1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Collectors

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by HappyGoLuckyPone, 3 July 2012.

1. HappyGoLuckyPone

HappyGoLuckyPone Shocked and appalled!

I occasionally hear Bronies slagging off the old generations when they come up and Ill admit I really dont like G3 toys but I can see the appeal of G1 and G2 but regardless
    Iv heard collectors of all generations complaining about how Bronys slag the older generations off but thats understandable them being upset by that but what isnt understandable is how these very same collectors do the exact same thing with G4.

Iv been lurking on an MLP collectors forum which is naturally dominated by older collectors and they complain about FIM all the time and say how much they dislike it, comes across as the old guard disliking the sudden influx of new collectors.

Course this is in no way the majority, most love collecting ponies regardless.

what do you think?

#1 HappyGoLuckyPone, 3 July 2012
    Last edited: 31 December 2017
    Leon K Fox likes this.
  2. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

I once saw someone say that G4 ponies look like "aliens".

I present to you G3.5:

[​IMG]

Leon K Fox likes this.
  3. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

I find the hispter ish attitude of older collectors to be downright irritating. I see it in wrestling a lot as well, CM Punk became really popular last year after a shoot promo he did that got him really over with the fans and he has since become one of the main faces of the WWE, not quite THE face but nonetheless he's gained a lot of fans.

Now those who liked him before he became popular are bashing people who took a shine to him upon his push and saying they're "band wagon jumpers."

It's exactly the same thing here, just with ponies.

4. Takoto

Takoto is a cat.

To be fair, Bronies have brought a completely new sort of fandom to "My Little Pony". Previously, the fandom/community was made up of dedicated toy collectors who make customs, share ideas, and... that's about it. Fanart, fanfiction, fantheories, were rare. Bronies and casual My Little Pony: FiM fans have brought this whole new thing and for lack of better words modernized the community.
    That isn't bad at all, it's actually good in my opinion, however the older/original fans are probably quite... not used to any of this, which is why they don't like it. Also, alongside MLP:FIM and Bronies also brought the stereotypical "Rabid Bronies" and "asshole fans" and "people who talk about nothing but Pony R34" etc, etc. which, whilst is a minority, is a very, very loud minority, and makes not just bronies look bad, but the original fans too...

What bronies have brought to the community is good, but I don't blame the older gen. fans for being a bit overwhelmed or upset by some of it.

5. bobby.p

bobby.p #StayBased #MostWanted

ive been told I dont appreciate older gens
    sorry for not liking toy commericals from before I was born guys (okay maybe not quite that)
    but the nostialiga is not there
    yes i know that we would not be here today without them
    doesnt mean I can all my self a my little pony fan
    would not have this great fandom without bronies
    just the same old collectors, no offence to them but some take it too far
    I can see why a new group of people approching on something your found of can be worrying, but something you allways loved getting a gaint boost in interest, cant be a bad thing
    like the people who say your not a resi fan if you played after resi 4
    come on guys, really......

6. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

The attitude means would mean that you not allowed to be a fan of Dr. Who if you only seen it post 2005. I mean come on.

I appreciate the legacy of the older generations, but a division between generations in the fandom turning bitter is not good at all.
    Those bad bronies who create questionable fan content and give us a bad name... They can get upset with them if they want, but they shouldn't tar all G4 fans as responsible for it.

But I'll be fair here and say that I'm sure not every G1-3 collector is condescending of bronies. We will be all together in the upcoming Ponycon in Nott's and I think we'll get along fine. It is the same franchise after all with many many fans. It just seems to me that the loud and extreme ends of the fandom are upsetting other.

