1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Collectors

Discussion in 'My Little Pony G1-G3 Merch' started by HappyGoLuckyPone, 3 July 2012.

1. Tamsin

Tamsin Gotta work for change x

I got that but it's still rude to even comment :/ if I saw someone wearing a hoodie I thought was hideous I'd keep it to myself .

This thread is causing arguments for no good reason

2. Nameless

Nameless Well-Known Pony

I dunno guys... being offended by someone's opinion on toy equines can lead to leprosy...

Ben1138 and Floingle like this.
  3. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

facehoof.

People are allowed to express their opinions. It's not like one persons opinion is going to ACTUALLY hurt you. If you don't think they look like hippos (which I don't), then you don't. If you do, you do. It's not going to hurt to have differing opinions ESPECIALLY if they're not HURTFUL opinions.

Leon K Fox likes this.
  4. Arlo

Arlo Explosions

It's annoying haha. Opinions aren't going to kill you T_T

5. Absentia

Absentia Zero Zero Six

Agreement.

I'm not pleased with the direction the thread has gone anyway.
    Sure there is the old saying 'Everyone is entitled to their opinion'. But I'm also a believer in the use of tact and perhaps holding back views that can potentially cause offence.
    So with that in mind, let's calm it down.

6. Tamsin

Good idea the sarcasm in this thread is becoming overwhelming

7. Maia

Maia Active Pony

I dunno, always loved my little ponies and grew up with the franchise... eh. I really can't stand the general brony attitude towards the older generations though. OR the attitude of older gen collectors who will refuse to give the G4 show a chance.
    The only thing I dislike about G4 is the style is far too simplistic for me, (for the main ponies anyway) I prefer the body types of the princesses - and from certain angles they look really dumb - not like horses at all. I like the G1 and G3 toys the best - they make good bases for custom ponies. Standard G4 brushables are awful in my opinion (wrong eye shapes, wrong colours, too small) The best animated counterpart is G4 by miles though. So my favourite gens are tied between G1 and G4.
    So yeah I'm on the fence about it xD
    G1 ponies look a bit like hippos
    G4 ponies look like mice/ducks with hooves.
    Both of them are cute!
    Respect goes both ways people.

QueenGusty and Tamsin like this.
  8. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

Um, I don't know how many people you're refering to, but I was never once sarcastic :S

Critical of the older shows and toys perhaps (again, I have my own reasons, detailed them already) but never sarcastic.

9. Pon4

Pon4 Unloved by Al

I'm solely a fan of G4 but I firmly prefer G1-3 style of brushables.

10. Tamsin

Was I referring to you as such ?
    No, not at all.

11. Leon K Fox

Leon K Fox Your resident horse!

Hence why I asked, I didn't know whether you were or not.

With all due respect though, I do think you are being a teensy bit too sensitive here, as no one has actually made any remarks about G1 Collectors or even really the ponies themselves bar for one or two people saying they look like hippos (which again I can't really see, but I digress) it's not like we have a political argument ensuing or anything.

Far worse things could (and have) been said about the G1 Ponies, not on this website to my knowledge (I could be wrong of course) but still.

Plus, people not being overtly keen on the older generations is something that is to be expected on a Brony dedicated website. Not saying hatred for older fans should be condoned, but that most MLP fans these days came through FiM which is drastically different to older generations, and I must admit I am one of those people. The older generations do nothing for me at all outside of the customs people make using G1's and G3's.

12. WoodenCoyote

WoodenCoyote My Little Magpie

Yes, the G1 toys are certainly zaftig compared to their recent counterparts. Some of them are just bigger portioned because they're bigger figures scale-wise. But my G1 Seashell is defiantly a fatty blorp. She even has a potbelly! I'm making her a mini laptop and a headset so she can play MMORPGs.

