1. Due to spambots misusing the Conversation system, some emails from us may get marked as "spam". Please check your spam or junk folders and don't forget to mark them as "Not Spam". Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Sign-Up →Hey there! Welcome to UK of Equestria!
    Getting involved is easy and free! Hit the sign-up button and fill in a quick form to get active on the site.

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Audio/Video/Books' started by Kyon, 4 June 2012.

1. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Death in Diagon Alley. I'd not want to be Ashilda right now..

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  2. Starscream759

Starscream759 Honorary Pony

I really didn't care for Clara's character in the long run but I have to admit that was an effective way of getting rid of her. Damn why is it that I've seen two companions of the show die and both them I didn't particularly like them? The other one being Adric of course.

#1462 Starscream759, 24 November 2015
    Last edited: 30 November 2015
  3. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

Today's episode was excellent.

All you need is Peter for your episode and you're set!

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  4. DerpyWhooves

DerpyWhooves Rainbow Worrier

I did like this episode.

As soon as I saw "Home" on that wall I knew (or at least had an inkling) that it would be a way back to Gallifrey. And using the reset device to spend billions of years getting through it, wow. Then the castle being his confession dial. Very good episode.

5. Cloudane

Cloudane Element of Mostly Excessive Verbosity

Well that was... mostly a conceit for its director. Dat end and preview though O______O
    Is he going to regenerate? I thought Capaldi was in this for the foreseeable? Though I think it was Moffat who said that, and we all know he's a bigger liar than the Doctor himself. I want him to stick around though.
    And is he like billions of years old now, or does the time loop negate that? :S

And you thought Twilight's comment in Friendship Games about being stuck in a time loop was about her :p

Now I think I shall watch the 4th. I have Jelly Babies especially :)

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  6. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

Peter seems to be staying for series 10.

Also to answer your last question, The Doctor's mind was trapped in his confession dial, so what seemed billions to him may have just been five minutes for his actual body.

Cloudane and DerpyWhooves like this.
  7. DerpyWhooves

I don't think it's Capaldi's regeneration. Though the regeneration of what or whom I don't know ...

Cloudane likes this.
  8. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

Maybe we'll discover how the Master became Missy?

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  9. DerpyWhooves

Ooh, that would be interesting. I assumed he stole a body like he did before, except a female one.

10. Starscream759

Really enjoyed last weekend's episode. Well they weren't kidding when they said it would just be the Doctor for this episode and Peter's really giving it his all here. With that said, I move on with The Ark in William Hartnell's era but unfortunately I've watched the first part of the story and.....urghhh I'm starting to see why people really loathe Dodo. I mean what kind of name for girl is "Dodo" anyway?

11. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

The kind when writers try to be "hip" with the sixties generation.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  12. Starscream759

More like stupid they were going for. I must ask why they decide on making her a companion when she did was barged into the TARDIS and just accept the fact that a blue police box materialised right in front of her and doesn't question it being there?

13. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

M MMMM MMMM (Translation: I don't know,)

14. Starscream759

Well whatever the case I'm not a fan of Dodo, period. After I'm finished with The Ark I've only got three stories left and then it's back to Peter Davison's era for me.

15. Dax

Dax The Great and Powerful Daxie

So after watching the Doctor straight after MLP's finale... (both later than aired).. I was stunned by the parallel between the two - each time going back and getting slightly further than the last time they started the time loop. I think my brain melted.

Cloudane, CuldeeFell and DerpyWhooves like this.
  16. Starscream759

You were expecting an episode of The Doctor meeting Rarity? :p

Dax likes this.
  17. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

A pretty decent finale I thought.

The entire episode was The Doctor getting his revenge on the Time-Lords, and too right as well.

Still though I personally feel that the previous episode Heaven Sent was the finale, while this one, Hell Bent was the epilogue to that.

DerpyWhooves likes this.
  18. Patrick Rowberry

Patrick Rowberry waits for series 9 of robot wars

uhm.....

