1. Found a G1/G2/G3 Merch discussion in this area? Let us know so we can move it to the right forum - "Report" the thread to flag it to a member of staff.
  2. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Do you like the new reboot pony's ?

Discussion in 'Friendship is Magic - Merch & Toys' started by siacool, 6 November 2017.

?

Do you like the new mlp

Poll closed 13 November 2017.
  1. soooooooooo cooool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. like them

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. they are ok

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. hate them

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. booooooooooooooohisssssss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. siacool

siacool New Pony

the reboot pony's...

do you want to vote ?

2. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

3. Cendaquenta

Voted "they're okay". I far preferred the old toys. The open-mouthed faces on the new ones just look... odd, and the bodies are a bit too, I guess the best way I could put it is "spaghetti-ish", like they don't have proper joints or anatomical structure. The closed-mouth ones are all right though, and I like how the new wings look.

4. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Hate them as much as the old ones, simply as both types are not show accurate, yeah I hate brushies lol.

5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Had me worried there!

The toys / figures have always been a mixed bag. The open mouth thing is cute but odd. It's immaterial as I'm fully saturated with merch already :p

Cendaquenta likes this.
  6. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Another vote for "OK" here. I'm not a big brushables fan at all (I own precisely two and one of those was a gift!) but I don't have very strong feelings between the two types. Looking at the Lyra comparison photo on the link Mane25 posted, there's not much in it. The change is certainly not as startling as the one from G1 to G2! :p

7. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well, there are different requirements in what works as a toy in 3D and what works on screen in 2D, they're not meant to be figurines. Could it not be equally said that FIM isn't toy-accurate enough?

8. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

Well, the toys are the original ponies, given that My Pretty Pony appeared in 1981, three years before the first cartoon! ;)

Mane25 and Cendaquenta like this.
  9. siacool

siacool New Pony

i love the new wings on the reboot ponies too cendaquenta

10. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

The Funko vinyal range pull off show accurate figures well so it can be done. It just annoys me they think kids won't notice.

11. siacool

siacool New Pony

thanks for letting me know that mane25

12. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

But the aim isn't to produce show accurate figures, it's to produce toys - the Funko vinyl figures aren't toys (they don't have brushable hair for a start). I would even say that if it were possible to make them show accurate then that's not necessarily a reason to, if, say, a particular style change would work better as a toy, especially as the toys came first.

13. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

But the Brusable mane and tail is the most pathetically daft part of the toys as the mane and tails give a lot of characters their own uniqueness. A more toy friendly rendition of acurate main or tailcould early be tooled, I hold the somd opinion of the equily silly looking build a bears.

14. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Well I'm pretty sure they will have done their market research (and it goes without saying we're not the target audience).

Liz Knight, a long-time toy designer for MLP, gave an interesting interview (below) where she talked about the various design decisions on ponies. This doesn't cover the new reboot ponies as the interview is from 2014, specifically G4 talk starts at about 13:00, but listening to the whole thing gives context.

15. Cendaquenta

The playability of the toys is more important than them looking 100% exactly like the show. Besides, if a kid is bothered by it, there are hundreds of tutorials online for how to style the manes.

Mane25 likes this.
  16. Wonderbolt

Wonderbolt Honorary Pony

Well the reality is they do what's cheapest to mold, but I don't see the attraction of these vague representations.

17. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

Styling... yeah I just have to look at mine and they turn in to an impossible mess of knots, I've tried! :p But that's just my shortcoming and you're right, I also imagine the ability to style the mane would be a big part of the appeal for a child - and for that you'll need long hair that's a bit like a blank canvas to be creative with - as opposed to something that would look strictly like the show. That's partly why I appreciate the toys as a thing in their own right.

18. GatewaytoGlimmer

GatewaytoGlimmer Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I'm not really a fan of them. I find the heads look too big compared to the rest of their bodies.

19. Bronydiferous

Bronydiferous 'Diferous

20. fiddlepony

fiddlepony happy in her own skin

Bronydiferous likes this.