1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Creating a Discord server?

Discussion in 'Community Suggestions' started by remnants, 1 May 2016.

1. remnants

remnants Pony

So for those of you who don't know, there's this browser & Desktop program called Discord, which is a text and voice chat program. I've been using it since last year more or less when it came out and I've fallen in love with it. I know we've got the IRC channel, and the TS3 channel, but I thought I'd suggest to the admins/mods the creation of a Discord server too.

2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not a Discord user myself and can't give you a definitive answer -- but could it overcome two of the big reasons we don't have an official Skype group? a) Poor handling of big group chats; b) poor moderation facilities.

3. remnants

remnants Pony

I'll answer B first since it ties into A. The mod features are very good, allowing you to set up -if needed- specific permissions for each and every user, by the use of its "roles" features. The options range from full control over server features, right down to not even being able to read or send messages. Plus the different channels in a server can grant channel-by-channel permissions for each role you set up, including forbidding certain roles from seeing or typing in a channel. Leading in to your first question: If a user is being disruptive somehow and you want to punish them, you can simply set them to a role without any permissions, kick them, or outright ban them (one thing to note about setting them to a 'silenced' role is that you have to remove them from other roles that do have the permissions you wish to remove)

As for handling large groups, the fact that servers can have as many channels as they want lets you set up channels to avoid chat clutter such as spoiler channels, off-topic channels such as gaming, etc. It also has the ability to have bots in the server, which can be set up provide automod functionality such as rate limit enforcement, and controlling who says what with "keywords" to prevent swearing etc if so desired.

4. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

we dont have an actual UKoE one, but the main TS group does have a Discord server for when TS misbehaves. Personally I hate discord, i much prefer Teamspeak, but since the last update, my TS on my laptop doesnt want to work. I'm usually on my main PC anyway, but over the weekend ive been confined to discord =c

5. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

Personally, I am a fan of Discord, it's quick, efficient and it's very easy to setup and manage. Plus the development team behind it are very intune with it's audience.

While you raise some good points on why discord is a good communication platform, at this time we currently have the IRC and the Teamspeak in order to fulfil these needs. Perhaps in the future then we may return to the idea of Discord if needs be! Or if the community would prefer such a solution.

6. BLame

BLame That Devonshire Mug.

I never liked Teamspeak personally, but I've loved Discord so far, I'd love to see an UKoE server!

7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

#7 Silvarrn, 29 May 2016
    Last edited: 29 May 2016
    CrikeyoRilley, Nekky and Silver Broom like this.
  8. Alteran

Alteran Horse Noises

There's a few of us on Discord now already!

That was quick!

Silvarrn likes this.
  9. Stormblaze

Stormblaze Purple song pone

so whats the moderator job? because only admin can really do anything on discord =/

10. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

In all context the channel is setup to run itself, there's an auto mod in there that'll catch out most text stuff and log people joining and leaving the server and it'll mute them if they cause an issue. Voice moderation, escalated cases and catching out anything the bot doesnt catch out is what the all the staff are there for, along with the 'banter'

For full context, here's the permissions on the Moderator Role
    upload_2016-5-31_20-49-56.png
    upload_2016-5-31_20-50-4.png

Alteran and Sunsetstreamer like this.