1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Disney Movies!

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Ariel, 7 November 2014.

1. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

The Rescuers.
    No one talks about The Rescuers.
    No, not the sequel, The Rescuers Down Under
    If I get the chance such as this, I would talk how the VHS tape from the '80s captivated me like no other Disney film in me and my brother's old video collection. Now I'm in the post-growing up phase I became more perceptive to subtexts and emotional highs than I ever had as a kiddy, watching this again for the songs would reduce me to tears. It happened five times in one viewing in 2010. Next time I will blub one more time because I have yet to take in one more moment with the orphan's rescue by the two mice.

Besides Saving Mr Banks, my last Disney viewing was Mulan in February, for the first time. I have yet to see Mary Poppins, Tarzan, the films from the WWII period and especially Song of the South. :p

I don't think I can cover all my Disney memories in one post but that's my introduction of what's to come. :)

2. Ariel

Ariel What would I pay to stay here beside you...

oh my word i loved the rescuers, and so much more than the rescuers down under, so many people seem to have either forgotten about it or just don't talk about it
    kind of like Basil the Great Mouse Detective, because it exists too!
    There are other mice other than Mickey and the little dressmakers for Cinderelly!

3. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

Yeah, what's with those cartoon mice? They're bloomin' saints!! Fievel from American Tail (not Disney) is another hero of mine. My fursona if you can call it that, is also a mouse.

Ariel likes this.
  4. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

Personally I prefer Rescuers down under than the original. I mean come on Down Under is what the first movie should've been!

5. Ariel

[​IMG]

We all have our preferences after all!

6. Starscream759

Indeed we do. Indeed we do.

7. Open Book

Open Book Now with Breaking Bad.

Beauty and the beast is back again on DVD. (Really hate how the DVDs are treated like gold and that you can't buy some of them secondhand without paying more than a new copy because they know which ones are the golds)
    Love most of them (I'm one of those who love frozen, can't hide that) still havnt seen Oliver or basil. Home on the range, Atlantis and treasure planet have been the worst for me (been a while seeing them, is a re-watch worth it?) only a few of the live action stuff is great like Mary Poppins. But the great ones have not died. VIva Disney.

8. Ariel

I found Atlantis and Treasure Planet to be among my favourites actually! I guess they do stray away from the Disney-esque storybook path.
    I want to say you're crazy for not liking Treasure Planet (ya crazy lol), I thought it was one of the best ones from it's "forgotten era" and feel like it's pretty underrated and forgotten about. It had great quotes, fantastic music and a classic story with a cool twist to it. I'd definitely recommend you give it another watch and if you still don't like it, well what are you gonna do? haha :)

Also I love Frozen, but the amount of negativity people put towards it is kind of affecting me sometimes and I just get that instant "bleh, Frozen" reaction, even though I don't really mean it.

9. Starscream759

Personally I like Frozen, I can see why people might find it overrated but I like it nonetheless. Elsa's defiantly my favourite in the whole movie. As for things like Treasure Planet and Alantis, Treasure Planet I've actually seen and I do remember seeing it when it came out in cinemas and honestly it's not that bad of a movie actually. Yeah it's nothing brilliant it's just retreading a story we know of...in space that is but it's a good movie. The only thing I don't like about that movie is Ben the Robot he just comes off as a poor man's Genie to me. Alantis on the other hand, I have not seen all the way through and I have only seen the opening minutes of it so I can't really say if it was good or not.

10. Ariel

I have to be honest, I could have done without BEN, :S
    I get why he's in it and he's important for the story, but I feel like they overdid it for trying to use him as comic relief. he was just too loud! haha

11. Starscream759

Unlike the Gargoyles from The Hunchback of Notre Dame he actually HAD a purpose in the story. Them on the other hand, they were just added in just so the kids would find something light hearted about the movie.

12. Ariel

you gotta love the gargoyles though haha
    plus think how much darker a movie it would have felt without them or the goat to be honest! lol
    Comic Relief is needed in Disney films to help the whole kid-friendly thing, but I still feel like BEN was just annoying most of the time, although needed :s that might just be me though

13. Starscream759

Let's just agree to disagree about the Gargoyles then.

finalsight likes this.
  14. Ariel

guessing you didn't like them too much then :s
    [​IMG]

15. Starscream759

Yes pretty much that.

16. Adam Burt

Adam Burt Recognised Pony

Do watch almost all Disney movies. Remember watching Cinderella, all the time at school when it raining. Was used to be obsessive with Disney Dinosaur, now so far Disney Movie I'm into are Forzen and Toy Story series. Don't have any favorite Disney quato, but do have favorite Disney song, Zero to Hero, Hercules. And favorite Disney character(s) are Anna and Elsa from Frozen and Woody and Buzz frm Toy Story series.

17. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

WARNING: TEXTWALL AHEAD!

I have the same opinion on Treasure Planet, I really think it's one of the Disney greats - though I'll admit the pop songs are out of place and B.E.N was the perfect blend of shouty and shrill to make me wince.

As for the questions -
    Starting off with a difficult one, I see! Well...

I like a lot of the newer films, especially Tangled.
    Mulan may be my favourite overall - I don't know why, it is just an amazing, epic, fun film.
    Lady and the Tramp I like for its (mostly!) peaceful and light-hearted atmosphere.
    The Sword in the Stone and Basil the Great Mouse Detective I love because of their source material and how well they execute their adaptation - though I would have loved it if Sword went into Arthur's adult life a bit more, but the book doesn't either so can't really blame Disney. If only they'd adapted the rest of The Once and Future King, though it might've stretched the definition of "child-friendly" towards the end! Another thing I like about Basil is the detail of the mouse-world and how they interact with the world of humans.
    Beauty and the Beast has a great feel about it - like an old book or a piece of classical music. And a book-loving princess, *squee*!
    Treasure Planet is in there too, of course.
    I also have a fondness for Brother Bear, though it's a fairly so-so movie.

Pixar films:

I like Monsters Inc. a lot because it's the one I most remember from my childhood - I really loved it back then!
    The Incredibles has quite a different feel from basically everything else either Disney or Pixar has done (possibly excluding Big Hero 6 as that has a somewhat similar concept, but haven't seen it yet obviously).
    Up - great characters and relationships between them, as well as a fun atmosphere, though it can get a bit too silly for me (the doggie planes) and I thought the climax dragged on a bit longer than it needed to.
    Brave - *waves teeny Saltire* C'mon. Awesome princess, some really funny bits ("We could set a trap..." ""Try shutting yours!" xD), beautiful music and scenery, myths and legends... I just love basically all of it.
    And I can already tell I'll love Inside Out.
    I don't have one. I don't know the scripts well enough to remember the standout lines, and know very little about Walt Disney as a person - which I should probably try to remedy.
    "Into the Open Air" from Brave and "I See The Light" from Tangled are my top favourites. Others I like include "Belle", its reprise and the titular song from Beauty and the Beast, "Reflection" from Mulan, "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid, and "Transformation" from Brother Bear. "Let It Go" used to be in there but it kinda wears thin after the first 50 times. :rolleyes:
    Rapunzel and Flynn/Eugene, Merida and her whole family, Mulan, Belle, Merriweather, Merlin (it is pretty much a guarantee that I'll love any incarnation of him), most of the Basil characters, Jane and Kala from Tarzan, Wall-E, Carl Fredricksen, most Lilo and Stitch characters, Scar, Violet Parr... and the Pegasi from Fantasia. :p Edit: Ursula as well!

#37 Cendaquenta, 12 November 2014
    Last edited: 12 November 2014
  18. Ariel

textwalls are more than welcome here :3

[QUOTE"]
    I have the same opinion on Treasure Planet, I really think it's one of the Disney greats - though I'll admit the pop songs are out of place and B.E.N was the perfect blend of shouty and shrill to make me wince.
    [/QUOTE]

I loved the pop songs to be honest! "I'm Still Here" is one of my favourite Disney songs that aren't strictly Disney (it sounds like a song you'd hear on the radio, unlike something like Be Our Guest) if you know what I mean

Brave would be my favourite Pixar if it weren't for Toy Story! I really love it and the animation is gorgeous :3

Walt Disney is, like, my role model, so I'm ordering you to write me a 10 page report on his life right now. I want the finished thing on my desk tomorrow morning. Lucidia text, 9pt font size.

is it wrong that Night on Bald Mountain is my favourite scene from Fantasia
    and that Chernabog is one of my favourite villains because of it
    nah i didn't think it was : D

19. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I'm torn between "eeeeep" and actually wanting to write it. :p (Tomorrow morning deadline would not be happening though!)
    I got the impression somehow that it was most people's favourite. Personally mine was the dinosaur segment because I was one of those dino-obsessed kidlets. :)

I should probably add Ursula to the favourite characters list, I forgot about her. So fabulously OTT. :D

Ariel likes this.
  20. Ariel

i would gladly write one but my writing skills are not very good so i dont think i could fill 10 pages with actual proper english, eventually it would devolve to
    "gaaaah i love him just gooooo watch his cartoons hes awesoome how can you not aaaaahh lovelovelove"

i haven't watched Fantasia in aaaaages, but I do remember the dinosaur part terrifying my older brother

[​IMG]

Cendaquenta likes this.