1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Do you read Discworld novels?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by alexatkin, 3 March 2014.

?

Do you read Discworld novels?

1. Yes, I have read them all

41.2%
  2. Yes, I am working through them all

29.4%
  3. Yes, I have read a few but might not read them all

11.8%
  4. No, but I am intested in reading them

17.6%
  5. No, it doesn't appeal to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. alexatkin

alexatkin Recognised Pony

I noticed several people mention how the Breezies reminded them of the Feegles from Discworld. It would make sense that as we like MLP we are generally interested in fantasy stories.

So I figured it would be interesting to poll everyone to see how many have actually read any Discworld novels.

2. Kanairu

Kanairu Cursed with intelligence.

[SQUEEEEEE]

I've read them all. Well, all in the main Discworld series - I've missed a few of the "extra" books but if he doesn't bring out any more main ones for a while, my birthday and Christmas presents are sorted. I want Nanny Ogg's cook book!

I'm a rabid Terry Pratchett fan and anyone who says they don't like him opens a real can of worms if I'm within hearing distance. My favourite character is Rincewind, followed by Death and Moist Von Lipwig. I like the witches too... and everyone. Gah. I don't think there's a single character of his that I don't like!

I have a rat named Pteppic (his full name is far more complicated and involves the entire set of titles) after the character from the book Pyramids. I've also had a parrot named Rincewind (he used to fly very close to the ground but at great speeds!) and a rabbit named Carcer [from Night Watch] (who predictably turned out to be a complete psychopath).

3. finalsight

finalsight Honorary Pony

I am a big fan of the Discworld books. I've read the whole main series (most of them several times), most of the short stories and 3 out of the 4 science of Discworld books.

I know @Iain is currently working his way through them. Lat i heard he was starting Lords and Ladies, but he's probably up to Interesting times by now.

4. Empress

Empress クロックワークのように

i got distracted by a light novel, so i'm still on Lords and Ladies

i'll probably get back to it soon, they make good reading when it's quiet on the service desks at work

but yeah i'm going through them in the order they came out so

5. Alliminaro

Alliminaro Old Man Minaro

Aye, I've read the vast majority at this point. Only not read a couple of Pratchett's newer books just because I've had myself a book backlog from having a couple of years where I've not been reading as much as I used to. Eventually I'll catch myself up again :p

But yeah, I have 2 large rows of my bookshelf purely devoted to Terry Pratchett at this point, although my brother is the one who has a few signed books. I've never had the chance, personally. :D

6. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

I've read all of the main series at least once, and my favourites (such as the Watch books) far more! The only reason I don't actually have them all is because there are so many literary series that I follow, that it's almost impossable to keep up to speed with them all and stay financially solvent.

7. Kanairu

I've love to actually meet him and get a book signed. The book I'd want signed would be Reaper Man, as that's the first one I ever read. His books have got me through some really bad times, so I have a lot to thank the guy for!

8. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I used to be an absolute devotee, but my interest flagged a bit about where
    they finally allowed moveable type
    since I preferred the more medieval feel of the earlier books. I'll probably give those another go before long, though. Favourite book? Maybe Carpe Jugulum: in a way it's a shame that the "adult" Witches books seem to have ceased, since Granny Weatherwax may well be my favourite character of the lot, but it was a heck of a story to go out on! Granny was terrifying at times in that, which I'm sure she'd be pleased by. Other books I can easily return to: well, most of the first 25 or so, but Small Gods is always right up there.

9. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

Just finished reading Raising Steam - only ones I haven't read so far are the most recent Science of Discworld, and The Amazing Maurice.

Had the opportunity to meet him years ago, and he was lovely, one of the nicest people I've ever met; he even wrote me a note in the back of my copy of Witches Abroad, to excuse the fact that I had skipped off school to meet him :D

10. Kanairu

I am seriously jealous of you! I'd really love the chance to meet him... I need to find out if he comes up North any time this year...

The Amazing Maurice is great by the way, I'd definitely recommend it. It's really dark for a children's book but man, even as a younger teen, I loved it.

11. Cuttleshock

Cuttleshock Shuffle Champion

All I've read of Pratchett is The Colour of Magic and the non-Discworld Nation. I did love both, particularly the former; a friend of mine constantly urges me to read them, so I may get onto that after I catch up on How to Train Your Dragon.

12. Robshi

Robshi Young Dragon

I've read a few of them, most of them being the newer books. I'm trying to read all the books with Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegles lately, I read Wintersmith and the Wee Free Men last year and I'll be trying to dig out A Hat Full of Sky at some point.

13. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

I've read them all except Raising Steam, plus quite a few of his non-Discworld books. To be honest though I've gotten a bit less interested recently - I haven't been enjoying the latest additions to the series very much, they've seemed quite meandering and tired to me. I did like Dodger, though.
    Also, quite excited about the film adaptation of The Wee Free Men, assuming it doesn't get lost in development hell.

14. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

The Colour of Magic is fun, but when you look back on it from later in the series it's very obviously a point at which the whole Discworld idea isn't quite yet fully formed. (Yes, yes, similarities to a certain cartoon's first story noted!) Apart from anything else, Death isn't quite the character he later becomes. I think it's really only with the fourth book in the series (Mort) that Pratchett truly finds his voice.

15. Thorn

Thorn Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

I'm not the world's biggest Discworld fan, but Terry Pratchett is a fantastic author. I was actually introduced to Discworld via the point-and-click games my Dad bought. My favourite Discworld books are (in no particular order) Eric, Guards Guards, The Truth, Wee Free Men and Thief Of Time.

My mother however is an avid Discowrld fan. She owns all the books and once got to meet Terry Pratchett himself.

16. Kanairu

To be fair, the guy's brain is degrading. :p You've gotta give him kudos for even continuing and while yeah, some of the disease is becoming noticeable in his work (mostly in his sentence structure, I find), it's so amazing to me that he's even still writing the dang things that I can completely forgive it. I've found his past few books (I LOVED Making Money and Thud!) to be great additions to the series and while I've been a bit surprised at how fast Snuff and Raising Steam have rushed some social development on the world along, I'm still really looking forward to the next potential book.

17. alexatkin

I forgot to say of course, I have been working through them slowly in-order for some time and am currently up to Unseen Academicals. (although it seems my list is slightly out of order as I recently read I Shall Wear Midnight)

18. 20%isthedream

I was considering on buying the first book a few weeks ago, either that or the 2nd Jack Reacher novel. Ended up coming out with nothing though :(

19. alexatkin

I'm struggling to convince myself to read the last book now, because its the last book. :(

20. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

If you're just getting into Discworld, The Colour of Magic isn't the best place to begin, unless you're reasonably familiar with Tolkein, LeGuin, and Lovecraft. A better place to start might be one of the other sub-series, such as Guards! Guards! (The City Watch; my personal favourites) Witches Abroad (The Witches) or Mort (Death) There's also one or two stand-alone books like Small Gods that are pretty good.