1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Disney Movies!

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Ariel, 7 November 2014.

1. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I kinda wish it was someone else playing Walt to be honest. No offence to Tom Hanks I mean he's a talented actor and all but I just feel that he was miscast there. True he captures Walt's charm but I really don't see him as that person all I see is Tom Hanks being Tom Hanks. Nevertheless he put up a great performance despite what I thought of him in that movie.

2. Open Book

Open Book Now with Breaking Bad.

Saw frozen for I think the 4th time today. It recently turned a year old so I thought I would tell you my current thoughts on it but just in case you haven't yet seen it...
    I still like this film particularly for the characters and the design. It's not quite timeless with the modern talk from Anna and Christoff like "I've just paid it off" but neither was tangled and a films audiences expectations are always high.
    Maybe I'm thinking this too much but could "let it go" be the villain song? Elsa can never be seen as a villain by the audience, but the fear that has been growing inside her has turned her into a recluse. She finally breaks free from all responsibilities and becomes a recluse again, this could easily be a villain like Andersans original snow queen was (need to read it though) but as we can relate to Elsa we are on her side. So no, it's not a villain song but it easily could have been.
    Olaf is a good character but the film can be harsh to him and treats him as the comic relief he is (he even gets blown away during the climax as if the films saying "we want this bit to be seriously intense and you can't fit in. The comic relief character has the hardest job.
    The songs must be the most loved element in the film (as the soundtrack has been very successful) but I don't think that a sing along event would be as good as it sounds. It's only a musical for the first two thirds. In fact as soon as "Fixer Upper" ends, it segues into dark drama and the happy comic song is forgotten about almost immediately. You don't even know that it was the last song. This isn't the only family musical that does it. In Lion King, "can you feel..." Is the last song (unless you count the 20 second hula song that the soundtracks don't). Film musicals do not garuntee a closing number apart from the credits song while most of the audience think they have to leave because the house lights have gone on (watching the credits is easier at home)
    Frozen has divided opinions. Some say it's the greatest disney film since Lion King or Aladdin. Others hate it as much as High School Musical or Glee. For me it defenatly goes on my good books.

3. Open Book

• Dug up my 11 year old copy of The lion king yesterday. Love the solid hand drawn animation and the top notch voices of James earl jones and Jeremy irons. Though I do think that casting Matthew "that's a lot of fish" Broderick was an odd move. (No offence. Love him as Bueller)
    Traded some more stuff in today:
    • Make mine music
    • Melody time
    • Peter Pan
    • Lady and the tramp
    • Sleeping beauty
    • Aladdin
    • Lilo and stitch
    MMM (new to my eyes) is excellent, especially for Peter and the wolf and The whale...
    Also, saw on Netflix Mickeys twice upon a Christmas. Quite good leaving you warm.

4. Starscream759

Really hope I get Wreck-It-Ralph and Frozen for Christmas tomorrow morning because I wanted those in my otherwise big collection of movies on the wardrobe I've got to the side of me in my room.

5. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Grumble grumble... Why must they only show the cut version of A Muppet Christmas Carol on TV?

6. Starscream759

It's only one song that they have cut from the movie other than that it's pretty much the same movie. Apparently the Love is Gone sequence is mixed depending on who you ask. It's either a very beautiful and sad song or it's just a song that drags the movie a bit.

7. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I'm in the very beautiful/sad camp. Plus it is IMHO one of the best songs in the film, thus it always really annoys me when they show h cut version.

8. Starscream759

Personally I don't mind the song but I will say it is pretty obvious if your watching the cut version cuz if it is the cut version then it'll cut straight to Gonzo and Rizzo after Young Scrooge and Belle have their conversation.

9. Open Book

I gave mum Dumbo for Christmas and have just watched it. As with all the others I've recently rediscovered, I'm continually amazed at the craftsmanship in the animation and bringing to life of the characters. It could be the most positive of the first 5 masterpieces, certainly the least epic, but overflowing with cuteness and colour. Dumbo is undoubtably alive.
    Timmy Mouse is like dumbos jiminy cricket but much more likable as a mentor. The crows are so much fun and turn from mocking to helping in the same scene,defenatly un obnoxious comic relief.

#89 Open Book, 26 December 2014
    Last edited: 26 December 2014
    Corduroy Road likes this.
  10. Open Book

Got Atlantis today just to give it another chance after I saw it back in 01 on a cross channel ferry and found it boring with no desire to see it again. Now I think it's visually creative but the story has very little going for it and the characters, though interesting still had more potential. It just doesn't feel Disney enough. Will see treasure planet soon.
    PS. My copy is in a full screen (not widescreen) aspect ratio. Wikipedia says that both versions are on the disk but I've looked and sadly I'm not lucky with mine, though it has a lot of features including a visual commentary.

11. Open Book

Time to talk about the live actions, or some of them. HMV had quite a selection, so I got four interesting ones I've never seen, So dear to my heart, babes in toy land, Darby o gill and Pollyanna.
    Here's a few of my faves (hybrids included): Mary poppins, bedknobs, flubber, Roger rabbit, old yeller, 101 Dalmatians, pirates series, enchanted, saving mr banks, tron legacy, return to oz.
    Least faves: john carter, inspector gadget, parent trap, shaggy dog (tim Allen), Oliver Twist (Elijah wood), holes,
    ones I've yet to see: Pete's dragon, incredible journey, homeward bound, 20,000 leagues, something wicked (not yet available).

12. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Fellow Disney fans I require some assistance in naming 3 things after Disney characters.

First one is a loner and spends most of its time in a corner. Doesn't like to join in with the others.
    Second is fun loving, but clumsy and is continually getting itself tangled up.
    The third is boisterous and will often bump into the others.

13. Starscream759

How about calling the first one Grumpy after the Dwarf Grumpy? Second one maybe Anna and third could be Ralph after the character of Wreck-It-Ralph.

14. Open Book

image.jpg Here's my collection at the moment, mostly accumulated recently. Could very well have them all soon. The list can differ though: dinosaur, the wild, and Winnie the Pooh '11 have been in and out of it and can the 40 min saludos amigos (which I've yet to see) really be considered a feature?
    Just watched Treasure planet for the first time since the cinema in '02. Really enjoyed it unlike back then, great design and voice acting (during the credits I was like "Patrick Mcgoohan's in this?!")

15. Starscream759

Damn son ya really follow the order of the films there. In my collection I've got: Frozen, Wreck-It-Ralph, Hercules, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Bolt, Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 1 and 3 (No idea why I haven't got Toy Story 2 but I digress), Tron along with Tron Legacy, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3 (Again similar reasons why I don't have the first film), Fantasia, The Sword in the Stone, Tangled, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Treasure Planet basically I've got quite a lot really.

16. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

Aladdin just started on channel 5.

17. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

Just saw Big Hero 6 and I enjoyed it. It's no masterpiece but still a heartwarming story and great animation, and I really like the look of San Fransokyo.

18. Open Book

Wow, this could be a challenge to memorise.

19. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

I'm watching ElectricDragon505's 'The History of Walt Disney Animation Studios' a 14 part series on youtube. It's really good although it only goes up to about 2009. It's like Nostalgia Critic's 'Disneycember' but more comprehensive. He also did one about Pixar.

Corduroy Road likes this.
  20. Corduroy Road

Corduroy Road Plug In and Power Up!

You heard of him too, eh? :D Animat does a fine job providing the facts in those vids.