[​IMG]

On my pony shelf, everyone is one big happy family. My plump G1 ponies are the older generation. The mares are softer, more maternal and all the baby ponies are their children. The stallions, with huge hooves and stocky builds, are the uncles and fathers. Meanwhile, the smaller G3 are the up-and-comers. They're sleeker then the older ponies and their colours are more vibrant - the young ponies just entering adulthood.The G4s are new - I only have a few brushables right now - so I have to figure out where they belong.

Maia and HappyGoLuckyPone like this.
  13. Silvermoon

Silvermoon Active Pony

Reading stuff like this upsets me. why can't we all be just one happy pony family no matter what we collect?

growing up in the 80s my childhood would natually be the G1 ponies (who i love to death) but, as with everything i grew out of all things 'childish'. it wasn't until G3 that i got my pony love back. now while i agree with a few things that people say about the show (it was a tad too....girly) i believed that the 'death' of mlp began with the G3 'core seven' stuff and was....completed by the release of the G3.5 line *shudders*
    so when G4 came out i was ecstatic to think that Hasbro was returning to 'G1 ways' with unicorns, pegasus', earths and 'evil' villains while learning 'lesson'. say what you want about the G1 show it was more or less like the G4 show we know and love today.

i love all three lines of G1, G3 (bar C7 & G3.5) and G4. you don't like G1? fine by me, that's your right and i will not force my opinion onto you that you should also like it but please show the same respect that i have to you and not....as people have said 'slag off' the G1 era because you don't like it. there will always ALWAYS in EVERY community will be those that will be...'G1-ist's' all the way, the trick is to ignore them and not let them get to you because if you do then they've succeeded in annoying you and dividing the community.

a line/show must move on throughout the years, it cannot stay in the same place from where it was. something that worked so well in one year will not work well in another. TV and retail are a fickle thing and things must change with the times.

this is how i see things, if you do not then i feel sad for you as you cannot see the joy it brings myself and others.

14. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Completely agree, and I've occasionally seen this happen in my other main fandom as well (Old/Classic Doctor Who vs New Doctor Who/Doctor Who 2005 Revival*... Actually for that matter I've seen far too much of RTD Fans vs Stephen Moffat Fans and a whole load of other messes not related to what we're talking about here. There's a reason why, even though I still go on the forum for their general areas, I don't post in doctor who threads on gallifreybase anymore.

* Don't get me wrong I have no problem with those who say they don't like new who or don't like old who, it's the ones who try and claim that you're wrong to like it. And as someone who likes both old and new who, as well as both new who showrunners, this arguing got really old really quickly.)

I also remember g1 from my childhood. The toys more than the show but I did have one mlp book I believe. I never had any g1 pony toys (I was more into Polly Pocket and Sylvanian Families, and to a lesser extent Barbie) as far as I recall BUT several of my school friends did and my cousin who was a few years older than me had looooads of pony toys. So yes I did play with ponies when I was little.

Anyway, yes you're right it's best to ignore people who act like that, I just wish everyone can get along like you said at the beginning of your post.

DerpyWhooves and Mane25 like this.
  15. Stormswirl

Stormswirl Addicted to Science!

As a collector of all the gens, the main concern (which could turn people hostile) would be the fact, MLP never really had a 'spotlight' on it.

I dislike a lot of the bashing bronies do to the previous gens as well, however, we need to remember, bronies are fans of the latter incarnation of the mlp history, those of us who have been around the show since 1985 should actually be accommodating and not all 'well who are these punks coming into our fandom and ruining our applecarts?'

I see it from both sides, however, one of my own very valid concerns, is there are a lot of bronies who are now buying up previous gen collectors stuff, which as you can imagine, is pushing prices up. before G4, things had been settled for years, so prices were somewhat stable for toys, (specifically from G1). A lot of the older collectors i still speak to are actually downright rude to new fans, because of their 'threat' to the stable market for collectors. This shouldn't be used to brandish an entire fandom and to hate said fandom, because G4 has had the most *interesting* toys from a collectors point of view ever in MLP's history.

