1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Deck Diagnostics

Discussion in 'MLP Collectible Card Game (CCG)' started by Max Apogee, 27 January 2014.

1. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

So, we have this shiny new section of the forum, let's put it to some good use :D

This thread is all about discussing deck builds. Here you can ask for advice about a deck you've built, discuss techniques etc. The best way to post a deck is by using the Ponyhead database, they have a list of all the current cards and a deck builder as well.

To kick us off, here are a couple of decks I've built...

First up is the Fluttershy deck. The idea behind this one is the use of Caretakers and Critters to boost power values of cards which will make it easier to reach problem targets and help in face-offs. I've not had a great deal of success with this deck, though I've attributed this mostly to poor shuffles, I'm sure if I can get a decent starting hand from this deck it'll do fairly well.

Secondly is my Rarity deck. The idea behind this one is primarily preventing the other player from playing or moving cards to problems by increasing the AP cost to do so. Secondarily, Inspired can be very handy when it comes to face-offs, and Swift on the blue cards makes it easier for me to move cards to problems. I've had more success with this than with fluttershy, though I'm not sure if that's down to better cards or better shuffling.

#1 Max Apogee, 27 January 2014
    Last edited: 28 January 2014
  2. Stargazer

Stargazer In love with a witch and proud bf to Tak

Ah it's good to have a thread for this :D.

Now OT, @Max Apogee I just had a quick look through your Rarity deck and I have a couple quick questions. The first is how do you fair with getting getting your blue power on the board in the early game? and also how consistent is your deck with boosting Rarity on turn 2. From what I've seen so far most of the time a rarity deck should be aiming to flip her to her boosted form on turn 2.

As for the cards I'm liking most of the choices, though I would say remove your one copy of "The Big Guns" as It's not doing anything for you as you have neither RD nor Pinkie in this deck. From there it'll mainly be trying to improve consistency, so where possible try and have 3 ofs of the good cards/the cards you will always want to play, cards like holy dash as she has a lot of power and can help your slower white cards, and yellow parasprites because discarding at random is very powerful.

One final thing before I go, which is mostly just my opinion. Have you considered the friend "Rising Star"? It maybe me just rating this card too highly, but given that you have Rarity as your main he has the same overall cost as Noteworthy but gives you the ability to exhaust him to reveal a troublemaker more or less for free. You only have 5 troublemakers so the effect may not be used too often, but being able to fast track troublemakers out is a rather powerful ability as they can start causing havoc with your opponent before they've had a turn to build up on it's problem, and laying down something like a yellow parasprite face up turn 1 can really slow your opponent down.

3. Max Apogee

Max Apogee Five gold and a party!!

Thanks for your suggestions :D

To answer your questions, I actually had more luck getting blue onto the board with the Rarity deck than I did getting white onto the board with the Fluttershy deck, though again I put this down to inconsistent shuffling. And as for getting rarity to flip, I've not no issues with that either, I might have a look though my problem deck see if I can find a few more 1+1 starter problems to make it a bit easier.

Thanks for pointing out about The Big Guns, I'm sure I had a reason for that one to be in there (most likely I had a Rainbow Dash card in a previous version of the deck which I replaced and didn't think to replace that one) Also, thanks for your tip about Rising Star, I saw how useful that could be on Saturday so I definitely think I'll be making space for that one in a future revision of the deck ;)

I got quite a few new cards on saturday, so when I next have some time off to go though them and my existing cards, I'll see what I can do to refine both decks.

4. Stargazer

No worries, here to help where I can. My only concern about the blue was you had only about 6 no requirement blue friends in your deck. If you find consistency to be an issue in the future try have about 2 more no requirement blues.

As for the problem deck remember you get to choose which problem you start on before you shuffle the rest of the deck, so you don't need to load up on the easy ones (you also don't want to make it easy on your opponent late game with too many easy problems. Just make sure you have at least one easy starting problem that you can pull out at the start.

5. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Sorry if this thread got buried under my recent thread splurge. I just thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread for each Mane character/colour set. So as to discuss their merits/flaws in separation from the others.

6. Stormswirl

Stormswirl Addicted to Science!

well my daughter has just got her deck, and poor old daddy needs one to play her against... (i used to harsh her with magic :p) but yea, i have no clue on where to get the boosters, i only have the RD/Rarity deck box thing, so will probably be poking about this bit of the forum for a while ;)

SP

7. Silvarrn

Silvarrn Wonderbolt

I can't sing Card Team's praises higher, best service for my collection of card games has always been from them. They will wait till everything is available before shipping through, so keep that in mind.

OT: I must say, I've never seen an AJ leading deck she doesn't seem that hard to flip, from a glance a Orange Blue deck might work great for her... I might see how plausible such a deck is, could counter a double YP without any serious loss with stubborn

8. Stargazer

I'm not sure about the YP. Stubborn applies while the character is exhausted, it can still provide it's power, a situation YP does not cause on it's own. If your referencing AJ second boosted ability, it is triggered when something is dismissed, requiring it to have been on the field before hand. As YP forces you to discard from your hand not dismiss AJs ability won't trigger.