great emotion but that over blow story was a mess

i understood it but by god was it failed to get across what it wanted

so this 3 parter is to show that the time lords wanted to trap the dr for info he didn't no but only pretend to know because of assistant

the idea is there the execution was of

i did like the twist ending though (clara would make a better dr then the one we have)

the dr came over a bit to aggressive i got want they were trying to do but they made him like a jerk

in my oppion dr who is the reveres mlp

in witch mlp gives you alot with a little
    and dr who can't give you that much with a lot

ok guys you know what time its it is vs not thursday

mlp 5 finally vs dr who s9 finally

both tackle time travel
    so this should be more interesting

worlds (which had the more creative worlds)

dr who and mlp can make realy amazing worlds and these episodes are no different however

dr who has gallifry witch looks amazing on the outside but so bland and generic and forgettable if the charters didn't have the costume i would forget this was galifray as it looked more like bland future world then any things else

the hidden world in the previous part was just a victory village with villains in nothing that special

but were dr who was best was the castle that moved this is clever and is very creative

but mlp creative worlds are more unique as each world is take on equestria taking over by 1 of the previous villains

and here is where mlp gets all my love because the charters don't just show you these worlds but how much it effects them with some amazing images and back story's for are charters from into these worlds heck they show the effects of a war not just for the ponies on the battlefield but also the ponies back home (i'm not lieing)

https://www.youtube...

it can take mlp 1.42 mints to shows so much yet dr cant get a plot going to the 15 minutes in the ep

this with a world begin taking over by changeling

and many more creative worlds means that mlp gets the point

next round is
    charters

dr acts like a jerk

and twilight negotiates a villain into begin a good guy

mlp wins quite easily

story

so in mlp the starlight simmer retunes to get revenge and goes back in time to stop the rainboom (basic mean's stopping twilight finding her her friends which cause all the alternate worlds and twilight must go back and forth though many worlds to stop here and each world see comes back to is worse then the last

and mlp explains this shows this and makes you experience this in less the 1 hour and still makes you turn the gambit of emotions from sadness begin scared and relief

all dro who can do is make you feal sad and it can do it very well but mlp made me feal so much more in less time

this 3 parter score 58/100

there are some good bits in it but you have to understand and disjointed story because mlp has done a complicated story and still got its point across and still made me feal and still was easy to follow because they explained they didn't use exposition they used there tolls they showed you amazing worlds to understand because they understand you don't always need words

so it was a bit unfair of me to compare dr who to something so amazing but
    it just shows dr who should have less talking and shorter stories so it can express more

dr princess twilight sparkle
    less is more

to much can over complete something and when some thing is like that it is un-believable hard to follow but when a show work out how much to show and how much not to show and it can tell any story with any length of time

19. Parthidens

Parthidens Honorary Pony

Well, it might just be me wanting to be cynical, but honestly, that finale was a bit of a let-down. I really can't stress enough that I loved the rest of Series 9 (with the possible exception of 'Sleep No More'), but the finale seemed to have a brilliant setup and not deliver on it. Instead of an episode where we could have had a dark Doctor facing off against the Time Lords, the Valeyard inching ever closer and the epic return of Gallifrey, we had a story devoted to Clara, who I thought would have better used as a narrative bookend when she was killed off a couple of episodes ago.

By resurrecting her and making her basically immortal after the Doctor spent billions of years dealing with her death, it seems like the writer (I'm guessing it was Steven Moffat) prefers the message of 'and they all lived happily ever after' to 'sometimes people die, and you have to deal with it'. I know Doctor Who's about the idea that unpleasant things exist but the Doctor can prevail against all odds, but giving Clara more time kind of feels like a narrative cop-out, as if Moffat was scared to actually kill her off. A death in fiction has to mean something.

I liked the stuff with the Time Lords though, and they felt like they really had progressed since the Time War, still just as corrupt and overbearing as ever (which is a good thing, because that's generally how they are in the series). The president being Rassilon was a nice touch, so hopefully we'll see him again, and I liked the fact that the Doctor returned to the shack in the desert, and of course the original design TARDIS. Ooh, and the new sonic looks cool. But it just feels like, as in many episodes of Series 8, the whole finale centred on Clara, to the detriment of everything else. We didn't see any resolution to the General, or Rassilon, or anything else that was happening on Gallifrey. I know Jenna Coleman is no longer in Doctor Who, but the way Clara was cheerily resurrected in the finale makes me wonder if she's going to stick her head through the door in a future episode. In fact, I half-expect Moffat to do a George Lucas and go back and pop Clara into the background while the Doctor talks to Susan.

Still, with Coleman gone and Moffat no longer able to have her on set, hopefully we can have some great stuff in the future and have some good old-fashioned decent stories like the rest of Series 9.

vcgriffin and Robshi like this.
  20. WelshPony

WelshPony Habitual Pony

Clara is not going to come back, she's still going to die anyway. Besides Coleman is moving to another TV show, so it does seem that her Doctor Who career has ended.

A little trivia here: This episode and the Christmas episode were going to be Moffat's last. But since the BBC couldn't get anyone else to replace him, he has to write another series.