1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Do you read Discworld novels?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by alexatkin, 3 March 2014.

?

Do you read Discworld novels?

1. Yes, I have read them all

41.2%
  2. Yes, I am working through them all

29.4%
  3. Yes, I have read a few but might not read them all

11.8%
  4. No, but I am intested in reading them

17.6%
  5. No, it doesn't appeal to me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Irregular Apocalypse

Irregular Apocalypse Follo teh oranj hoers ...

I'd argue that the first three books (Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic and Equal Rites) are best avoided for Discworld 'beginners' - CoM is a pretty generic comic fantasy novel, albeit a pretty good one, and The Light Fantastic is pretty much more of the same. Equal Rites, of course, introduces us to Granny Weatherwax, but it's still fairly obvious that a lot of what became 'core' Discworld ideas weren't quite there yet.

A friend of mine wanted to get into the Discworld novels so I suggested these to him, based more-or-less on character:
    • DEATH related: "Mort" (well, duh!) followed by "Reaper Man" and "Hogfather"
    • City Watch: "Guards! Guards!" followed by "Men at Arms" and "Thud!" "The Fifth Elephant" is worth reading to because it's a cracking example of a detective novel, IMO.
    • Rincewind: "The Last Continent", "Interesting Times"
    • 'Standalone': "Pyramids" (my personal favourite), "Thief of Time", "Small Gods"
    • Moist von Lipwig: A tie between "Going Postal" and "Making Money".
    • The Witches: "Wyrd Sisters", "Witches Abroad"
    • Tiffany Aching: All of them! Forget the 'young adult' tag - they're worth it for the Nac Mac Feegle (with occasional traces of Nanny Ogg). Haven't read "The Shepherd's Crown" yet, though.
    Sadly, I pretty much gave up after "Unseen Academicals" because it was becoming fairly obvious that PTerry's 'embuggerance' was making its presence felt - "Snuff" was pretty good, but "Raising Steam" just didn't do it for me.

YMMV, of course.

Loganberry likes this.
  2. Loganberry

Loganberry Element of Custard

I'm not sure I'd have wanted to start on the Witches with Witches Abroad -- it does work better (for me, at least) if you're used to the way characters interplay in Wyrd Sisters. You can probably wait until later for Equal Rites, admittedly, though there may be some slight background issues with one major character.

I'd certainly agree with the other two choices, though -- both excellent books. I generally suggest Mort myself, since it's the first book that feels like what Discworld later turned into, rather than the more straightforward fantasy satire you refer to.

3. 20%isthedream

Is it in a similar style, or is it just references to the series? I've read The Hobbit and 2/3 Lord of the Rings books though I usually tend to prefer easier to read books since I have bad focus (which is why I liked The Hobbit the most from Tolkein, the films were disappointing though). I'm assuming Discworld isn't a completely linear series right?

4. Irregular Apocalypse

The keyword, for the first three books at least, is 'parody' - there's a general skewering of the whole fantasy genre with more than the occasional reference to LoTR and other fantasy series (some more obvious than others). Most people, myself included, are of the opinion that the whole things settles down from 'Mort' onwards by which time he's building on the ideas which most people now associated with the Discworld novels.

The 'linearity' of the series is an interesting one - the first few books can be read in pretty much any order but later on there are distinct sequences of books centring on certain characters (eg. the witches, the City Watch etc.) which need to be read more or less in order if you want to get the most out of them - PTerry was quite fond of call-backs to earlier books.

I'd be hard put to compare Pratchett to any author, to be honest - once the whole Discworld 'world building' had settled down he'd developed a style which was very much his own.

5. Cendaquenta

Cendaquenta she / they

Just finished reading Going Postal - rereading the first two Moist von Lipwig books before going on to Raising Steam. It's the first Discworld book I've read since Terry died and it's made me miss him intensely. :(

6. Laurence Hammond

Laurence Hammond I play to win!

I haven't read them all but I have read The Amazing Maurice and Wee Free Men.

My dad, on the other hand, has. He also met Terry Pratchett.

7. Irregular Apocalypse

I think Going Postal is the best of the Moist von Lipwig books - the audiobook version is good, although I'm jiggered if I can remember who narrated it (might have been Stephen Briggs)

As much as I wanted to like it, I thought Raising Steam was a bit of a dud.

Funnily enough, there's a guy who regularly drives the Park and Ride buses in York who looks exactly like how I imagine Mr. Groat would look, even down to the laughably obvious (but, fortunately, non-sentient) syrup :D

#27 Irregular Apocalypse, 27 November 2015
    Last edited: 27 November 2015
  8. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

i have the Shepherd's Crown sat ready to read at home; but I can't bring myself to read it, because then it would be over.