Hironolind likes this.
  7. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

One of my friends was one of the loud minority of G1-3 fans who were disgusted by the new community. Then they actually watched the show, and began collecting G4. I think the community's response to such an invasion of familiarity and ownership is adopting a strict "us and them" attitude and that's pretty much it. I see the same thing happen with a lot of Transformers fans but in a more subdued fashion. Robots in Disguise and the Michael Bay movies kicked up a lot of fuss with the original fans and brought in a lot of new fans with no understanding of what came before it, but it's not like there was zero crossover.
    Problem is, without rebooting the franchise and thus community would just die, and personally I think it's better to try and keep it fresh than to stick with what you know and cling to it after it goes a bit mouldy and falling apart, even if the reboots fall short of what you want. Comic fans know the deal.
    You'd be surprised, but thankfully I think the reboot Who hit the right notes for almost everyone (eventually)
    Yes, basically. And I agree with that, the more extreme sections of the fandom get on my nerves too. Vocal minorities, again.

8. Tamsin

Tamsin Gotta work for change x

Hmmm I'm a 21 year old collector and have collected all generations (except 3.5) and I don't find myself having a problem with any collectors whatsoever , I have no issues whatever folks collect. If you don't like other generations that's fine. I don't like Trixie or Gilda so :p lol :)

I hate to say it but this isn't true I'm members of numerous american forum and they've had fanfics etc for years, I wrote one of shipping between tic tac toe and gusty. But hey I'm not arguing with folks :) I like all MLP and all collectors are great lol

9. Mystia

Mystia I love Twilight Sparkle

Well i dont really care much for older gens but we're all MLP fans in the end and thats what really matters.
    I dont think those who make questionable mlp material are "bad bronies" theyre just drawing what they love and are now more capable to share thier work with the world (which wasnt really possible with older gens). To me it sounds like youre trying to divide G4 fandom up based on personal tastes.

maybe they just dont like it that we're making it that little bit more difficult to collect a new Gen of toys. To overly simplify Applejack would be a lot easier to get without bronies buying them all up.

10. Hironolind

Hironolind is arguing with a lorry.

I can sympathise with the older fans a bit as the passion the newer fans have can be a bit overwhelming, and I wouldn't be surprised if they feel like what was once a small tightknit community of nostalgics was being drowned out by the rather vocal surge of bronies. The vitriol directed at the older gens seems harsh as well, can't say the older toys appeal to me, bit too uncanny valley in the designs but don't see any reason to hassle those who are fans of them and some of the art people do of them is good.

On the subject of fan content of a less family orientated nature, I tend to just shrug it off, as long as it's kept low key and some child isn't going to accidently stumble upon it.

P.S. Sylvester McCoy is best Doctor. :)

11. Takoto

Takoto is a cat.

I know they had fanfictions and fanart- I came across fanart every now and again before G4, but I mean how much they had previously was very, very little compared to how much there is now. xD Though granted I never really checked too much.

12. BonBon

BonBon Honorary Pony

I have actually encountered a few people that are quite vocal in their loathing for what they dub "NuWho". I mean really, what's the point in hating the reboot? All three of the modern Doctors have been amazing. They're all great actors and bring a new dimension to the character. Though I have to say, as much as I like David Tennant some fans are getting on my nerves a bit because the only reason they like him is because he's sexy. Even as a straight guy, I have to admit he is pretty sexy. :p

But surely rebooting a franchise will result in people taking a genuine interest in the DW of the past? I only started really getting into it part of the way through ten's reign and as a result I've seen many episodes from every era.

I have to admit, I haven't really sat down and properly watched any episodes of older gen MLP, but I probably will get around to it at some point. xD

Silly Whovian, that's not how you spell Peter Davison and/or Matt Smith.

:p

Hironolind likes this.
  13. EmilythePegasister

EmilythePegasister Recognised Pony

I actually like the older generations, as you can maybe see the castle on my profile pic.
    I don't really like all the hate between the G1-G3 collectors and the G4 collectors, there is no point in it.
    It probably helped that I grew up with g2 and g3, or else I probably would not be collecting ponies.

Tamsin likes this.
  14. Aurum Noble

Aurum Noble Ferroequinologist

I have full respect for all the generations of My Little Pony, especially G1, because, without them, it would not have lead to the generation we all enjoy today: G4.

