Tweak replied, cheerfully, "So, what brought you here? Are you a carnival fan? Been here before?"
    Am I asking too many questions?"

He laughed. "Sorry, I do get a bit chatty sometimes, but you just seem... distracted- are you okay?

8. Aethelberdia

"Me? Yes, I'm fine," Ember blustered, trying to steer the conversation in another direction, "but I rather do think that we should get going, It's getting into the late afternoon, shall we get something to eat?" Before Tweak could reply, Ember grabbed him and began pulling the protesting gadgeteer towards the nearest cafe. The sooner this was forgotten, the better.

9. James Dark War

James Dark War Shadow Pony 34

As Patient closed his stall the now for a break he was walking about looking for some place to eat but he also came here to get one thing and he couldn't find it any where in the carnival he want to get a crossbow "Mm it a shame I couldn't find a crossbow anywhere" as he passed two ponies talking he taken a quick glance at one of them the mare as he looked carefully and saw a crossbow.

he walked to them and placed a smile hoping to see if the mare is selling the crossbow
    "Um excuses me but I am wondering are you selling that crossbow of your you see I have been searching one for ages well years actually and I am willing to pay any price for it" he said to them hoping to finally end his endless quest on getting a crossbow from Equestria

10. Darkhunn

"Right, er, sure? Ouch, tha- Ooooh! teacakes!"

Tweak was satisfied. things were getting back on track!
    Tweak and Ember sat down with some teacakes that Ember wouldn't let him pay for
    "so... are you a fan of gizmos too? What's your thing?" he smiled. "I'll need to figure out what to make you for that thank-you sooner or later!"

11. Aethelberdia

Ember was a little confused by the two speakers, so she apologised to Twitch and turned to face the newcomer. A zebra, apparently. "My crossbow? I can't think what you'd want with it. I made it myself out of woodland materials. But still, I can always make another. To you... uh... do you have anything besides cash? Here, how about you sit with us a second. Have a teacake. In fact, while you're sat down you can take a look at the crossbow." The newcomer hesitantly agreed, sat down, took a teacake and the weapon, and didn't speak for a bit. Ember took this opportunity to speak to Twitch. "Me? Apparently I'm good at sneaking around and other stealthy things. I like to see myself as a jack of all trades, I'm interested in engineering, technology, and the like. As well as a lot of other things. As I said before, I'm a knowledge parasite." The odd thing was, for once, everything was going well. This talking lark was rather lucrative. And leisurely.

12. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

"What do you think was that grey mare's problem anyway?" Romero asked out of the blue just as they were about to enter through the doors of the hotel. The question caught Risky off guard, and grabbed his full attention. Both ponies stopped walking, and Risky immediately got on the defensive.

"Well hay, I don't know! Some ponies just feel the need to be needless heroes, and they just push the rest of us who are trying to make a living down. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what I do. Do you know what I like about chance, Romero? Chance doesn't care who you are. It doesn't care whether your a mare or colt, elder or foal, unicorn or pegasi or earth pony; the odds are always the same. However, you'll get the odd pony every now and again. A pony who isn't used to fairness, and always has the odds tipped in their favor. This pony hates to chance things, and hates it even more to lose. This pony will call you every name in the book except a child of God. They'll have you thrown in jail, and strapped to the nearest electric chair if they can. I guess she was just one of them."

There was a long awkward silence following Risky's sudden outburst. Some of Risky's old wounds from his days in Equestria had been opened back up. Romero had heard of countless stories of Risky going from town to town, and being hated wherever he went. Those stories scared him. However, Risky had changed a lot since then. He did a lot of growing up too. Still, he couldn't believe how rough it must have been.

Risky spoke up again in a much lighter tone, and with a big smile across his face. "Usually I can trick the mare's, though. They have a very hard time resisting the good looks!" Risky lowered his eye level and did his so-called "sexy face". It earned a prompt face-hoof from Romero as the two entered into the reception hall of the hotel.

13. James Dark War

Patient was studying the crossbow closely looking at every part "I say it is great sorry you see I have been all over kingdoms and empire collecting Armour and Weapons I am into all those things and I must say what a wonderful job you have done in this" as he looked up to her "okay you say you don't want cash" as he taken a teacake eating it while thinking at the same time "okay I have lot of things for sale and for trading what do you say we go to my stall and we can see what you want in return for this" he said placing the crossbow down on the table then take a drink of tea.