Collectors should be happy bronies are providing hasbro with a market so we get new and cool toys to collect, and if they want to be miserable, they can sit with their MLP VHS tapes and just shut up to be honest. It's becoming boring seeing people whine about bronies in the older gen forums, because their argument is so without base it's actually a pointless post.

I am glad though some of us from the previous gens are talking and being friendly with bronies, and that does make me smile. A LOT of the MLP G4 lore links to the older gens, and it is almost like a homage to those of us who have been with the fandom since it's inception. Also, i'm glad hasbro did away with pony points, they were a pain in the backside lol, having to destroy a mint box for a token.

Sorry for the slight wall of text, but i do want you to see, not all of us old skool collectors are miserable gits.

Keep Calm and pony on ;)

Sleepypony

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  16. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

It's interesting... I'm seriously considering going to PonyCon this year (though it depends a lot on location and how long they take to announce said location) and that's not something I'd have said when I was new to the brony fandom a couple of years ago. Although I doubt any of the older gens will ever supplant G4 in my affections, I have come to feel that I actually appreciate this fandom more for understanding and exploring its roots. I read a G4 fanfic the other day ("The Moonstone Cup") which references the G1 villain Tirek, and I'm glad I got the reference, something I might not have done if I'd refused ever to go outside the "walls" of the G4 fandom. There are plenty more examples, such as he G4'd Firefly background pony in the first of the IDW comics.

I do have a certain degree of sympathy for the "new fans pushing up prices" thing, though only to an extent. It happened (on a smaller scale) about a decade ago in the Watership Down fandom when the CITV cartoon was aired and suddenly we old-school WD fans experienced a large influx of new fans who'd never read the book or seen the original film. But I think it was vastly preferable to having the old fandom preserved in aspic with a big sign on the door saying "No newbies allowed!" I was pleased, reading reports of last year's PonyCon, that there was generally mutual interest, interaction and friendship between generations. That's how it should be. :)

17. Bridle Timeout

Bridle Timeout I Love Twilight Sparkle

I personally find the history of MLP a fascinating subject and would like to learn as much as I can. I've purchased four G1 ponies since becoming a brony, and I would like to add more older gen ponies to my collection. Much of the older MLP animation doesn't resonate with me, but there are a few gems... "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and the G3 special "A Very Minty Christmas" in particular. :) Some of the toy lines are interesting though, and I think many of the old ponies are quite awesome. I really hope to go to PonyCon if it's being held in a location near-ish to me this year. :)

And just remember, many of the concepts that we see in "Friendship is Magic" came from when Lauren Faust was a little girl and playing with her G1 ponies... :)

18. Hampshire Brony

Hampshire Brony Shaun of the dead

October 11th-12th, Leicester

I've only paid attention to the older gens since getting into G4.

From an animation point of view, G1 looks and feels like an 80's cartoon (duh). Newborn Cuties is just terribad, though the animation is so poor that it becomes funny.
    The figures? In the PonyCon '13 premeet, I got a Tomy Flutteryshy and a G1 <something> next to each other. The G1 really did look like they'd eaten a few more pies. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I do remember in the MLP history panel, discussion that the G1-G2 change was bigger drama in the collecting community then than Princess Twilight or Derpy speaking are now.

19. Bronicus

Bronicus Habitual Pony

Being an older Brony I like the G1 and G2 ponies and think they are pleasing to the eye and they have a tactile feel to them, cant say im a fan of the original tv series though, but I really like MLP FIM as it has good stories, good morals and has helped me through some rough times.

20. Pastel Punk

I can appreciate the views of both sides. I myself am a G1 collector now.
    I don't mind the newer toys myself. My eldest daughter enjoys them, but she also loves the G1 and G3 ponies too.
    We both enjoy the G1 and MLP FiM cartoons. And I'll be honest, it was FiM that got me back into the fandom. So technically speaking I'm both a toy collector and a brony lol.