1. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

I'm certainly curious about the "Caretaker", after the Curator...

2. AlexAlexAlex

AlexAlexAlex Professonal Memer

3. The Hindmost

The Hindmost I believe in Cranky Cool

Sue hype here (I couldn't help myself)

4. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

heck yeah i'm hype!

5. Joshywooful

Joshywooful Discord HypeSquad Member

I'm definitely hyped about the new episode tonight!

6. SRainboom

SRainboom The Girl With The Most Cake

I never liked Matt Smith much, but I didn't really dislike him either. He could be entertaining at times but he just didn't do much for me. I'm glad they chose Capaldi, reminds me of Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton. The Doctor is back!

Steampunk + Dinosaurs + Capaldi = Awesome!

#666 SRainboom, 23 August 2014
    Last edited: 23 August 2014
    Parthidens likes this.
  7. Omega Sprinkle

Omega Sprinkle The Adjectiveless

Thought today's new Doctor Who episode was a touch long and got curious, the episode run time is seventy six minutes, the '96 movie was eighty five minutes long. Neat, just a few minutes of padding and they could easily beaten the movies run time.

8. Magpie

Magpie Burd, Wielder of the West Country Logic

So glad to see the back of the Matt Smith Doctor, I was never a fan of his personality in the role. Capaldi gives off such a dark vibe that I feel as though series 8 is going to have a refreshing direction. It's just a shame that all the episodes won't be feature picture in length, I'm always a fan of a tv series that feels like an ongoing movie and usually longer screen time can greatly improve the writing transition to the televised edition. Though this is subject to the quality of the writing, that is down to you writers of the BBC. ;)

9. TheYESDragon

TheYESDragon All hail Sunset Shimmer!

Ehh, the episode was mixed for me. Capaldi was great in his role, so was Jenna and the humour was top-notch with the tense moments being there at the right times. Matt Smith's 11th Doctor appearance was amazing, he's my favourite Doctor and it made sense for him to phone Clara. I hope that the next episodes have better plots than this one, which seemed a bit like the old 45 minute long "find out what's wrong, spend 2 minutes defeating the bad guy" ones where actually resolving the problem seemed a bit rushed.

10. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Really enjoyed Capaldi's first full episode. The series does look like it's going in a darker direction, which I like, and the central story of the episode (the standard 'the Doctor gets used to his new face') was driven by a great central performance (as well as some really welcome character development for Clara). The actual adventure itself was also pretty good, and it was great to see some nods to previous things in Who (Capaldi's brief Tennant impersonation was pretty funny), and the surprise cameo towards the end of the episode was lovely too. I think Twelve is going to be an excellent Doctor - unlike other leads in Who, Capaldi pretty much felt like he was perfect for the role from the word go.

So, while some may not have liked the slightly different tone or Capaldi not being Smith, I really enjoyed 'Deep Breath'. Here's to a similarly excellent Series 8.

11. Dylia

Dylia Jeune Fille Garnement

Well, I have mixed feelings on it.
    Mixed because I wasn't keen on the storyline of the episode. I just wasn't really interested in it, other than the callback to Series 2.

Other than that, I loved it. The tension was great, and the callback to the Fireplace plotline didn't seem too out of the blue. And Capaldi's performance was top notch. I have really high hopes for him.

Going into the series, I won't lie, I was worried that they would draw out the Clara doesn't trust the new Doctor thing, but how they handled it (by keeping it contained within a single episode, and that Clara's performance actually made it believable and not put on) was a pleasant surprise.

Again with all my opinions, they're my own, so feel free to object to any of the above as it's not fact.

Also dat new intro.

12. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I have to say after seeing the first episode of the new series, it looks really promising. Pete Capaldi definatly did a good job as the new doctor and they are really going for a new change in direction with the show which I'm all up for, quite a lot of tense moments and I did like the nods towards the 4th and 10th Doctors. Overall not a bad start for the new series and hopefully Capaldi can offer more to the table than Matt Smith did at least for me.

13. Cloudane

Holy crap this was amazing, okay spoilers for episode 1

I do kinda.. maybe shed a manly tear or two at television sometimes...
    I don't think I've ever been so moved to (*ahem.. pretty much hugging Dash tightly and blubbing*) by Doctor Who, though. It could not have been more perfectly timed - at BUCK, as those of us who went readily saw, we have people from all walks of life. Men, women. Young, old. Some people fresh and cute, some older, balding, grey, whatever. Some lively, some shy. Some light, some overweight.