Edit: but then AJ would seam to be the perfect counter to the Pinkie/control deck. the removal/stall is much less effective, and honesty has a wealth of discard effects to help disrupt their control plans. Also don't forget honesty card do some interested high power plays. Their are cards which can exhaust to give their power to another friend, give them hard hat for stubborn and you've doubled you power output from that card (put it on Big Mac who has a power of 4!)

#8 Stargazer, 28 January 2014
    Last edited: 28 January 2014
  9. Fluxing

Fluxing Pony

http://ponyhead.com/deckbuilder?v1c...1x2-164x1-179x2-182x1-188x2-196x2-203x1-209x1

I was previously running TwilightApple, but found the apple part lacking a goal within the deck.

This deck sees purple bringing the big guns with Spring Forward and Ursa Vanquisher and other cards for movement.

The yellow side is general Fluttershy shenanigans - an easy flip and easy movement.

(I have all the cards listed, and most others in the set, so please do suggest edits as you see fit!)

10. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

got my own deck yesturday gonna run Dash when i get to look at what primary skills the other colors have i might remove white from the deck.

11. Mr.Offspring

Mr.Offspring Fancy pony

If you want to play a few games, you can add me on Skype. I'll finish building my deck this afternoon.

12. Eiro

Eiro Cutie Cuddly Wuddly Huggily Princess

that would be fun but annoyingly i dont have a web cam for my laptop.

13. Con

Con Pony

There are a lot of names for these background ponies. :L

14. erddie

erddie Drumming Pegasus

Well, after finally getting a deck together after getting some of the Vinyl Scratch deck sleeves, I ended up with this Rainbow Dash headed Raridash Deck. My main idea here is to keep a good balance - I've tried to spilt my colours across the deck as evenly as possible - which ended up perfectly apparently - while giving priority to getting easy cards to problems quickly and easily - hence some cheaper cards, though swift will definitely be a big help here.

15. spikefire

spikefire Half of BUCK registration

here is my deck so far, im strapped for cash at the moment and hope to build it up more but currently my friends are finding it a pain in the neck to deal with. have fun with it.
    sugar rush

16. SweetSparkle

SweetSparkle Nerdy Pony

http://ponyhead.com/deckbuilder?v1c...8x2-159x1-160x3-161x2-164x2-179x2-187x2-194x2

So this is my ShySparkle deck :)

I already run a Shy Sparkle deck but a little bit different from this as I don't have a lot of cards at the moment (will be posting on the haves and wants thread next!) This is my first overly thought out deck so far and although I deck build in MTG I'm better at drafting then normal deck building >.< So any advice is more than welcome, I think I'm trying to go for a fast swarm/aggro style (which I'm calling Flutter-rush), using my critters and their yellow friends to get confronting problems fast, with my purples for support, Rare Find and Spring Forward helping me to confront problems my opponents are at and winning faceoffs while Lady Justice debuffs my opponents, Twilight (all team organizer) to gain me an extra action point here or there if I need it while Fluttershy (GC) takes one of my opponents. Three Yellow parasprites as they can be nasty early game (and with enough luck, later in the game too!) and some events and resources to help us along too.

What do we think?
    Anyone else run anything similar? Any cards I should include/take out/run more of? All help appreciated!

17. Stargazer

I was looking through my cards and decided to make the following deck:

http://ponyhead.com/deckbuilder?v1c...63x3-85x3-104x3-117x2-119x3-124x3-127x3-160x3

Basically the deck revolves around the purple and blue self boosting friends and the assortment of faceoff manipulation cards they have at their disposal. The pink is in there purely to make use of the interaction between boosted Twilight and A Vision of the Future for further faceoff manipulation, and Forest Owl for further power boosting, and for a bit of colour fixing.

18. spikefire

it seems a bit... inconsistent. i like the idea of running barn owl but in your deck you have way to many expensive cards to pull it off and no great way of generating cheap power. it seems like it would give the opponent too long to set up plays. i would maybe add more cheap cards and cards with no cost that are cheaper to stabalize you early game.

SweetSparkle likes this.
  19. spikefire

i like your deck but royal guidance seems like a dead card to me. while good i would rather run the one drop no requirment cards in their colours instead. other than that i like where it is going.

SweetSparkle likes this.
  20. Stargazer

I'm going to assume this was directed at me.

I'll explain some of my reasonings. On the matter of expensive cards, 3 actions is not too high (given in a lot of games you'll have 3 actions per turn from turn 2/3) and easy to play with the occasional studious trigger and cards like Cloudchaser (to make them cheaper) and Spike, Take a Letter (to give out a few actions). On the pink part of the deck, I need to have 2 power in play in one card and you can't get cheaper than what I'm using. The only way the consistency can be changed (without losing the key cards) is by adding in some Comet Tail for that extra purple power. If I'm missing something please let me know.

A note on Forest Owl; while his main use is to buff several friends he can also be used for colour fixing, as his buff can be used for fulfilling the power requirements on cards.

Edit: I've dropped the 2 Gotta Go Fast for 2 Comet Tail, and changed the 2 Emerald Green for 2 Sweetie Sunrise (as I only need 1 blue power to get started).

#20 Stargazer, 18 February 2014
    Last edited: 18 February 2014