1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Do You Think MLP Changed You?

Discussion in 'General My Little Pony Discussion' started by Allie, 21 March 2015.

1. Allie

Allie Active Pony

Ive been thinking about this today and wondering. I think it has changed Sam in that today he was playing with his Doctor Who figures for the first time in AGES and instead of his usual games the baddies all had to be goodies and everyone was friends.

For me I seem to be a lot more relaxed about actually walking away from friendships recently. Its almost like I have gone for a whole quality over quantity thing and I am actually seeing friendships for what they are and moving away from the friendships which are more but aquantences that I dont particularly like anyway.

2. Kohler

Kohler Archduke Franz Ferdinand

It certainly has changed me. Cheesy as it feels to write, watching the show made me a much more (for lack of a better word) tolerant person, and overall it has certainly lifted my spirits in just a general way. It's no bad thing to watch, that's for sure.

Danishbrony2011 and Irishbrony like this.
  3. Mane25

Mane25 Honorary Pony

It helped restore my faith in humanity, which was at a low point when I discovered the show (I was going through a difficult time). It was seeing something with such good messages emerge from what seemed like a very hostile world, and especially from something like the marketing of a toy franchise designed to make money but that you could still see the goodness in humanity shining through, and seeing so many people embrace it. Even if the whole world hasn't embraced these ideas, it gives a lot of hope. It's made me convinced that people can make the world better, even if it's only bit by bit, by being kind to each other, and that's something that anyone can do and make their own small difference.

4. F.I.N.E.

F.I.N.E. Less than 50 characters.

I don't think it's really changed me, but it has helped me identify the values that are truly important for me, at a time when I felt less certain than previously about who I was. I've also made new friends, and developed new hobbies as a result of getting involved with the fandom, and meeting others who share my enthusiasm for magic talking ponies and unicorns!

5. Recurrent Trotting

Recurrent Trotting Do you feel the same?

Yes! I used to be a newt :p

anyhoof at first it made me very enthusiastic about creating things and connecting with people, which I hadn't really felt since I was a kid. That died away a bit, but then other stuff in my life became better and I think that ponies have been part of a generally positive few years for me :3

heh perspective on friendship was a little unexpected :p

although even the show covers the "what about people who you can't be friends with" question pretty well
    [​IMG]

but I think I know what you mean - a few of my friends (mainly my female friends come to think of it) talk about hollow friendships and the value of focusing on people who genuinely value you

6. You got better though right? :p

In reply to the question, it's certainly made me less cynical thats for sure.

7. SamP20

SamP20 Honorary Pony

I think the show has changed me. When I first started watching the show (in my second year of University) I felt I had a lot in common with Twilight Sparkle. I too didn't seem to think much of friendship and was more interested in studying, hence why I didn't get along very well at school. Throughout the episodes the friendship letters at the end of each episode made me stop and think. It made me realise who my real friends were, and how important they are to me (similar to you @Allie).

Another thing the show did was to make me less afraid to show the softer side of me. I'll admit now that I've shed a tear or two during some of the episodes.

Finally I like to think I'm a lot more accepting of people outside of the ordinary. That was reinforced with my very first meet with the Bristol Bronies where I got to meet some really awesome people. Those were the same people who helped me out later with my emotions after my parents had found out I was a Brony (they met me in Bristol on the same day... oops!). To this day I'm still meeting new and interesting people both inside and outside the fan base (although a lot I meet outside end up being inside too!).

Sorry if I've talked too much or have said anything a bit too deep. I do tend to get carried away on these subjects! Overall My Little Pony has been a really positive experience for me.

Allie likes this.
  8. Irishbrony

Irishbrony Insert cool title here

It hasn't had a major impact on me but now that i think about it i like to spend more time with friends and im more excepting of people now. I also try to do the old thing to be nice to people i dont know.

I generally fell more happy because The brony community is like nothing ive experienced in my life. Everyone has something good to say and i was welcomed with open arms which is strange for me and noone is their to pick at everything u do instead they praise and encourage you.

Im bad at explaining these things but to finish il say im proud to be in this community.

9. Allie

Allie Active Pony

I am starting to come to the conclusion that Bronies have more fun, I want to be a Bronie! LOL ---- I am getting Sam an applique varsity jacket made and I think I will get it made it in purple and the front it going to be Twilights cutie mark and on the back is all 6 ponies, I was going to have Friendship is Magic embroidered underneath but instead I think I may get Bronie!

Irishbrony likes this.
  10. Irishbrony

Irishbrony Insert cool title here

Sounds good to me go for it. U should post a photo when u get it

11. Redback Sigil

Redback Sigil Resident brony sage, writer and on/off artist

Yes, for a number of reasons:

1. It refuelled my passion for drawing and writing. Beforehand, I used to do alot of drawing and fanfics and suchlike, but it never really got much attention or interest from other people, so I had no idea if what I was doing was the right way or if it was any good. But now with the brony fandom, I am actually getting feedback for my stuff for the first time in ages! So I actually have some feedback to work off of and I do genuinely feel like I'm improving.

2. It has given me something to follow. Before MLP, most of the TV shows and movies I was interested in were already over, so when I first started watching MLP, that as the first time I had a proper show for me to follow, and eagerly anticipate new episodes of. Of course, at that time I hadn't discovered Gravity Falls, but still.

