1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Collectors

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by HappyGoLuckyPone, 3 July 2012.

1. QueenGusty

QueenGusty Celestia is my puppet..

You kids get offa mah lawwwwN!!!! lol.

Carrie

Leon K Fox likes this.
  2. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

I've seen a few who complain about the fact that Bronies get more attention than them :I

Leon K Fox likes this.
  3. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

With all due respect, I've only ever seen Bronies poke fun at some previous gen toys that ARE really bad (So Soft G3.5 Rainbow Dash being a recent example for me Personally) isn't wishing death on previous generations. Nor is saying why one finds FiM to be far superior to previous generations of the show, toys etc. I feel as though the G1 to 3.5 collectors/watchers are over reacting because an iteration of the franchise that came after the one they liked is more popular and they have sour grapes as a result.

Some Bronies may well be really vocal about it, but doing the same back doesn't help anyone and comes off as obnonxious to me.

I mean no offence to you when I say this, of course.

Aurum Noble and Arlo like this.
  4. Leon K Fox

That Hippo comment is primarily made about the G3.5 toys, and if I'm honest it's not without basis, those toys really DO look like mutated hippos. (So Soft Rainbow Dash is still fresh in my mind from a mini meet on Wednesday)

Attached Files:

Aurum Noble likes this.
  5. Leon K Fox

Nah, I don't see how someone could say those looked like hippos, they looked like ponies as far as shape etc goes, a bit too much for my liking (uncanney valley etc) as I touched on above. It's G3.5 toys that look like hippos, see the picture I posted above.

6. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Pony

I dunno... the G1 MLP toys kinda look like hippos to me.. :p
    [​IMG]

Personally, I don't have an issue with the previous generation figures/toys. (I actually think some of them are better then the G4 ones.) I do dislike with the cartoons though, for similar reasons that Lauren Faust dislikes a lot of TV shows aimed at young girls. The first G1 film that came out wasn't too horrible, and I don't know much about G2... but G3 and G3.5 are... yeah...

7. Tamsin

Tamsin Gotta work for change x

It seems this thread is now insulting g1 collectors, now do not take offence but the g1s were the most look alike to the show and in my opinion look way more like horses than any other gen. :/

I collect all gens and personally cannot stand it when bronies argue but this thread is asking for it. It's already slagging off g1 ponies :/

QueenGusty likes this.
  8. Leon K Fox

How? Okay some people have said the G1 toys look like hippos (which I disagree with even if I don't like then due to theml looking too much like real horses, same goes for them all bar for G3.5 really. I love horses but again it was an uncanney valley thing for me. I'm not dissing G1 toys, I'm merely explaining why I personally don't like them/the shows made for them. The only one that gets mega dissing around here from what I've seen is G3.5, and plenty of original collectors hate them, not just Bronies.

9. Tamsin

See what I mean ? Like I said in my post *no offence* but earlier in the thread people were complaining that folks were calling g4s aliens ? Yet it's ok for them to call g1s hippos .

This thread should be deleted

10. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

Whilst I never watched the old shows, I DO like the ponies, except G3.5 ones.

The customs some people do are amazing:
    [​IMG]

Maia likes this.
  11. Leon K Fox

Because a few (not all) people said the G1 toys look like hippos or just said they disliked them for various reasons? With all due respect that's hardly enough reason to delete a thread. It's just pointing out the elitism of some older collectors which you can not deny. Again it's not them all (not tarring with the same brush etc) but they're certanily vocal enough that it deserves to be commented on.

No one here has looked down on older collectors either, regardless of their views on G1 etc, not in this thread at least

Yeah, the customs of G1 to 3 actually look better than a lot of the official ones in my opinion. That one in particular is awesome.

12. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

G1 toys are cute, hippo-shaped or not. The only toys I don't like are 3.5 and maybe the Seaponies (shoo bee doo), though I don't collect any generation.
    That aside, it's not unreasonable to be asking for show-accurate toys these days. Maybe in the 80s it was harder, but not now. There are plenty of collectors and customisers on this forum alone of multiple generations so saying accurate toys is the entire extent of Brony interest is a bit narrow-sighted anyway.

13. Leon K Fox

I agree whole heartedly.

14. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

The only "show accurate" toys I've seen being asked, really, for is plushies, and Pinkestia which in all honesty, is fair enough, really. If I wanted a plushie of Finn from Adventure Time, I'd expect him to have his bear hat, as opposed to, I dunno, a lemur hat. And with Pinkestia, she's a character that's white. It'd be like releasing a toy of Batman in an all green batsuit.

15. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

I bet it's happened.
    Edit: Oh look I'm right.
    [​IMG]
    There's also Green Lantern Batman but that's accurate.

Merriweather and Leon K Fox like this.
  16. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

And that is something I would never buy. Especially since there's alternatives. If Hasbro want Pinkestia, at least give us a normal Celestia too! Though, they are doing that soon :)

17. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

I like hippos.

[​IMG]

18. QueenGusty

QueenGusty Celestia is my puppet..

Hoestly the only gen which actually SCARES me is G3.5. I have a G3.5 Scootaloo and took her out to show dad I was representing all ponies in my office right now...very quickly put her away again once I realised she was staring at me.

Although I will say don't look at the G1 eye placement too closely. That will freak you the frag out. At least all the other gens corrected that mistake.

Carrie

Tamsin and EmilythePegasister like this.
  19. Tamsin

What I'm saying is
    They don't though :/ they look like big fat cob ponies xD

Maia likes this.
  20. Hironolind

Hironolind is arguing with a lorry.

That statement in addition to your chosen avatar.. got me wondering if I need to prepare some tranquiliser :D