14. Aethelberdia

"I'm flattered. I do believe you rather overestimate my skill, though-It's nowhere near what one can achieve with the proper resources. Anyway, I'd say a change is in order in terms of my weapon choice. So yes, I agree to your offer. In fact, I think it rather generous. Hold on, I don't even know your name. Mine's Ember, and you're lucky to come upon me today - I seem to be acting far more sociably than normal." Ember thought of something she had almost never done before. "I also need to apologise to that shopkeeper. What was his name?"
    "Risky" replied Twitch, looking up from his teacake.
    "E-Risky? What? But he's... he's one of the greatest thieves of the century! It seems he's reformed, though... Oh, Azhamoth, I should never have mouthed him off, he's so skilled, if a little crude. Ah well all will be resolved tomorrow."
    Risky was Ember's morally ambiguous hero, and she was actually feeling remorse... ironically considering who she was feeling it for insulting. But still, RISKY. Like, he was a ninja! Ember, said the squealing fanfilly inside her, you should get an autograph.
    Shut up, said her rational side, and returned to eating.

15. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

after finally making it back to the train station found the Ice cream stand that she spotted when she first arrived, quickly running up to it she pulled out a couple bits from the pouch she held just under her wings paying for her ice cream before heading back towards the carnival grounds slowly eating her ice cream to savor how cold it was.

once she reached the grounds she noticed that all the game, entertainment stands and shops had all been set up and running "well that was speedy" she thought while looking around listening to the ponies running the stand advertising their games and merchandise finishing her ice cream she came across an archery stand that were using novelty bows for obvious reasons seeing a little colt trying over and over to hit the targets set up to win a prize he seemed to be eying on the shelves but having no luck.

"poor kid" Eiro thought to herself feeling bad for him, as he was about to walk away she trotted up to him giving him a pat on the head "dont run off just yet" she said dropping a couple bits onto the table to pay for playing picking up the novelty bow she lined up all three of her allowed shots on the bow firing them simultaneously hitting the three targets clean in the center leaving the stand owner to look at the targets in awe, "what?" she started "i used to do archery with my dad when i was little" she giggled while taking the prize and giving it to the little colt.

"thank you miss" he said bowing his head before running back to what looked to be his sister, as Eiro waved and went back to browsing what the carnival had to offer.

16. James Dark War

"My name is Patient it a pleasure to meet you Ember and I am glad you are taking up my offer for this and I can promise you will not be disappointing and please there is no rush" he said with a smile on him as he felt happy the he might now finish one of his quest.

17. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

After a short exchange with the hotel receptionist, Romero and Risky took a lift to their hotel room. Romero used his key to unlock the door, revealing a much more grand and spacious room than either one of them had anticipated. Risky wheeled his grey cart and looked around in awe. His jaw was hanging, and his mouth wide open in a nutcracker-like smile. Romero soaked in the moment too. He remembered the room he got was relatively cheap. Perhaps he capitalized on a special offer he wasn't aware of. Romero's usually worried face eased back into a coy smile, feeling like he got his full money's worth.

"For once, I must owe you some respect. I ever excepted Mr. Penny-Pincher to splurge! Congrats on living a little!" Risky's comments met Romero warmly. Risky suddenly burst out in a short run. He jumped, and landed on one of the beds. "Wow, that's comfy! That's got to be one of the softest, yet supportive beds I've ever been on. Come, Rom! Feel it!" Romero grinned at his enthusiasm.

'It's much better than sleeping under a bridge. Isn't it, Risky? Soak it up. Enjoy it. You deserve it.

Romero sat down on the other bed. It was nice, but not as nice as Risky's excitement. Risky let himself soak into the linen sheet around him. He sank gently into the bed, a kind smirk on his face. Suddenly, it was gone. Risky sprang up out of bed, like something had bit him. He quickly collected his cart and headed for the door. Romero had a look of dismay on his face.

"What's the matter?"

"We're wasting our night, that's what's the matter! The carnival starts tonight, and here we are wasting our time lying in bed!"

"It starts tonight? I thought it was tomorrow?"

"No, now let's go!"

"Awh, I'm tired. I didn't sleep well on the train."

"I don't know what you're talking about! I slept fine on the train." Risky gave Romero a puzzled look. This came to Romero at no surprise. Compared to some places he sleeps, the trains were as comfortable as anywhere. Romero rolled over into the covers, and pulled them over his head.

"I'm going to sleep. The carnival's not going anywhere, I'll go tomorrow."

"Suit yourself! I'm off to have my night!"

"Just don't make too much noise when you come in."

"You got it, captain!" Risky collected his things, and prepared himself to take the Crystal Empire by it's hoofs.

#37 Rare80, 19 May 2014
    Last edited: 19 May 2014
  18. Aethelberdia

Wreck gazed at the garish festivities that were in place, and smiled to himself. The equines evidently enjoyed that which was loud, pointless and overly expensive. Not that Wreck could criticize them: he enjoyed much the same thing. "Quite the party," he muttered to nobody in particular. Making his way towards the festival, amid various odd glances, Wreck had his mind set on having a good time.
    It was time to get the party started.