3. It has genuinely helped in my relationships side of life. Every now and then my gf and I will be in some situation where we have to make some tough decision, and I've brought up a lesson from the show that is relevant, and alot of times this has turned out to really help. Needless to say the morals about love and friendship don't just apply to little kids!

MCtoastie likes this.
  12. Snowyshy

Snowyshy A UKoE US Poster

Sounds nice Allie. Both with Sam's playing and your thing with friendship.

For me, renewed my faith with people online. For the longest time, I've tend to join video game communities where people just aren't nice over the littlest things (if I still went to them, I'm sure someone would have a field day over me liking Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, that kind of little things, attacking others over likes and opinion), it made me worry about people online for the longest time because I was picked on so much. Fortunately I haven't had that much trouble in the MLP community. Almost everyone (save for a few people, I think @Cloudane knows who they are) have been very nice. It's been a very positive experience for me.

Also helped me with being myself. Being someone who is afraid of what others think. Sometimes, wearing a pony shirt just feels really encouraging to me. Here's something that's super cute, super sweet, and super girly, on my shirt, and for some reason I feel good wearing it. Others may think it's silly a guy wearing ponies, but I dunno, I always have this feel-good feeling when I wear a shirt with a pony I like on it. It's like that pony (or ponies case of more than one) is everywhere with you. :) Also, these are the kind of characters you could only find on girls shirts, not shirts for men.

Nothing major, at times, I feel like hugging mom more than I use to. I wasn't big on hugging when I was younger.

MCtoastie and Cloudane like this.
  13. MCtoastie

MCtoastie Element of Elements

I would have to say yes :D
    When I got into MLP (November 2014, everyone remembers their first :p) I had a big flood of emotions that I hadn't felt in years hitting me at once, I even burst into tears for a min :oops:, don't know why I wasn't upset or anything it just randomly happened :S Anyways, after calming down and stuff, it has rekindled my passion for a lot of things (drawing and such) it's even given me back the motivation to try and sort things out in my life. Also realizing that there's still a lot of nice people out there :)

14. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

I would certainly say some of the episodes have given me food for thought and have been incredibly useful tools to highlight to other people about their behaviour when it has been less than thoughtful of others.

I have changed for the better I believe, as an indirect result of the show and fandom - I met my fiancé @BRJ though this forum and he has certainly changed me and my life for the better.

Bridle Timeout, BRJ and Irishbrony like this.
  15. BRJ

BRJ The King benieth the Dome

This would be my answer. :)

Dax, Bridle Timeout and Irishbrony like this.
  16. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I'm going to be that guy who says no :p

Okay, that's not quite true...

Fundamentally I've always been this same person. Geeky, an optimist, a love for cute things, a massive kid who never really "grew up" and really doesn't want to, in touch with my feminine side a bit, emotional, tending to obsess with whatever I'm into at the time. Generally someone who likes to be kind, caring and considerate towards others, barring the occasional slip-up. Okay, several slip-ups (pobody's nerfect). And I've spent most of my internet life a fan of "hugboxing".

But it did find me at a time when I'd viewed myself as having "matured past" things like "hugboxing" (when enough people tell you that showing care for others via the internet is insincere you start to believe it) and hadn't made any internet friends for a long time. I'd long drifted away from internet friends I'd made in the past (I do have a tendency to shy away from things like Skype when it gets overly time consuming, and lose touch with people) and ended up writing the idea off as a lost cause.

Cue the nicest community I've met so far. Right now it's here but at the time this was Ponychan (despite the reputation that imageboards usually have) as it was just the nicest thing I'd ever seen - everyone was just falling over themselves to help each other when they're down and have fun together when they're not. I always remember there was a girl who was under some kind of abuse from her parents and was just starting to come of age so she could finally escape them and take action, and the people there ran a daily thread just to support her. (I'm not sure what actually became of her in the long run.. will have to have a google). This community spirit completely bowled me over and I'd say it's actually that which made me watch more episodes and the whole thing fed into itself.

I would say I've not fundamentally changed as a person hence the initial "no" but it has re-awakened several aspects about me and made me remember the sort of person I wanted to be. It's also made me loads of friends and reminded me that internet friends are 100% real and just as valid as RL ones. I think some will be lasting a lifetime, so when you look at it that way, yes, it has changed my life after all :)
    Oh and the open minded, loving and tolerating nature of the community made me feel more confident exploring my sexuality as well (even though the census says LGBT percentage isn't really any more than the real world, there seemed to be loads about). I still don't really know for sure where I stand with that (that's for the related thread) but I don't think I'd have looked into it much otherwise.

#16 Cloudane, 23 March 2015
    Last edited: 23 March 2015
    MCtoastie likes this.
  17. Terton

Terton Bio-mechanical Horse Artist Guy

Certainly has. After having lost any desire to do creative things, watching the show and engaging with the fandom rekindled my love for creativity.

18. Phill

Phill Honorary Pony

It sure has. I'm a hippo now

19. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

I'm a giraffe.

They hate me at the ENT.

20. Shadowpony

Shadowpony Active Pony

I dont think mlp changed me, I know it has. Before ponies I never traveled far...a bus rde here and there but only to my near by shopping area. After Ponies I found myself going out more and to further places just to get to meets, I went to BUCK so yeah. I go out more and meet people, talk to them and made new friends. Ponies 4 ever!!

PS Rainbow is best pony, Luna is best Princess and Scoots is best CMC in my opianion

Cloudane likes this.