The real reason why some do 'slag-off' the older generations, is that they're oblivious to the evolution of the entire franchise, and although I do understand the hate for G3.5, it's the fact that they've yet to dive deep into Lauren Faust's concept drawings, because a lot of inspiration for FiM was taken directly from G1, and both G1 and G4 can be said to be seminal generations of MLP, because of their evident impact, and longevity.

After all, this is the same franchise, and we're only helping its evolution. UK PonyCon is reaching out to G4 now, and we're supposed to help create a synergy between longtime fans/collectors and fans that have just gotten into the franchise, thanks to FiM.

15. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I think that's a very good point. This sort of thing happened to the Watership Down fandom a few years back: for years we'd been based around the 1972 book and 1978 film, and then all of a sudden CITV showed the TV series -- which is very different from the book/film in a lot of ways, not least in being much less dark (until S3). It was a little disorientating to suddenly find that the gentle pace of our community had changed to something much louder and busier, and it did take a while to get used to it.

After a while, though, things settled down, and the new fans came to appreciate WD's heritage and more traditional culture, while we older fans came to enjoy the enthusiasm and energy the new generation had brought. That's the ideal. :)

16. Leon K Fox

While I don't condone Bronies giving fans of older generations flak for liking what they do in the slightest, I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least understand why Bronies look down on the older shows (the shows, not the fans of them)

Okay G1 isn't THAT terrible when you consider it was an 80's cartoon made specifically to try and generate hype for a toyline etc, I still find it quite hard to watch, the voices and characters irritate me and from the episodes I saw they mostly had the same personalities as one another, G1 Spike particularly annoyed me.

The other cartoons until G4/FiM had nothing redeemable about them whatsoever unlike G1 which to a very small extent did, again I'm a tad more lenient with that cartoon considering when it was made and the like. FiM is a huge step upwards for the franchise in terms of animation, voice acting, characterisation *sp* music etc and no matter how much I want to like FiM's legacy I just can't look past the things I mentioned above.

Plus I prefer the ponies looking more cartoony but still distinctly based on ponies/horses as they are in FiM. The older G1 to 3 (not 3.5) ponies were a tad uncanney valley (if you will) for my tastes since they looked like real ponies in terms of their shape but the areas there they didn't stook out a lot more to me and I didn't like it very much, this goes for both the shows and the toys.

17. Little Emerald

Little Emerald Currently addicted to: Monster Hunter

I thought I had posted here already? Oh well.

I'm actually a G1 fan myself. My sister had a few videotapes when we were little and I'll never forget the "Bright Lights" story arc. She was also a collector of G1 at the time. To this day I still say that was a factor to becoming the brony I am today.

I admit, I do not like Generation 3 or 3.5, and at meetups I tend to point out the toys in jest. I see the "hate" for G3/3,5 as a joke, but it seems some have taken the comments seriously.

18. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

It's kinda understandable for them to be at least a little frustrated. We get a lot of attention from all corners now, whereas they've been quietly collecting ponies for years with no recognition. That said, they can be a bit elitist about it.

I suppose it's like everything. There are a vocal minority who tend to complain a lot and a silent majority who are cool just to go with the flow. I imagine most collectors don't care either way.

19. QueenGusty

QueenGusty Celestia is my puppet..

I'm a G1-G3 collector and when the brony thing exploded I was on a hiatus because of the Core Shi-errr Seven and the G3.5s. Seeing the creativity that came out of the community really got me back into it and I'm bloody grateful that I'm part of the herd again AND ITS THANKS TO THE BRONIES. So nope, I got no problems.

I mean maybe its cause I'm gay and childfree but a lot of the time, the "older" collectors are mumsy types and other than ponies theres not a lot to connect with there. Bronies are more on my level. :shrugs:

Carrie

Maia likes this.
  20. Leon K Fox

For a lot of the ones I've seen saying they can be a "bit" elitist is a bit of an understatement.

Not saying this applies to all collectors of previous generations but I've seen so many that think they're so much better than we are just because they like something that's not "the in thing." as it were. Again, it's a hipster mentality and it's letting the crowd dictate what you like and don't like, just taken to the other extreme.