Some hiding behind veils
    Some displaying exactly who they are

All are lovely people. All came and made themselves known and loved. Some needed help, too.
    And I'm darn sure that many if not all of them were going through the same worries as the Doctor here. Will I be accepted. Am I too old? Too grey? Too big? Too shy? Too weird? It's a fear that I think everyone faces at some point in their lives, and to see it played out so beautifully... I can't ask for better.
    "I'm standing in front of you. You just can't see me" - that pushed me over the edge
    Also, using Matt Smith as a handover towards the end there delivering that message... just wow.
    I'm not sure I've seen a much better hour of television than this. It just blew me away, it was beautiful.

Serious stuff aside, dat humour - I love how they tackled the point of his accent :)
    Also, talking to the horse about relieving it of its pet XD
    He's seen the face before... a reference to the same actor being in a previous ep, maybe?
    His cross eyebrows could start an independent state XD
    And he does a REALLY good David Tennant "OHHHH THAT'S GOOD" impression :D
    Oh yeah and that opening. Great to see a fan's work become commissioned for the real thing, that's great.

10/10 absolutely superb

#673 Cloudane, 26 August 2014
    Last edited: 26 August 2014
  14. nerdowl

nerdowl Dr Who & MLP Fangirl

Wow. I'm really loving Capaldi's era so far.

With todays ep I was a little concerned from the trailer (but only because I'm one of the very few people who don't really like the 9th Doctor episode Dalek), but if anything I liked this even more than last weeks.

Capaldi is really becoming brilliant and as to Jenna I think she plays off him better than she did off of Matt.

15. Vianessa

Vianessa Something terrible’s happened, no idea what it is

Who has any ideas about what Missy and her supposed 'heaven' are?

Parthidens and Silvarrn like this.
  16. Cloudane

I have no idea. It's one of these stupid mystery things like the woman with the eye patch (which I never did really understand!)

Pretty good episode, bit weird. It's interesting to see the Doctor being a total flankhole, he's - yeah trying to be a good man, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a nice man :p Perhaps he'll find that again... I do prefer the thought that he's still the nice chap that the last few were and doesn't just always run the risk of regenerating into a flankhole. The old thing of his appearance and nurture changing but not his nature. Still, I think he learned/remembered a few things about himself too. The Beeb are really playing the "this Doctor is nasty" thing up pretty hard though.

Borrowed some bracelets from Blake's 7, I see! Along with "Seek locate destroy" :p

Borrowed a phrase from the Borg, too.

I hear the old Dalek craft "boop.. boop.. boop" sound from the classic series!

Where did they find the shower, washing machine, dryer and hair brush after falling into the soylent green stuff??

Glad that Clara is a good strong character who isn't breaking down at this and isn't afraid to give the Doctor a slap when he deserves one.

Parthidens likes this.
  17. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

I'm thinking Missy is either the TARDIS (because why not?) or the big villain (maybe someone like the Rani, or someone with a connection to the Time Lords).

'Into the Dalek' was an interesting episode - not quite sure if it worked for me, but it had some great moments.

Was anyone else hoping for an Ian Chesterton cameo at Coal Hill School? :p

Cloudane likes this.
  18. Cloudane

I always hope for him when Coal Hill appears :p

Parthidens likes this.
  19. vcgriffin

vcgriffin the (Quie Deaf) mustached Subgenius pony

Deep Breath:
    Was good, but Its hard to watch it on a story level, as opposed to a story all about the Doctor, and on the third higher level about ourself (see What @Cloudane said)

My criticism sadly concerns Moffat, on the one hand he wants us to be able to follow season long, even multi Doctor long story arcs and plot points, but on the other he wants us to blindly accept the big fat reset that happened to Clara in regards to her not understanding the Doctors regeneration. Its hard to swallow considering she fell into the time vortex to save all his past selfs but cannot accept the idea of regeneration. This only works if you see her as nothing but a window for the new viewers perspective.

On to, Into The Dalek: (spoiler part)
    A great Dalek episode. focusing on high morals such as good, evil and war. another episode more about the doctor than anyone else.
    Containing more references to old Doctor who than you can shake a stick at (though how many of us are meant to be able get them? it is very good at giving maximum service from the Coal Hill School, Remembrance of the Daleks 'death effects' and lots of classic lines) without getting in the way of the sorry at all.
    Its also good to see that we seem to have finally consigned the 'Time War' to the past. It was needed at the time to bring the gap between the old and the new, but it has been a millstone round the story's neck since. Being able to just jump into the middle of a Dalek story and hit the go button was refreshing.

Cloudane likes this.
  20. KirstyF

KirstyF UKofE Co-Founder

So far i'm really enjoying Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, I thought it would take me to the end of the season to get used the the new character (like it did with Matt Smith) but I'm already really comfortable with him as the Doctor. Also liking that Capaldi seems to be making him a darker character and I'm getting a bit of a Sherlock-ish vibe from this Doctor (might just be my mind though) :)

Parthidens likes this.