#38 Aethelberdia, 22 May 2014
    Last edited: 31 May 2014
  19. James Dark War

When Patient looked at the time he then looked at Ember "Forgive me for leave right now but I must get back to my stall come and find me there when you get time and we can talk further on our trading with the crossbow I am near the palace entrance you can't miss me I am the only zebra here it a pleasure to meet you" he said slowly getting up and started to slowly walk off to his stall hoping she would come by later and talk about trading and probably to get to know her better a little bit he did felt bad leaving like that but he couldn't leave his stall for too long.

#39 James Dark War, 26 May 2014
    Last edited: 28 May 2014
  20. Rare80

Rare80 His Rareness

Risky pushed his cart through the entrance of the hotel. A cool breeze hit him as he stepped outside. Risky took a moment to survey his surroundings. The carnival was surprisingly close, and from the looks of it, it was already in full swing. 'They can start the party without me, but they can't finish it.' He drew a quick breath and headed off. On the way there he saw a brightly coloured dragon pass by him, and Risky greeted him with the sight tip of his flatcap. However, Risky wasn't sure if he noticed him. In no time, we was in the thick of the action. He was tempted to go on the rides, but felt bad about enjoying them without Romero by his side. So, he instead went over to the carnival games.

Carnival games had always interested Risky. They were really just games of chance. Sure, they had the potential outcome of winning a prize. However the true purpose of a carnival game is to have fun, not win. As long as a pony kept that in mind while playing, even if he lost it would still be money well spent. It's inevitable that a pony will come around that only wants to win, and nothing less. So when that pony plays, then loses; he'll get angry and will use very 'colourful' language to let the gamespony know about it. In a way, Risky empathized with the carnival gamespony. On the other hoof, some games are tipped so far into the gamespony's favor that NO ONE wins. Cheating isn't only a waste of money, but it most certainty isn't fun.

Risky had little interest in playing any of the games, but did more of his fare share of watching. Seeing chance at work was a beautiful thing to behold in Risky's eyes. To see a young stallion win a big prize for his marefriend, or seeing a small filly beat several adults at a shooting game; was very amusing and entertaining. One game in particular, caught Risky attentive and keen eyes.

The game itself was simple. There were a few small blue balls in which a pony had to throw into a hole cut into a large wooden plank that was held up at an angle. However, what caught Risky's eyes was that the prizes given were way too big and lofty for such an easy game. Usually the prizes were much smaller, or there were much smaller prizes available and the larger ones were obtained after trading in several of the smaller prizes. Something was definitely amiss. The gamespony for this stand was a tall, lanky pegasus with a long mane and a beard; delivered his salespitch. "Step right up, and play for one of these fabulous prizes. It's as easy as one , two , three! Just make all five balls into the hole there and we got ourselves a winner!" All five balls, an average pony would say "Oh, THERE'S the catch.", but not Risky. He was way too smart for that. Those keen and clever eyes of his, then caught where the game's snag was. Risky was never the guy to jump to conclusions, and had to prove it to himself first.

He walked up to the stand. The vendor greeted him with "Two bits, please.", and Risky promptly payed up. Seeing the balls up close was all the conformation he needed. However, he decided to at least appear to be interested in playing. So he threw the first ball missing the goal laughably short. "Ohhh, just a little shy here. Try putting some muscle into it." The next throw struck the wood just above the goal with a loud THUNK. "Take it easy, there. Even it out a little." The vendor didn't know that these two misses were intentional. The first was to see how well the ball bounced off the ground, the second was to see how well the balls bounced off the wood. Risky now had all the information he needed. If the game was winnable, just a second try would be all he needed to make all five balls in. He made the next two easily. He bounced them off the ground and they both went in the hole so accurately, that they didn't even make a noise as they went in. Risky took the last ball and placed it gently on the stand in front of him. "I won't throw this one, I've already lost anyway." The gamespony answered him with a "Fair enough." and Risky went back to collect his cart.

He brought it with him as he approached the gamespony again. Risky put on a wide smile. "Can I speak to you for a moment... in private?" Risky spoke with a very pleasent tone. The gamespony seemed uninterested.

"Are we talking business, or what?"

"You could say that." Risky's answer grabbed his attention. They quickly went behind the stand. Risky removed his flatcap, to show that he was being formal. He also dropped the pleasant act and got very serious. The vendor's eyes grew very wide.

"Hey, I know you! You're him! You're Risky! I saw you in Los Pegasus once about a decade back. You're the greatest con-pony I've ever seen!"

"...and you don't think I know a rigged game when I see one? I know that one of the balls is bigger than the others."

"So, what's it to you, pretty boy?"

"You're taking hard-earned money from innocent ponies, some of them foals even! You'd better start getting them a fair deal,... or else."

"Or else what?"

#40 Rare80, 28 May 2014
    Last edited: 28 May 2014